1st ungraded in Production IPSC

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by Polymer Proselyte, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Polymer Proselyte

Polymer Proselyte New Member

I shot at a regional 2 day match this weekend. I didn't shoot that well. I was expecting 1000 rounds to arrive earlier in the week to give me some practice time but the freight company sent them to the Army by mistake.

Still getting use to the sights but I had some really good hits at longer distances which was great.

The Steyr perfromed well with no malfs at all. I think the mag capacity hurt me a bit, as I was doing a few more mag changes than I would normally. Things I like: grip and feel, pointability, looks cool.
    Things I would change: slightly lighter trigger, 17/16 round mag, drop in conventional (no frills) sights to play with.

Mind you, the primary responsilibility comes back to the guy pulling the trigger.

2. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I shot an IPSc last weekend. I shot fine (good hits, reasonable handling), but had HITA moments on nearly every stage. From memory:

Ran past a steel without shooting it, then ran back to get it instead of taking the Mike. Oops.

I overlubed the rails the night before, and on the 2nd stage I had 4 misfires. Stripped the gun right after and mopped the oil and crap out of the firing pin channel. After that it was flawless. Oops.

Lost the front sight on a speed stage and took too long to find it. Oops.

Cramped up in my lats and triceps when reaching around the Bianchi on a tight, weak hand shot. Oops.

Took my sweet time for 7 seconds worth of perfect hits on a 4-5 second stage. Oops (they were pretty, though. Had 4 doubles!)

Took too long on a Texas star. Oops.

Lot of oops.

The mag cap of the Steyr puts it in L10 or Production, in my mind.

3. Polymer Proselyte

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Production in the US limited to 10 rounds? Here it's whatever the gun ships with. A but handicapped compared to a glock but pretty much the same as a Sig, which are quite popular in production in NZ.

4. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Yep, 10 round mags in Production. Some states have 10 rd limits, so this makes Nat'l comparisons easier. I like having a 10 rd standard, b/c it removes mag capacity as an element in the game.

5. Polymer Proselyte

A local club runs the National Single Stack champs. Its limited to 8 rounds for double stackers, which can compete in a 'cheats' division. I'd be keen on running the Steyr in that as the mag differences are all ironed out.

I think having a 10 round production cap does remove the equipment race. I wonder if the rule will go international. It was a response to govt hi-cap legislation right?

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Correct, and some states retained that. I shoot Single Stack also, with my .45 1911. NO IDPA or IPSC for me this month ....:(