10mm.

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by breechplug, Feb 11, 2006.

1. breechplug

breechplug Guest

I've been looking into getting into a 10mm, anyone have any ideas?
    The only one I have found is a Glock.

2. soapyballs

soapyballs Member

3. WorldPax

WorldPax Guest

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Funny.......that would about do it...... :lol:
    If I did some hunting, or hiking a 10mm sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure I'd do a 10 otherwise.....recoil, ballistics, is it worth it??
    My first choice would be Glock 29.....small, concealable, good recoil system.....other then my Steyr's I love the G30....I'd carry that anywhere.........but full load 10mm silver tips would be a bear to shoot in anything I would think........by the way, the G29 is on my short list too..............

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Dan Wesson also makes some very nice 10mms.

ranburr

6. srfl

srfl Guest

The 10mm has made sort of a comeback (compared to when every ammo maker was dropping the caliber thanks to the .40S&W) thanks to innovative ammo manufacturers like Doubletap Ammo, Georgia Arms and Buffalo Bore.

With those companies, and several others, they bring the 10mm up to full-power glory. The big boys, read: Federal, Winchester, etc., insist on wimping out their 10mm loads to .40S&W specs. Not that the latter caliber is wimpy, but for those ballistics, give me, well, a .40 S&W. If I get a 10mm (of which I own three), give me the proper full-power ballistics.

Dan Wesson (oops, I mean CZ) still has several 10mm's in production, such as the 1911 Razorback and PM7, to be complemented with their new 6" Global Hunter.

The phenomenal S&W 10XX series is no more (for a bunch of years), but you can still find mint samples of those great guns on Gunbroker, Auction Arms and Gunsamerica. I have a S&W 1066 which is built like a proverbial tank.

All of that said, will the marketshare of this fine caliber even come a hair's diameter close to the .45 ACP, .40S&W and other guns....nope and it'll probably never will...but the 10mm is still alive and near and dear to the hearts of us 10mm fans.

7. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Are 10mm loaded hotter? I thought 10mm and 40sw would be the same. Whats the difference?

8. srfl

srfl Guest

The difference between a 10mm and .40S&W is akin to the difference between a .357 Magnum and .38 Special.

9. FlaChef

FlaChef Guest

which is akin to 9x23 and 9x19

10. radius

radius New Member

i got a ss para-ord P16-40 limited and rechambered it for 10mm. hi-cap, mild recoil, higher-power round. i use the 45 recoil spring, replacement parts aren't a problem and the slide mass is enough to keep the slide velocity down. use the regular 40cal mags.

11. mikey

mikey Guest

Just for the record, I’ve shot lots of 10mm in my Wyoming Arms piece, and never thought much about the recoil or report . . . until I got hold of some full-house Norma 10mm ammunition a while back.

KA-BOOM!!!! Let me tell you, when you’re shooting real-deal 10mm, you’ll know it!

Really, it’s almost too violent for personal defense use. Reminded me of shooting .357 magnums through my 3” barreled Ruger GP-100. Likely great for hunting, though.

12. srfl

srfl Guest

Nah...I'd say they were akin to the 9x23 and 357 SIG (the 9x23 and 357 SIG roughly being 10mm and .40 S&W necked down to accept 9mm diameter bullets).

13. srfl

srfl Guest

Too violent in recoil? If so, I don't think that's the case; I can fire controlled pairs and weakhand-only out of my three 10mm's (Dan Wesson 1911, S&W 1066 and EAA Witness) all day with Doubletap Ammo in 180, 165, 155 and 135 grain loads....I've never tried it with full-power 200 grain loads though.

14. mikey

mikey Guest

Actually, I have to agree that the recoil wasn't all that terrible; probably only a bit more than a .45ACP+P. It was the muzzle blast and flash that shocked the bejabbers out of me.

Of course, that could have just been the Norma ammo. Handloads (or better-sorted factory loads) might not have put on as much of a show.

15. srfl

srfl Guest

I've never shot the original Norma ammo from the 80's; I've heard that was a sight to see!

Try shooting Corbon .45 ACP 165 grain +P JHP out of Star PD.....in a word: OUCH! Never again!!!