357 Range Report: JHP/FMJ Shootout II

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Netfotoj, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

It ain't the gun, it's the eyeballs. Tried a set of my old reliable reading glasses today at the range, vs. my fancy-dancy multi-focal prescription glasses last trip to the range, and guess what? I can shoot a lot better when the sights ain't fuzzy! 8-O

Exhibit I: Shooting from rest, 25 yds. M357-A1, WWB 125 gr. FMJ, 14 rounds.

[​IMG]

Exhibit II: Found a new practice round, Speer Lawman 125 gr. TMJ, 12 rds. No idea what's the difference between FMJ and TMJ, "full" vs. "total"? But I like the way I shoot these, despite the low flyer. Goodbye WWB FMJs.

[​IMG]

Feeling encouraged, I retested the same JHPs which I was shooting high 2 to 3 inches on last range trip with prescription glasses and fuzzy sights.

Hornady 124 gr. JHP-XTP, 4 rounds.

[​IMG]

Hornady 147 gr. JHP-XTP, 4 rounds.

[​IMG]

WWB 125 gr. JHP, 4 rounds.

[​IMG]

Not enough difference in JHPs to live on, load those mags up for CCW.

While I'm rest-shooting, gotta get the sights right on my S&W 1076 10mm, which got knocked outa line on previous trip to the range.

10mm 180 gr. FMJ, 8 rounds (after several clicks and a handful of targets)

[​IMG]

Obviously I'm still more comfortable shooting my 1076 than my M357-A1, so the 1076 keeps top pecking order as sock-drawer gun.

Enough rest shooting, time to stand up and let 'er rip :!: :twisted: Gotta get rid of my WWB FMJs so I got an excuse to buy more Lawman TMJs. (P.S. Anybody know where I can get a bulk load of Speer Lawman TMJs?)

(P.S. II: How do ya like these 11x14 red man targets? Cheaper'n'dirt at http://www.cheaperthandirt.com)

First, 15 rapid-fire rounds at 21 ft., WWB 125 gr. FMJ with reading glasses. The sights are sharp, the target is fuzzy. Gotta love those trap sights.

[​IMG]

Then 14 rapid-fire rounds, same ammo and distance as above but with prescription glasses. Sights a bit fuzzy but target's clear.

[​IMG]

Not enough difference to argue about. I guess I'm OK to wear my prescription glasses while I'm carrying. Just don't try to shoot tight groups.

Another 200+ rounds through the pipe. Now at 600+ on my M357-A1. Is she broke in yet? No FTX's but several ejects on the noggin. But I wore my cap, so what? Two FTF's, both times with first round loaded. Suspect I didn't fully close slide. Both clicked and dented, but no "Boom!" Reloaded both and second time through, "Boom!" and "Boom!" Guess I got a little limp with putting her fully into battery.

I love this gun! :mrgreen: Steyr is nuts not aggressively marketing vs. Glock. They could blow that other Austrian pistol out of the water if they'd half try. :evil:

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

nice shooting. I love the big front sight.

I had FTF when my mags were new first two rounds would FTF. loading and unloading the magazine helped but killed my thumb for a while. shooting it helps also.

TMJ's are plated fully encapsulated. FMJ are jacketed usually an exposed lead base.

3. Yeah, those new Steyr mags are stiff (IMHO).

Looks good.

Nice shooting, I think you got him. :D

Should ditch the glasses and get LASIK done. My mother just got it done and she said is just amazing how clear everything is now for her.

4. flyandscuba

flyandscuba Guest

For the Speer Lawman 125 gr TMJ ammo -- try http://www.ammoman.com

500 rds - $149
    1000 rds - $249

Free Shipping too!

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Good shootin', Bro :p

Don't forget to tap the piss outta your mags before ya slam 'em. I use the heel of my boots. Never hurts, IMHO. <shrug>

Wulf

6. spokes

spokes New Member

To save your thumb use a 9mm Glock magazine loader.
    Works great.

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Mag loader for Steyr

I picked up an HKS Model 940 mag loader that has saved my thumbs a ton of work. Works great since I figured out it works a lot better the right way rather than backwards. Never used a loader before so didn't have a clue.

$9 at cheaper than dirt and worth that much just to load one magazine.

[​IMG]

http://cheaperthandirt.com/82024-4967-1172.html

Thanks for the info, Mr. A. I don't know what the advantage of fully-plated rounds are, but it's pretty obvious they work great for me, at least the Speer Lawman rounds do. Goodbye Wal-Mart WWBs, hello Ammoman.

Thanx for the ammoman tip, flyandscuba

That's as cheap as WWBs at Wally World and better shooting, too.

As for the LASIK surgery, ministerofdeath, I'll have to save up a long while for that. It still ain't cheap, and I am, cheap that is, part Scottish, all poor.

And Wulf, I'll try the piss-tapping mag trick. Should I pee on them first?

We may not have the marketing genius of Steyr Arms behind us, but there's a lot of brains and good guys on this board and I 'preciate y'all.

(For the northerners, I'll translate. All youse guys are alright in my book.)

8. flyandscuba

flyandscuba Guest

Re: Mag loader for Steyr

The Lawman ammo is good stuff -- and ammoman is good to work with...

(All southern here -- fried mullet and cheese grits on the table tonight!)

9. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Dayam, *scuba 8-O

I really miss mullet cheesy gofer-grits. :roll: But, I still gots mah po' lit'lo 'stash o' peach shine. 8)

Wulf <-- headin' back to bed an' suh mo coughin'

10. hud

hud New Member

All this time I thought mullet was a hair-do. Got one of those too? :lol:

11. tommy

tommy Guest

how do you like your m-a1 357. i want one. i want a high capacity ccw. going from pictures only the m-a1 357 looks thinner and sleeker than the glock 32 and others. any advice.

tommy

12. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

is the 32 the equivalent to the G22?

the slide on the steyr is slightly wider though length is nearly same as a 17/22 model but it has a good portion of the slide to the rear over the web of the thumb. steyr M/MA1 only have 4 inch bbl.

grip on the Steyr is nicer though I do like the G17/22 model it works for my hand. but went with S&W and Steyr for guns.

13. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

tommy
    If I liked her anymore I'd marry her (that is if I didn't already have a wife). I've got about 600+ rounds through her so far so I think I can call her broke in. No bad habits. Hits what you point it at. Goes bang as frequently as you can cycle the "smooth as a baby's behind" trigger.

She's a hand cannon, so as soon as you shoot, there's no sneaking up on nothing, and she's got a bit more recoil than a 9, but she's got a heck of a lot more velocity and I'd sure hate to be on the receiving end of that 357 slug.

And with that quick recycling trigger, as long as you're holding on with both hands she's right back on target and as quick as you can reacquire the target -- which those great trap sights make remarkably easy -- she's ready, willing and able to punch another hole in it. What's not to like, or even love?

I may get a second job selling Steyr pistols. I'm doing it now without pay.

14. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Nice to see she's working well for ya.

15. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

They must be staying local in Rockin'ham, I'm the only one I've ever seen in Raleigh with one Steyr, let alone two... :lol:

16. ronny44

ronny44 Guest

Thunderbear there are a several just north of you in the Oxford, NC area I have a m40 a1 and there are some over around Creedmore, NC. I would think that there will be more coming as we get the word out and let people try them.