1st IPSC on Sunday...Steyr or 1911

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by ThaiBoxer, Jul 27, 2007.

1. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I'll be doing my first IPSC on Sunday. Having a tough time deciding whetherm to shoot my .45 1911, my M40 (carry) or my M40A1. Any reason to pick a Steyr?

I like shooting them all. The best local shooter uses a 1911, so I have a chance of winning a class if I shoot the Steyr...assuming the IPSC classes split out like IDPA and Steel matches do. Any tips?

Ben

2. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Ben :)

I don't have any tips for ya, just "best wishes for a very successful competition". Hava great weekend. :)

Wulf

3. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Enter twice and shoot both?

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I like RiceCakes idea, but if I had to pick, I'd go with the Steyr. You'll see tons of glocks and 1911s there - dare to be different! :lol:

5. nordic77

nordic77 Premium Member

with the Steyrs, you can shoot Production, Limited or Open. The 1911 would be Limited or Open. So take a Steyr and shoot whatever class the top guy doesn't . :D

6. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

I say go production and beat the piss outta the glock fanboys :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Shoot what you carry, Steyr.

8. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

I'd go with the M40 carry piece.
    That way all your shooting goes towards life saving skills improvement.
    (That and not shooting in the same class as the top dog gives you a chance of winning something :lol: )

9. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Hmm, I'm sensing a pattern from the Steyr Club members. :eek: :eek:

Guess what they told me on the 1911 Forum? :lol:

10. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

UH,...1911 iz da Rulez, everything else iz fo' fools!!!! [​IMG]

11. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i'd say shoot production with the steyr.

i don't know what ipsc is like around you, but around me the top five shooters in the 1911 classes will be within 2 second of each other.

they can peg their times within .2 seconds just looking at a stage and knowing their split times.

usually in production, i notice atleast... a little wider spread in times which equals less consistency between shooters...

which will leave you wide open to waltz right in a take the cake from a glock boy.

12. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Oh, I'll shoot production for sure. Not sure whether to shoot my 1911 or Steyr in production, or even if a 1911 with a magwell, diff't grips, some trigger work and a different barrel bushing will qualify as a "Production" gun.

13. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Re:

I sense a bit of toungue in cheek here, I think.
    Just in case, I broke out my 2008 rule book. :think:

Here goes... :beer: (catch-up time)

According to Appendix D4 Rule 22, you would violate ALL OF THEM !!!!
    For those who want or need to see http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2008HandgunRulesindexed.pdf the .pdf (big file).

I was shooting Limited 10 with my Steyr M40 A-1, but have dropped it down to Production and my Para-Ord. was promoted to Limited.

I say enter them both and see if you want to shoot Production or Limited 10.

Have Fun,
    MTS

14. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Nope, it wasn't tongue in cheek, I didn't know the rules/classes. I shot that match Limited class with my M40A1. I shot a single stack match later. I'll shoot my next IPSC with M40A1, probably as Major in Ltd-10, but maybe Production. I don't fully understand the advantages for either given a production gun in .40. Seems Production should favor a 9mm.

My remfg loads are supposed to be a PF of 166.5, but I've never chrono'd.

Ben

15. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Hey Thai,

I am sorry. I have embarrassed myself :oops: by assuming something when it was tongue in cheek. When in Limited 10, you are allowed some alterations to your pistol that is not allowed in Production. In Limited 10 (I also shot Majors), you are limited to the amount of rounds per mag. Download that file. The best part is at the Appendix, they describe each category in depth. Are you USPSA regestered yet? If you are, you should be getting your updated rule book soon. It's good to carry in your range bag or when your wife or girlfriend shart beachin, you just reach over to the night stand and start reading. They get the hint quickly.

Email me and I will send you some great links.

See ya,
    MTS