357 sig conversion barrel

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by 1Lieutenant, Jan 9, 2018.

1. 1Lieutenant

1Lieutenant New Member

I have been a big fan of the S9-A1, S40-A1 and M357-A1 Steyr pistols. Have one of each. They all are the softest shooting and accurate pistols I have owned. Totally trouble free for thousands of rounds.

Always wished I had a 357 barrel for the S40-A1 as I enjoy shooting this caliber much more than the .40. Not available from Steyr. I checked. Was reading a thread on another forum and found a place that manufactures a 357 sig barrel for the S40-A1!

Rim Country manufacturing. Seems to have very favorable reviews on the HK forums (they manufacture these as well). I will let you all know how it works. If any of you have used one, please comment here. Thanks.

MrFletch and Rim Country Mfg. like this.
  2. MrFletch

MrFletch Active Member

<snickers>.......RCM and .357 Sig really, you don't say?

All kidding aside we totally share your sentiment and appreciate the post letting folks know. Browse these forms a wee bit and you will come across a long post outlining a bit of the story and timeline behind those wonderful barrels.
    https://www.steyrclub.com/threads/a...conversion-for-your-40s-w-steyr-pistol.12066/

P.S. might I inquire to the name of that other forum?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    silentheart likes this.

3. 1Lieutenant

1Lieutenant New Member

Mea Culpa

I have not been following the forum for a while. Spent a long time searching for 357 barrels for my M40 and just gave up. Should have spent a bit more time back here.

Thanks for your gentle reminder to do a search before posting (smack forehead here)

By the way, I learned of this on Sigforum

MrFletch likes this.
  4. GLW

GLW Member

Two of those RCM 357 barrels just showed up here. I’m betting you’ll be very satisfied

5. 1Lieutenant

1Lieutenant New Member

Barrel arrived yesterday. Very quick service. Looks very well made and well finished. Plan on breaking it in tomorrow. Will report back.

Plan on comparing it to the .40

6. Rim Country Mfg.

Rim Country Mfg. Member

You will keep your 40 barrel in the safe. I prefer the 357 myself.

GLW likes this.
  7. 1Lieutenant

1Lieutenant New Member

Cleaned the barrel prior to going to the range.
    Speer Lawman 125 gr 50 rounds
    Range report:
    Barrel break in. 12 rounds. Clean with KG 12 copper remover and bore polish. Finish cleaning with Militek. Repeat after another 12 rounds. Honestly I have never done this to any barrel prior to this, but it was recommended on the Rim Country website.

Remaining rounds were uneventful. Accuracy of 357 much better than 40, but I have found this to be the case with other guns as well. Recoil much more comfortable than 40. Not like my S9-A1, but what is.

Incidental findings. Barrel finish showed much more wear than the stock Steyr 40 barrel. With over 1000 rounds the 40 barrel shows absolutely no wear to the finish. The finish on the 357 shows some wear through exposing the shiny metal. Wasn’t really expecting this after only 50 rounds. Very similar to Sig barrels. I suspect this will have no effect on longevity.

8. GLW

GLW Member

Nice report I hope it warms up sometime so I can get after it.

I would consider keeping the outside of the barrel lubed up with something like eezox (it’s a synthetic lube that you wipe the excess off and it leaves a dry film of lube).

Incase you didn’t notice check out the fit. The RCM barrel is a lot more of a precision fit compared to the factory barrel. That in itself seems to me like it would want to wear the bluing off.

My S40 shoots very well. The 40 and 357 Sig seem like a totally different type if recoil IIRC.