Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of exploring heavy medium bores for my next rifle, and I am intrigued by the 376 Steyr. While I find the 376 Steyr interesting, it appears that it may not have much of a future. A single source for ammo (and therefore brass) makes on highly dependent upon Hornady. I would like to hear from owners of rifles chambered in 376 Steyr as to their experiences and recommendations. I have read various accounts on this forum regrading the 376 Steyr, but usually forum posts related to issues encountered (problems) than very pleased users/owners. Thanks in advance for any responses. Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good question.
I thought of getting the ProHunter I was renting many years ago before going on a safari to Africa. I liked the performance. But then, my father-in law gave me a 338 Win mag and I let it go.
I say the 376 is worth adding to your collection IF you are into reloading. You buy a bunch of brass and the dies with the rifle and be done with it. I would not want to depend on factory ammo in 376 Steyr,though. Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm afraid I would go down the .375 H&H route. I have one and its such an easy cartridge to load, as well as being commercially available nearly anywhere its likely to be required. Its accurate and seems to throw all bullet weights close enough to the same point of impact. Its case capacity means it runs at reasonable pressures, too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
....but you cannot get an H&H in a compact tifle such as the 20" Pro Hunter. You can get a Ruger Guide Rifle in 375 Ruger. Otherwise you have to go gunsmithing....then many things are possible. I reckon 20" H&H won't be that much more "practical effect" than the 376 Steyr. I really like tha accuracy and handiness of a Pro Hunter......under $1000 too--try that in H&H. The grand ol' lady of hunting, however, packs a huge application history tho....would love to see a new Rigby Highlander in 375. But it is offered in 9.3x62.....which has almost as fine a history as the H&H. It is wonderful to explore so many options.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought 376 Steyr ProHunter SBS 20" bbl open sight. I fired 3 very expensive 225 gr Hornady off a bag rest at 50 yds into a nickel-size group. Rifle is butt-ugly but practical in every regard. I like it. In Western Alaska pretty rifles get a rough time on any hunt. This Steyr and the 376 cartridge are just right. HOWEVER handload brings it up (or down) to the agenda at hand. There are many rifles and cartridges by which to have adventures.....but for $800 this orphan found a home.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had my 376 Steyr Pro Hunter now for several months. I got a Specialty Outdoor sling, a Redfield 3x7 Revenge Scope, detachable Leupold bases, a Whidden custom sizing die (you send them 3 spent cartridges from your rifle and they make a perfect sizing die.)
I handloaded Hornady 270 gr. Interlock in new Hornady cases (resized as per instructions from Whidden), Win. Large Rifle Magnum Primers and a charge of 62.0 gr. IMR4895. I got around 2475 fps from that 20-inch barrel. BUT the accuracy was absolutely incredable hete at the Bethel, Alaska Sportsman Club Range. Recoil was not at all bad, either. I reckon the 375 H & H and the 375 Ruger probably can get 100 to 200 fps more--I could load the Steyr more too. However, this load is EXTREMELY accurate and the Pro Hunter design is really a joy to handle and shoot--the only rifle which I have which is a more natural 'pointer' is my M. 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer with its 17-1/2 barrel with open sights. But to my mind this Steyr, homely as it may appear, is an exvellent choice for bear and moose out here where conditions are wet, cold, or both and a rifle has to be reliable. I recommend the Steyr get some consideration--particuluarly because there are few handy rifles in a potent caliber for the under-a-thousand all set to go. A savage bush rifke in 375 Ruger is built tough as is the Ruger Guide Rifle. But I have not fired more accurately with a rifle of ANY caliber since when I was on my military school rifle team shooting standard velocity .22 long rifle indoor gallery competition.
If I lay it on any heavier I will have to serve cookies and milk. --Pilotbob

·
Registered
610 Posts
Uncommon cartridges are nice if the rifle is used only for hunting, so never really being shot except for sight in and moments of truth. If you plan to shoot regularly for sport and want to hunt with it a more common caliber would be a better choice. In my opinion. Unless you have $ to burn ? Then what the hell ! buy both

1 - 7 of 7 Posts