376 Steyr Prohunter Mountain

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by Maddoxgl, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Maddoxgl

Maddoxgl New Member

Where have all the 376 Prohunter Mountain models gone? Anyone know where to go? I see that Wally World carries Steyr now (there's no place like America!) but fail to see this model in inventory. Please help.

maddoxgl

2. AMX

AMX New Member

AFAIK, there is no 376 Pro Hunter - in fact, it appears that only Scouts are chambered in 376.

3. AMX

AMX New Member

Interesting... because it's not listed on Steyr's own site...

4. alagator

alagator New Member

It has probably been discontinued, and thus the scarcity. I did see a Las Vegas Bass Pro fine gun listing one sold at $1399. That's getting a little too precious for me, but I can't afford a safari either, so I don't need it :wink: If it has been discontinued, it means ammunition might be a problem in the future. Another problem with older Prohunters-- the bolt lift was rather stiff, making it hard to get a smooth second shot. They can be retrofitted with the newer cams-- see http://www.frfrogspad.com for a discussion about this. It is listed under his Steyr Scout pages, but it applies to all older SBS Prohunters. I had him do two of my Prohunters, and the transformation was remakable. Hope all this helps.

5. Maddoxgl

Maddoxgl New Member

Thanks all- Alagator. Real Gold actually has one listed on their site for 679!! Will give a call after Independence Day and see if it is in stock. (Ok calm down now- it's too good to be true).

maddoxgl

"But you say that money is made by the strong at the expense of the weak? What strength do you mean? It is not the strength of guns or muscles. Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think."
    Francisco's scolding of the moochers- Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

6. uncowboy

uncowboy New Member

The gun is real. I have mine. It feels so great in the hands I had to buy it even though I have the 367 Scout and love it as well. I saw ONE Mountain gun at the Valey Forge gun show but I can't remember the dealers name. You could try e mailing MFLECHER@stonehenge.org He hooked me up with mine and he had one more for sale but that was a wile ago. Mention uncowboy as the one who sent you. Good luck. J.Michael

7. Maddoxgl

Maddoxgl New Member

Thanks uncowboy. I'll give it a go-let you know. Do you relaod for the 376?

maddoxgl

8. uncowboy

uncowboy New Member

I am set up for reloading but I have not reloaded yet. When the factory ammo is gone I will start. J.Michael

9. olli9022

olli9022 Steyr Mannlicher Representative

If you really want to have one why not contact STEYR ARMS INC in Georgia?
    Try http://www.steyrarms.com - I'm pretty sure that they can "special order" one from Austria.

10. feinc

feinc New Member

Plenty of Hornady 376 ammo and brass and RCBS dies, etc. available at http://www.midwayusa.com/

Love mine - Great for elk !!!

Good Luck and Happy Hunting

11. uncowboy

uncowboy New Member

376 Steyr

Well lets hear from some other shooters of this fine caliber.
    The new Ruger 375 is a little better but requires a longer action. For me I will stick to the Scout and Mountain Rifle.
    I don't think the critters I shoot with the 376 Steyr are going to notice it lacks 100-200FPS . J.Michael

12. Lars

Lars New Member

I have a ProHunter Mountain in .376 Steyr as well as .308. I love them. I took a Black Bear in Nova Scotia this year with them.

I am looking for a Tactical one piece rail for my .376 Steyr for a scope mount.. CDNN used to sell them, does anyone have one they want to sell or know where i can buy one? hogblom@gmail.com

I am using Trijicon Accupoint Scopes on my rifles, I have to say it is a nice combo.

13. Cohiba

Cohiba New Member

i would check the for sale on this board. theres one there w/ dies ammo and brass cheap...

as for the 25 MOA rail the was sold at CDNN, its nice but too high for you to use the irons with scope off.