1911 Government Model

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by samue23, Feb 10, 2013.

1. samue23

samue23 Member

Hey Guys,

Considering the purchase of a 1911 Government model, wanted to know if anyone here also has one or could make some experienced recommendations. I have always wanted one...I like the way they look. I think I want a 45 single stack, match barrel and bushing, ambi-safety, trigicon sights and black. Looking to spend around 1250 to 1350 can not afford the custom guns.

I Like the following:

Remington R1 Carry, Para Ordnance Black OPS Recon, Colt Rail Gun and the Sig Sauer Fastback Nightmare...

thanks in advance for your help

2. Metal Bird

Metal Bird Member

Don't count out the Armscor / Rock Island Armory 1911s ... not as pretty out of the box as say a Kimber, but you can get two of them for the price of one Kimber and they both will out shoot it. Tho I do not think that any RIA out of the box will meet all your criteria, but may give you a good base to add on to and self-customize. I like these pistols of theirs anyway.

At that price range you are in have you looked at the STI International guns? They are Custom/Semi-Custom 1911s with a bunch of their line of guns in that mid price range. I actually have my first one of theirs currently on order and am really looking forward to receiving it! Order them thru Dawson Precision or The Shooters Connection Store.

That is my input, otherwise I can not comment on the ones you mentioned you like.

3. samue23

samue23 Member

@Metal Bird, thanks for the response.

4. jhb

jhb Member

Seriously consider bypassing the ambi safety. Gun wasn't designed for it, and they fail often enough I refuse to buy another 1911 with one...and I'm a lefty shooter.

I'm a colt man myself, and if you can tolerate the 80 series and the lack of "improvments" the 1991 is my personal favorite. That me though. One thing to make note of on the rock island armscor is the heat treats can be spotty....won't affect gods caliber (.45acp), but if you wanted to move up to .45 super or .460 rowland......it could be a problem, or so I've read.

Of your choices the colt. or one of the sti's. Don't write off the springfield 1911s.

5. Talyn

Talyn New Member

From my knowledge base, not experience.

The purchase of a decent 1911 will net you a "decent" 1911.

If you want a good 1911, you have to have it smithed, or buy a pro-shop one and spend some money.

Some of the cheaper 1911's will net you a frame and a slide, and you can simply just upgrade from there until you get what you want.

This is my concept on 1911's.

I'd personally just buy a high grade one to start with that isn't hype.
    (I'm specifically talking about ed-brown's)

S&W pro shop, I think is what they are called, is what I would personally buy. They are around 1300 though.
    But its all hand fitted and hand finished. Not slapped together.

I'd buy a colt if I could get my hands on it as well.

I'm not a big Kimber fan, but you can make almost any 1911 nice with a few bucks and a good smith.
    But that is my Knowledge Base from research, not from experience.

Smith's should be reliable as well, not your neighbor. (unless he really is a gun smith for a living)

6. Metal Bird

Metal Bird Member

Good points. I totally agree with Talyn on everything there. If you want a good 1911 you need to start with a custom or plan to make it a custom.
    As I said earlier, I like the RIA platforms, even tho they are great from the factory, if you are serious about it being more than a casual range gun, you do need to refine and smith just because it is the nature of the 1911. RIA has great support and even works with you on covering a modified gun of theirs should it need factory work of some sort.
    Kimber on the other hand is way overpriced garbage. Sorry to any Kimber fans, I know there are some out there. I have never owned one but know people who have and have regretted it. Look at their essentially non-existent warranty, ONE YEAR, that alone tells you that they know their gun is junk and that they will not stand behind their product!

7. samue23

samue23 Member

Thanks guys for all the responses thus far...I will take into account the comment about the ambi-safety, that was good info.

I didn't think that most smith's worked on guns produced in the phillipines...which is why I was staying away from them...in my reseach most smiths require a colt, kimber, or springfield gun but there are smiths that specialize in customizing certain brands as in Para, Remington and Sig...

8. dash

dash Member

If you can find a Norinco, grab it! I've have one for a long time and was my regular shooter until I got used Series 1 Kimber Target. No issues with either, but with the round count on both, I should replace the recoil springs.