Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. My first Steyr finally arrived today after months of deliberation and sourcing. Anyway. After compiling the good/bad/ugly ammo chart, blazer brass FMJ seems like a pretty reliable choice. Where I'm stuck is on which grain would run most reliably. I can get a box of 1000 124g for $240 (24 cents/round) from one place or a box of 350 115g for $110 (31 cents/round) from a different place. Either way it's a big investment. They don't sell standard boxes so I can't try both.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
166 Posts
124 generally shoots to the point of aim for me in my 9mm pistols and I prefer it to 115 grain because I also carry 124 grain.

·
Registered
632 Posts
if you can pick up 25 cents a round, thats not a bad deal.

The stuff that is cheaper than that is like Tula, or brown bear. Cheepie bulk ammo is cheap too.

non brass case blazer is cheap too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If I have to choose between the 115 or 124, I would personally go with the 124gr.

·
Registered
15 Posts
124/125gr shot better for me though also had great accuracy with 115gr hollow base which was as long as 124/125gr bullets.
M9 was tack driver with them all. 147gr shot nicely though would tumble and keyhole into targets occasionally.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use 124gr almost exclusively, as my SD/HD ammo of choice is Fiocchi XTP 124gr JHP. I haven't been impressed with most of the 115gr FMJs I've tried, although to be fair most of it was S&B (or Herter's, which is made by S&B) which elsewhere on this forum is stated to not "play nice" due to hard primer. Lately, I've been able to get Aguila 124gr for quite cheap, and it shoots as well as anything I've tried.

I'm going to try out some PMC and Magtech 124gr this weekend if time allows, as those are the only readily-available brands that I have yet to try in my M9.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hard primers used to be nothing for steyr's they could set off small rifle primers not sure about all the MA1's and variations that have since followed.
I tested what I could years ago with M9 and M40

only issue with S&B ammo was the primer sealant which could clog the striker channel if enough of it was shot but would have to be alot of it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
124/125gr shot better for me though also had great accuracy with 115gr hollow base which was as long as 124/125gr bullets.
M9 was tack driver with them all. 147gr shot nicely though would tumble and keyhole into targets occasionally.
That's interesting. I shoot 147/124 mostly, and I have not had that issue with the 147gr. They shoot softer for me and allow for more accurate follow up shots (and they're subsonic, but that's neither here nor there...).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts