.22 for a .44

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Netfotoj, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Decided I had one too many .22 pistols last weekend so took my new-to-me Colt Huntsman to a local gun show to see what I could do for sale or trade. Met a Colt lover who paid me $375, which made me quite happy as I only paid $300 for it just two weeks ago.

I had my eye on a pair of .44 Special Smith & Wesson revolvers I'd seen in a gun shop, so today I went to try to decide which one to get. First choice was a S&W 396 Airlite SC Mountain Lite .44 Special: Scandium frame, Titanium cylinder, chrome-lined 2.5" barrel, Hogue Bantam grips, Hi-Viz front sight, adjustable rear sight, 5-shooter, light as a feather. What's not to like?

[​IMG]

Took her out to the gun shop range. Fifteen rounds of 200 gr. Remington and Ultramax full-house .44 Special gave me all the answer I needed. My left hand started to sting about the third round. Good thing I'm ambiguous. Switched over to the right for the second five, then back to the left for the third five. Enuff! Now I know why one gun magazine writer called it the "Mountain Bite!"

Plus the sights were way off. Shooting high and to the right several inches. I guess I know why the previous owner never got it zeroed in. Back to the gun shop and Plan B.

Or maybe it was Plan A all along and I just had to get over my infatuation with ultralite.

S&W Model 21-4, 4" barrel, blue steel with Rosewood grips, six-shooter, brand new in box.

[​IMG]

I had looked at this beast earlier and the price was so low I figured it was used. But when I asked about shooting it today, the shop owner said it was new and unfired and he had picked it up at an estate sale recently. I didn't argue with him. After a very brief haggle, I forked over $425 and walked out of there quick before he could change his mind. Davidson's price? I just checked: $750+!!!

I may get arrested for robbery, but at least for now, she's mine. Range report to come. :mrgreen:

P.S. Just edited the price on the Model 21; CRS disease or bad typing yesterday had it at $325; it's still a great deal at $425, just not as great as $325 woulda been. :oops:

2. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Netfotoj!

So in the long run You upgraded a .22 to a .44 and came out plus $50! :shock:

Whatta deal! :clap: :party: :notworthy:
    _______
    mugdava

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Actually I had to add $50 to the $375 I got for the Colt Huntsman, but it's more than worth it. I edited the sale price above. Can't Remember S*** Disease musta kicked in last night.

FWIW, this is the same pistol that S&W brought back from the dead as part of the special Thunder Ranch Revolver series at the urging of Clint Smith, just without the TRR logo. Those with the logo are more, I'm sure. Other models in the TRR series are identical N-Frames in .45 Colt and .45 ACP. Thanks to Clint Smith, I've got a Model 21 that was last made in 1960 but came back to life in 2004. And for range ammo, I can buy light "Cowboy Loads" if I want. I've got one box of cowboy loads and a couple of boxes of full-house loads I plan to try this weekend if the weather permits. Range report to come. :mrgreen:

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Finally got around to updating my own site with the full story of how I caught the ".44 Special Obsession."

I never mentioned it here, but I started out looking for a .38 snubby. Life's an adventure and sometimes it's best not to end up where you thought you were going. :mrgreen:

Baddest Tactical Pistol (Revolver) No. 3

Happy shooting! :mrgreen: