$200 for a M9A1 Mag!

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Polymer Proselyte, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Polymer Proselyte

Polymer Proselyte New Member

I rang the local gun shop to get a price on extra mags for a M9A1 I have on order.

"Ah that's $200 per mag" $200 NZ Dollars = $152 USD!

I've been looking at a few sites and mags seem to be around the $30 USD right? Even conservatively its a %600 mark up! You can buy a 2nd hand Glock here for 800 NZD, work that one out.

The guy I'm ordering thru has them down to about $75 NZD which is a little better. Hopefully I can import some more reasonable priced accessories in the future.

Cheers PP
    New Zealand

2. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Geez! :shock:

What are the regs? Could an American friend mail you a half dozen mags in the mail or would that be a problem?

Also, are you looking at the regular cap mags or the 10 rd mags?

3. Polymer Proselyte

Standard capacity mags. Na, importing isn't a problem with the right paperwork. Also finding a supplier that ships internationally can be a problem. I've got a few months to work it out.

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

If there would be no (legal) problem with throwing a few mags in a box and mailing them off here from the States, I'm sure your problem is solved. What kind of importation paperwork would be required and what fees are involved?

5. Polymer Proselyte

Nothing from you end that I'm aware of. I think if the value is over $100 USD there might be paperwork involved.

From gunaccessories.com
    I just apply for an import licence here from the police which is free. I would just be mag cost and postage. But I wouldn't ask anybody until I've checked out the legal ramifications at your end. I've brought mags for the Glock with no problems from suppliers in the US.

The guy I'm ordering the pistol from is including 4 mags at around $75 NZD each ( $57 USD) which is about average retail prices.

He placing the order Monday and I'm wondering if I should just get what comes with the pistol and source extras during the 3 month wait. hmmmm.

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Ya - definitely don't pay that. Low caps go for $10 here and I'm sure there are more than a few members who would be willing to help you out. As far as I know, there are no legal rammifications on this end provided all is well on your end (then again, IANAL). I wouldn't expect total value to be over $100 unless you are going to stock up.

7. Polymer Proselyte

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your advice. I will contact the dealer and change my order. As I said, I have a three month wait to get it sorted. In that time I might even be able to find a supplier that ships internationally.

PP

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Should lock up that gun dealer for usurious impersonation of a human being.

9. rhino216

rhino216 Guest

$40 bucks US is the going price her in the US CDNN.com should get what you need.

10. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Poly* :)

What is the law for mag capacity in NZed? Can ya only have 10-rounders or can ya have 15-rounders?...More? :shock: I have it on good authority that the next batch of S9-A1's to hit the American market will come shipped with 17-round hicappers. Let me know and I'll see what I can come up with. :shock:

Kiora, Mate :)

Wulf <-- thinx 19-rounder S9 mags maka lot more sense <shrug>

11. madecov

madecov Active Member

There are restrictions on exporting firearm parts and accessories.
    I looked into it and permits are required through the State Department, not ATF.

ATF handles importation, State handles export. It was a big headache for just a few magazines.

Of course since I have an FFL I wanted to do things on the up and up, YMMV.

12. Polymer Proselyte

Wulf, there is no limit on mag caps in NZ.

A lot of guys shooting IPSC open division are using 28 rounders.

I shoot production so 15 rounds is the way to go.

I'll do some more investigation on the state dept thing. It makes me wonder why gunaccessories.com would have that statement on their website. Heres one I found at Brownells:

Don't want to be seen tempting anyone to break regs!

Cheers PP

13. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

So 2 or 3 15-rounders would be less than $100.

14. Polymer Proselyte

It might pay to hold on till those 17 rounders turn up! Wulf, when do you expect the next shipment to arrive?

A full capacity mag will make these pistols are lot more desirable to practical shooters here!

15. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Poly* :)

I wouldn't hold your breath, Mate. A definitive date has never been discussed, only that in the Steyr Euro-theatre, the 9X19's will "shortly be delivered with 17 round mags....". But, before any of the -A1's are made available to the US, large deliveries are pending elsewhere around the globe to "Armies and Law Enforcement agencies....". I would love to have more info to share with my SC Bros, but, that's all I know right now. <shrug> I'm not nearly as privy to Steyr insider corporate info as some members seem to think. :shock: If I want to know something, I just email or call people, ask 'em what I want to know and thank them for their time. <shrug> Both Steyr-Mannlicher and SAI have been great to me. :) I am hoping that the new mag capacity changes will apply to the M40/357-A1's, as well. The S Series mags are less easily upgradeable, except for the S9's. Its already an easy conversion for the S9 12-round hicappers by simply tweakin' the S40 mag's lips closed a bit to retain the 9X19 cartridge. My best guess for new hicapper M40/357-A1 mags is 15 +1. My line of thinkin' is that Mec-Gar makes the Sigma mags and the Steyr M&S Series mags. All it'd take is a new follower/base plate/mag spring assembly and whal-lah...15-round hicappers! Done deal! :p That'd be great and the sooner the better, IMHO. Personally, I'm more interested inna 13-round S357-A1 mag. :twisted: Whenever I hear anything definite from Steyr, that I think would interest The Club, I'll post it. Promise. 8)

Kiora :)

Wulf

16. Polymer Proselyte

I've asked the dealer who's importing mine from Austria about the 17 rounders. He's going to do some investigating at his end.

I'll post any information he gets back with.

crossed-fingers!

Countdown - 90

17. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

High cap mags

The person I just got my M-A1 from has FULL-CAPACITY for $29.00 each and 10 rounders are $17.50.
    I got my Steyr with its 2 PLUS 2more mags shipped and paid my local FFL $30, total was under $500 and got a free box of 50rds (from my local store)

[email protected]

18. Polymer Proselyte

The countdown to the arrival of my 9mm has just dropped from 90 days to 2 weeks - Wahooooo!

The wife isn't happy budget wise, but she's a shooter too and will be out of the country shooting for NZ when it turns up. I haven't heard what size mags it's shipping with yet.

I gotta start getting my head around a holster for it now....hmmmm

Countdown -14

19. WizzerdOz

WizzerdOz New Member

FYI - Kudos to CDNN. I ordered some M-9 A1 mags from them online and they arrived within 48 hours with normal shipping! Correct mags, brand new, right now.

Just thought the forum ought to know that they treated me right. Customer service still matters!