Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MrApathy, Mar 10, 2007.

1. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

saw it. lots of violence,nudity and some sex. dont recommend for under 18.

some disgusting stuff towards master race.

think the good stuff on politics,freedom and citizen soldier went through one ear and the other ear of the audience.

more things change the more they stay the same.
    just look at the world today.

not all slaves face a physicall whip but one of idea's on the mind. certainly have fights for peoples minds these days.

the people that would swear to protect us from enemies foreign and domestic occupied with war. but when the war is just or not is definitely troubling.

US certainly has traitors in the midst both sides of the isle that creates a perfect sideshow distraction for other continued crimes. The Federal Government and Bureaucracies certainly are like harvesting a beast to fight a beast or better yet a double edged sword it can do damage away from you but it can come back and do damage on you as well.

troubling complexities never end though should they may be not an ideal outcome.
    the movie had parallels to today though its based on a comic book and some history.
    not for the faint of heart
    movie will probably get alot of awards
    some good historical value not sugar coated. though may not be historicly accurate message is pretty good.
    few can stand against many and accomplish great things.
    you can live in peace but you may have to live in submission.
    freedom is not free. tree of liberty often needs refreshing with the blood of tyrants and patriots.
    the most beautiful and vain women have dark souls

2. WorldPax

WorldPax Guest

Fantastic movie! The fight scenes are incredible, the acting is supurb, the cinematography left me speechless. It's like watching an oil painting come to life. I quit spending money on films years back. This one I would pay full price many times over to see again.

3. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Member

Have either of you read the comic?

(sorry ... Graphic Novel :p )

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

5. Heat

Heat Guest

Yep one of the best movies of this year so far. Great graphics sweet action scenes. THe only thing better would be if Leonidas took out a steyr m40-a1 and shot those persians up instead of his spear :D

6. sewerman

sewerman Premium Member

viewed this flick with a history buddy of mine.

kinda liked the sepia tone scenes, was a nice change.

theater style acting with actors that portray feeling and passion was a refeshing change.

nice special effects though not over done.

great subliminal message, though most won't receive it.

i thought this flick was good.

my other buddy and i saw it but he was not impressed.

go see it , pretty historically correct . :wink:

7. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

300 was the greatest movie ever. OK, maybe the greatest film adaptation of a comic book ever, after V for Vendetta. Don't take the young kids unless you want to explain homosexuality to them earlier than you planned. Later,

8. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Haven't seen it yet, but hopefully this weekend......It's such a good historical story........Have you all heard that Iran is complaining that it is an American conspiracy against them, since the Persians were Iranians back then???????? Someone send them a lit nuke........PLEASE.......... :!:

9. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

I was wondering how the movie was going over in Iran. I can understand that they'd be bummed to see one of their greatest kings portrayed as a 9-foot RuPaul riding a Busby Berkeley staircase. Later,

10. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

LOL.............................now I GOTTA see it.............. :lol:

11. tglahn17

tglahn17 Member

It's a great movie. I thought it was a combination of Gladiator, Lord of the Rings (any one of the three), and Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will. Of course, a great movie like this will certainly get snubbed by the Academy. Later,

12. nc_gunner

nc_gunner Guest

Can't wait, tix for a Saturday matinee. Frank Miller is an amazingly talented man and after Sin City I knew I wanted to see 300 just based on his involvement. After the trailer I was drooling just a little bit. Now with the reviews... stupid Saturday, why can't you arrive?

I'm glad it's fairly accurate historically, that was probably the one thing that would have really bugged me seeing it. I love movies, but I have a hard time with historical stuff that isn't at least fairly close to the accepted stories on what really happened. Like Braveheart anyone? Good movie but man did they take some liberties with "historical fiction"....

13. Heat

Heat Guest

If accuracy of events and characters is what you are looking for......you are looking forward to seeing the wrong movie.

14. AWESOME MOVIE.

Probably the best movie of the Year for guys.

Although my girlfriend enjoyed the movie as well.

Didn't mention the naval battle and the monsters thing was a bit off, but it isn't a documentary.

15. smores

smores Guest

My gf (and everyone else I know, including my brother and my parents) had already seen it, but she went with me last night.

That was a great film. I didn't like Sin City too much, but this one is going in my collection when it comes out on DVD. Tons of brutality, awesome characters and dialog. Did anyone else notice that the guy who lost his eye looked a lot like Solid Snake from the Metal Gear/Solid series :lol:

After I stepped out of the theater into the hallway between all the other ones, there were a bunch of people milling about. I looked at my girlfriend and said, "Man. I REALLY want to stab someone with a spear right now. Like, right in the FACE!" Pretty much everyone in earshot (about 10') just started laughing.

For anyone who hasn't seen this movie, go now. NOW!!!!!!!!!!

16. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Saw it yesterday. The monsters made it a bit much. I liked the slo-motion. Historically was off, but enjoyable......stylilized........a little disappointed. Charatorizing the Athenians as amateurs was way off.......I hope the Discovery channel or history channel does one of its "History or Hollywood" shows soon on the Sparta/Athens history........

17. Heat

Heat Guest

it already has. Infact history channel was playing a 2 hour special for the last two weeks it was titled "last stand of the 300". I am sure you can catch the replay if you watch out for it.

18. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

:roll: .........O Darn..........

19. Sound25

Sound25 Guest

I don't know if the History Channel plays at the same time for all time zones / cable company's, but I did a search and found that it will be showing on Friday morning at 9am... FYI... Saw the movie last Wed. Loved the styling of it. I am taking my date on Thurs to go see it again.

20. The History Channel Special on the "300" I'm pretty sure was done in conjuntion with the folks who brought us the movie "300."

So, they are giving folks the straight-up history.

The bit about the Monsters really made it to me like more of a folk story, which is how the story is told through the narrator who is the guy who lost his eye and was sent back to tell the story. At least the so called "monsters" are believable in that its a Rino and Elephants along with some deformed people and those made to look like Gods, which is what the Persian rulers believed they were.