*** 2012 M40-A1 Functions Perfectly ***

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by tuicatuica, Apr 25, 2013.

1. tuicatuica

tuicatuica New Member

Greetings,

Purchased a M40-A1 last February, and finally made it to the range yesterday. Was a bit hesitant on purchasing this pistol because of problems fully explored on this forum.

Happy, and relieved to report that the pistol functioned perfectly. Only had time to fire about 50 rounds (I had two other pistols to test), in the Steyr, but I shot a good mix of hardball, along with eight different types of SD hollowpoints.

I, and my shooting buddy (who had never even heard of Steyr handguns) really enjoyed the smooth trigger pull, very high bore axis, and trapazoidal sights.

So, if some of you readers were thinking of purchasing this pistol, but were put off by the negative comments, give the model a try. The manufacturing date on my M40 was May, 2012, so it seems that the ejection difficulties had been ironed out by then.

Cheers.

2. Waltherfan01

Waltherfan01 New Member

Greetings!

Glad to hear you had no problems. My S40-A1 also performed quite well out of the box, though the sights gave me some difficulty at first. Keep us posted as you break it in.

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

most the problems are with 9mm
    you dont hear of all the successfully running steyrs which are probably a more out there than trouble makers.
    I had a pair of original M's in 9mm and 40sw they were boring reliable though the 9mm would sometimes eject brass to the face or top of head in short arc.

4. tuicatuica

tuicatuica New Member

I agree. We tend to hear of the "problem children." Cheers.

5. tuicatuica

tuicatuica New Member

And I do consider the Steyr to be adequately broken in to CCW. I will carry any other pistol brand that properly fires fifty rounds. I even trust my new Glocks that fire as few as two magazines. Some may not think that is enough testing - but I am obviously confident that they will function as they should. Especially the Glocks.

Cheers.

6. 73sbVert

73sbVert Member

Glad you're enjoying the new shooter!!

Quick note to point out though, these pistols have a very LOW bore axis, not high. That's what keeps the recoil so tame. If it had a high bore axis, it would be flipping the muzzle up all the time, be much harder to control the recoil!

Cheers,
    Paul

7. CharlieG

CharlieG New Member

I've put just over 500 rounds through mine since I picked it up in November '12. Zero FTE/FTF, though I've shot mostly CCI and Hornady, so
    can't attest to the weapon's appetite for other manufacturers' goods. Same story with my S40-A1 and M9-A1 - all shoot beautifully. The low
    bore axis minimizes muzzle flip and recoil is manageable on all models. I absolutely love my Steyrs and have semi-retired or sold off the
    rest of my pistols since acquiring these beauties.

You will not regret your acquisition.

8. tuicatuica

tuicatuica New Member

Wow...I did mis-state the bore axis height. Thanks Vert!

Thanks Charlie for your input. I tried rounds from Hornady, Federal, Winchester, and Remington through my M40-A1. No problems at all. Cheers.