1911s

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by bigbob68, Feb 15, 2008.

1. bigbob68

bigbob68 Guest

Everyone should have at least 1 good 1911.

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Re: M9 or M9-A1...that is the question.

:hand: :naughty: :sick: :snooty: :silenced: :wall: :?

:whistle: :whistle:

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Babs! I'm shocked, shocked I tell you! :shock:

Do you mean to say that there's a pistol you don't like? And 1911s at that?

Why that's ... unAmerican or something ... words fail me. :silenced:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I'm with you Net........... :shock: obviously a commie plot........Good thing he didn't mention M1 Garand and Browning Hi Power....... :sick:

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Sorry babj - I'm with the "other team" on this one :lol: Here's my man-card:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:mrgreen:

6. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Ahh yes SYN.....

But, which do you carry?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

7. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...maybe I could get a 1911 if they came in multiple flavors....

...like 9mm or 357SIG or something.....

...maybe....

:stupid:

8. bigbob68

bigbob68 Guest

Lets see, hmmm a 1911 in 38 super, 10mm, 9mm or how bout a .50 and maybe a 40 S&W, THATS RIGHT, they come in all those calibers.

BTW, Syntax, that is a sweet sig 1911. And I agree, good thing the Hi power or the Garand was not mentioned. :party:

9. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Yep, I agree! Something about the shape of the slide on the GSR really appeals to me. 8) Here's a pic of my two 1911's:
    [​IMG]
    _______
    mugdava

10. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

How about a Para Ord Hi-Cap in 9mm, only 18 rds. in the mag and a mere $814? I would surely like to try that LDA trigger that Para Ord has. Everything I've read says it is suuhhhhweeeeet!

[​IMG]

Now if you find a 1911 wide-frame in 357 Sig, sign me up. I could definitely go for one of 'em. :mrgreen:

Lordy, have we ever hijacked this M9/M9-A1 thread! :twisted:

11. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Right you are - this one has been split in the interest of keeping things organized. :beer:

12. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

I just had to post a pick of mine....

[​IMG]

I carried the CS all day today :mrgreen:

13. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

14. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

15. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Which Bobtail, .45 or 10mm? Dan Wesson is the only maker of 1911s in 10mm, to my knowledge. Only other choices in 10mm are G20/29 and EAA's Witness line, which are CZ75 clones. I like .45 ACP just fine, but I love 10mm, the ballistically superior autopistol round, IMHO. Jeff Cooper wrote that .45 ACP had "almost enough power" and helped develop the 10mm round to provide the autopistol round that had "enough power." :mrgreen:

Only other 1911 10mm pistols are out-of-production Colt Delta Elites, expensive if you can find one. There are also a few hard-to-find S&W 1066/1076 series pistols, not 1911-design. And S&W has in production a Model 610 revolver which shoots 10mm or .40 S&W with moon clips. So far as I know that covers the spectrum of available 10mms.

Pardon the digression, 10mm is one of my favorite topics and I couldn't resist the topic.

16. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

RFB :party: ...Commifornia legal? :doh: ....yeah? :think: ....for like a month when the supreme court rules on the 2nd and someone in Cali sues and gets the laws repealed here and just before the Commies re-occupy :pray: .... :roll:

And the DW bobtail....I really don't know....I really like .45 but I would not be opposed to 10mm....but I am undecided on the which is better propaganda fight, I personally don't know enough about ballistics to make a decision for myself....I think for me the deciding factor will be availability....which 45 is way more widely available...I wonder if a barrel/mag swap is possible???? Time to email.....

17. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Can't speak to barrel swapping between 10mm and 45 ACP for Dan Wesson, surely they can. But I can't pass up a chance to compare ballistics between the two. Difference in grain weight are the two most popular loads for each, 230 for 45, 180 for 10mm. These two are the hottest loads I could find for each from DoubleTap ammo.

Caliber / Grains / Type / Mfg. / FPS Muzzle / Ft.Lbs. Muzzle
    10mm / 180 / JHP / Gold Dot DoubleTap / 1300 / 676
    .45 ACP / 230 / JHP / Gold Dot DoubleTap / 1010 / 521

On ballistics, 10mm clearly wins hands down. However, ammo is more expensive than .45 ACP, I've paid up to $2 per round for HPs (ouch!) and range ammo is also pricey. But Georgia Arms brings 10mm range ammo and HPs down far enough for this poor boy to be able to stock up. :mrgreen:

18. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

What kind of expansion are they showing with the 10mm? How about overpenitration, is this an issue, as it is a .40 on steroids is it not? Not disputing you, although the sanity of anyone who does not like .40 should be questioned! :lol: :party: :clap: , just curious....

19. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Don't have any penetration stats I can lay my hands on, but the FBI used 10mm for their duty weapons for five years from 1990-95, S&W 1076 pistols and H&K submachine guns. If overpenetration was an issue, I'm sure they thoroughly researched it and settled that objection before they adopted the round. It took them years to make that decision.

However, after they adopted the new round, they found that some of their pencil pushers and agents of the fairer sex found full-house 10mm loads a bit intimidating. So they downloaded the FBI loads to the ballistics that later were used for .40 S&W, which is essentially a shortened case with the same projectile, less powder than the longer case of 10mm can hold. The "FBI Lite" 10mm had identical ballistics to what became .40 S&W.

As for my dislike of .40, I found the recoil just a bit weird, more torque or something than 10mm or .45 ACP or 357 Sig. Why shoot a pistol I didn't enjoy? So I didn't. Plenty of calibers I like to put up with one I don't like. At least as far as I'm concerned, millions of cops are wrong, but then it's not the cops that pick their pistols, but their bosses, the pencil pushers. :mrgreen:

BTW, here's a penetration chart that does not include 10mm (to my great chagrin).
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, there's not a lot of difference in penetration, even with 357 Sig.

20. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member