1st gun m40

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by zWarlord, Sep 14, 2007.

1. zWarlord

zWarlord Guest

Hey guys, I know you probably ge alot of these posts but here goes anyway. I'm looking at purchasing my 1st firearm and the m40 is realy standing out to me. I love the 111* grip and the way it lines up when i lift it.
    I have been renting an XD40 from the local gun range and have put about 200 rounds through it, allong with some 9mm and .380 on other pistols. I decided that the .40 was what i prefered the feel of. I was going to get an XD40 as it was what i was used to and knew it was relable (they never clean the rentals,) and then i held the M40....wow, comfortable. My only concern is that I cant fire it to see if its any good. From what i see on here its a cofortable pistol to shoot. I was wondering if you guys could send some bits of info my way about what i can expect.
    From what i have seen i need about 500ish rounds through it before its broken in and should expect some feed problems. Sound like i have the right idea?
    Thanks for you time guys.

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I wouldn't expect feed problems - folks occasionally have issues during break in, but it's not necessarily a rule. Ask babj - that guy has at least 8 different Steyrs and I can't recall hearing him complain once... I'm not sure about the .40's, but I know the 4" XD9 has more perceived recoil than the Steyr (YMMV, of course). I would expect the Steyr to be roughly equal, with slightly less recoil.

3. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Holy Bat Droppings, Commissioner SYNTAX360!!!!!!
    Was that the Bat Signal?????

[Na Na Nuh Nuh Naah.....]

IMO, and YMMV, I cannot feel any noticeable difference between my Steyr M9-A1 and M40-A1.....

...perhaps because of my stance, grip, or just being a monkey...... [oooh oooh oooh ahhh ahhh].....

If you like the 40 S&W, get the M40-A1.....

BUT, the M9-A1 holds three more rounds, and far as I can tell [open up that can-o-worms boys!!!!], the ballistic stopping power of either round is nearly identical as well...

If someone had a pistol pointed at me, I'm not gonna say "What? Thats only a 9mm dude... Shoulda' brought a 40 dumb @$$!!!!"

my 2 cents....

:roll: :roll: :roll:

BTW - You will never have another opportunity to get a Steyr as cheap as you can right now... You can always get an XD at a later date if you must..... and I think you will not need to....

:wink: :wink:

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

(just for the record - I agree 100% with babj's point about 9 vs. .40 - M9A1 ftw :wink:)

EDIT: FYI, most of the major manufacturer's 9mm offerings expand larger and penetrate deeper than their .40 stuff (though only slightly). The .40 is, of course, throwing out more energy, but the benefits of more energy is highly questionable with regard to handguns.

5. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

What are you kidding????? Is that 2 147gr slugs you put into my chest....look through the hole...my heart is still beating....first of all you should have been using a .40....but then when you did use a 9mm why did you use those slow ass 147gr bullets, then to top it off no JHP...dude your a loser..... :twisted:

On a serious note though, a nine is good idea...at this point in time and with lead prices on the increase a 9mm is a great choice simply because ammo is cheaper...alot cheaper....and everyone knows a gun can't do shit for you if you can't hit anything...and if you don't practice your chances of hitting the "INTENDED" target greatly dimminish...

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya *Warlord :)

Get the M40-A1 at CDNN, Dude. Talk to Jerry and tell 'im you're a Steyrclub member an' Wulf sent ya. Sooner the better. They won't ever get any cheaper than they are at present and if ya wanna, sometime down the road, get the 357 SIG Conversion barrel for it. Can you say, 9MM Mag? :shock: Less recoil than the 40 SW and better performance than either the 9MM or the 40 SW and better feedin', too. IMHO, ya can't go wrong with any of the M or S Series Steyrs. If ya reload your own ammo, reloadin' for the 357 SIG is only minutely more expensive to reload than the 9MM cause ya can use the 9MM component bullets, if ya wanna and ya only need to use a little more powder. <shrug> Of the bullet makin' components, only the 357 SIG brass costs more right now, but its comin' down quickly as this cartridge gains popularity in military and LEO circles. Just my $.02 worth. <shrug> But, if cost of ammo is the key issue to you, the 9MM has it hands down. Have fun and be safe. :)

Wulf

7. zWarlord

zWarlord Guest

Thanks for the advice guys. I am planning on buying it from a local shop as they have been real good to me, and the prices are barely diffrent than internet prices. I will look into a 9mm though, only reason i wasnt thinking of going that way is i've fired several 9mm's and never liked the feen of em. (Glock, Bersa, Baretta, Kahr.) who knows, maybe i'll go with the .40 and later go with a 9mm for a carry.

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I'm a 9mm fan, but the .40 is fine. Seems like you need to do a thorough cleaning before shooting (not that I did that with my M9). After that what I would expect is to enjoy a well-fitting gun with advanced engineering a quality.

9. TheGuyver

TheGuyver New Member

Get the M40-A1, if you want more punch, all you have to do is drop in a 357 Sig barrel.... Now you have an M357-A1. That's it, it's converted, even the Mags are the same. Or so I've been told... Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

10. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Thats one of the reason I like the 9mm. I can load a hot +P/+P+ 9mm and flirt with .357 SIG ballistics.

11. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya SD :)

Been there w/ the +P+ 9MM reloads. Closest ya can get to closin' the gap is w/ 100 - 115 gr reloads, then the heavier component bullets tend to swing away from the 357 SIG standard performance envelope. Another alternative for the 357 SIG-like performance in a 9MM reloads are the 110 gr 357 Rem Mag JHP's resized to 0.356". That's my fav. <shrug> Only prob is the excessive wear on the 9MM pistols from supin' up their performance to those extremes. I definitely don't recommend 'em for a steady diet. :shock: BTW, the recoil becomes 357 SIG-like, as well. <shrug> Fun tho! :twisted: Be safe and have fun! :p

Wulf

[​IMG]