357 SIG Velocity Out of an M357?

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by srfl, Feb 27, 2006.

1. srfl

srfl New Member

While reading one of my gun rags, I came across an article by Mas Ayoob concerning the maturing of the 357 SIG cartridge. I'm a big fan of this round and enjoy shooting it out of my M357; as long as the gun doesn't malfunction, which still happens from time to time.

Ayoob stated in the article that not every ammo maker's 357 SIG meets or breaks the 1400 FPS threshold; many rounds going into the mid to high 1300's. Many a time, which is logical, the velocity is dictated by barrel length and bore construction (rifling) with the Glock 357 SIG guns adding some speed compared to competitor's guns probably due to, according to Ayoob, the Glock barrels' polygonal bores.

Anyone here chronograph Steyr's 357 SIG barrels, whether they be the factory OEM or IGB aftermarket barrels, with a variety of loads? If so, what results have you had?

I'm simply curious as to how they fare in the "speed wars."

2. srfl

srfl New Member

Thanks for the info MrA....I have several handloading books; I have dies and components to reload 357 SIG on my Dillon 550B, but haven't started yet.

I'm curious about 357 SIG velocities for factory ammo out of the Steyr barrels; your info is very helpful.