376 Steyr Pro-hunter

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by bob garrison, Aug 24, 2017.

1. bob garrison

bob garrison New Member

I bought a "like new" used SBS Pro-hunter 20" bbl, open 'v' rear and ramp-post front sight in 376 Steyr cal. I had reservations about getting ammo. But ordered some 225 gr. as well as Hornady dies. My press is only a HD hand 'mule-ear' portable. Well, here is my problem: This rifle, off a sandbag eith open sights and Hornady 225 gr load, shot 3 expensive rounds into one hole that could be covered by a nickel at 50 yds. I say "expensive" because the box of ammo cost $60 + $20 shipping out here to Bethel, AK. So the rifle is impressive and will take the rough treatment and shows verry goof potental. HOWEVER I was anxious to see how it reloaded. When I resized the first case there was a huge ridge at the base of the neck. Furthermore, when I put the downstroke the case head was sheared off by the no. 15 shell holder. What followed was akin to primitive plier-type machine-work. I think my rifle has a chamber that is significantly larger than the full length resuzing die--is such a thing likely?

silentheart likes this.
  2. silentheart

silentheart Member

Interesting. I hope you still have 1 or 2 round of new factory unfired round? If so, take the bolt out. Drop a round in. Push it with pinky finger and hold it there. See if you can wiggle the round in the chamber. If there is any wiggle room, yes, the chamber has space for your manufacturer crash round.
    good luck.

3. bob garrison

bob garrison New Member

Further addition to the 376 Steyr Pro-hunter with the (what I thought) "oversize" chamber. I had a bad case of "headnass" syndrome. Actually I had my sizing die mal-adjusted. However, I ordered up a custom sizing die from WHIDDEN CUSTOM DIES and got a super die with good instructions on use. I also got alead bullet mould from OLD WEST in Fruita, NM. I can really do ANYTHING in Alaska hunting with the 376 Steyr. I have quick-detach 'scope mounts for a Redfield 2-7x. But for hunting in cover or cold weather (where I can fog lens) I prefer simple open "v" and front post. I find 225 gr. loaded to 2400 fps mv are very accurate and work on deer or black bear at moderate range as does 250 gr. gas-check lead at 2000 fps. For moose, 270 gr. Hornady loaded up to 2600 fps (from my 20" bbl) is a one-shot hitter. I am actually able to get 2450 fps mv in my rifle with 300 gr. RN Hornady over
    61.5 gr. IMR 4895 (max load in their book). 376 seems to be a great combination in the Steyr Pro-hunter. Rugged, fast handling, and like ALL the .375's--when driven in the mid-2000 fps range--extremely accurate & effective. I think it is a "just-right" combination for me.