10mm, 9mm shooting for accuracy

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by Netfotoj, May 26, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Finally got my bench rest out and did a little shooting for accuracy with two of my new-to-me pistols.

First, five rounds of 10mm Federal Hydra-Shok 180-gr. in my Glock 29. (At $30 for 20 rounds, five ought to be enough for a test. Besides, I'm cheap!) Shooting at 11x17" Redman target from 25 feet.

Four in a group slightly high and to the right, one I'd call a "flyer" except it's the one that hit the "X". Close enough.

[​IMG]

Hate to waste a perfectly good Redman, so let's put 10 rounds of 10mm 180 gr. FMJs on top of the Federals.

[​IMG]

Finally, 15 rounds of 9mm WWB FMJs in my S&W 669 subcompact at a full-size man target, 25 ft. sitting without a rest, slow fire.

[​IMG]

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Did the G29 seem the most accurate?

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

The G29 is the most accurate handgun I've ever shot, bar none.

I did a little more testing with the 669 from my bench rest and determined it's shooting about 1.5 inches to the right, so another range session with sight adjustment is in order.

But as for the G29, its three-dot sights are quite precise and it is the most accurate handgun I own. Perhaps it's shooting a half-inch high and to the right, but I'm not about to try to make that small an adjustment.

I still like my M357-A1 for quick target acquisition, but the G29 sights are definitely more precise.

5. West01

West01 New Member

Great shooting NetFotoJ!

For me, these bench tests are always embarrassing. It always reminds me that the gun is far more accurate than the shooter. :wink: :wink:

When I test one of my pistol on the bench, it always takes away my lame excuses of poor shooting... :lol:

Cheers!

West01

:D

6. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

9mm HPs

You know it's going to be a great day when the phone rings and it's your 10-year-old grandson wanting to know when you're going to come over and bring your pistols for an afternoon of shoot 'em up! Just when you think the whole world's going to hell in a handcart, there's a hopeful sign for you -- a card-carrying 10-year-old NRA member who loves to shoot a Glock 10mm! :mrgreen:

My grandson Logan is the one who's not afraid of the Big Bad Glock G29 10mm, if you recall.
    https://steyrclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3701&highlight=

Anyway, we did a bit more shooting. I started with my godawful-heavy-trigger-pull Kel Tec P-11 (which still has an 85-lb. pull. Maybe Kel Tec will send me my missing decimal point sooner or later). I knew if I didn't shoot it first, I probably wouldn't shoot it at all. Best I could do with my bench rest was about a 3" group, so that'll have to do.

It fills its role as a backup, but I can't imagine why anyone would make it a daily carry weapon. Too hard to shoot. I'm already thinking about one of those nasty little Taurus 2" ultra-light, hammerless snubbies in 17HMR. Gotta research the round and see if it's really capable of sufficient penetration of bad guy mass to be a serious carry weapon, even as a backup? Any 17HMR experts in the house? Wish somebody made a .22 magnum snubbie, but all I've ever seen is little 2-shot derringers. Gotta have at least 6 rounds to qualify as my backup.

Then I did a bit of hollow-point load testing with my S&W 669 9mm subcompact. Top left is Cor-Bon +P 90 grain, bottom left is Cor-Bon +P 125 grain, both groups at right are UMC 115 grain HPs.

[​IMG]

I hate to say it, but groupwise, I have to give it to the UMC HPs. Cheap, but dirty rounds. I bought a 100 box at Wally World just to test my two 9mms to make sure they would cycle HPs cleanly. From what I've read here and elsewhere, I don't think UMCs really qualify as a serious carry round. So that makes Cor-Bon 125 grain winner, even though both groups are pretty much the same. I'll usually choose a heavier grain over a lighter one, just because.

We also had a lot of fun with me, my son and grandson all shooting each other's pistols. My son got his Ruger P345 out plus a .22 rifle and I brought all five of my pistols, in addition to the two 9s, my M357-A1, G29 and Walther P22. A good time was had by all. :mrgreen:

7. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I am pretty certain that S&W makes a .22 mag snubbie. I was at a local gun shop and one employee was holding a little black revolver and telling the other that a guy had bought it for his wife who is a real estate agent. The other employee questioned the value of a .22 mag for self defense but the first employee said it was a great round because it tumbles. I think this particular gun held 10 rounds in the cylinder.

...I just looked it up and the gun is the S&W 351 and I was wrong, it holds 7 rds, rather then 10.

Here is the link

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

"...the phone rings and it's your 10-year-old grandson wanting to know when you're going to come over and bring your pistols for an afternoon of shoot 'em up!"
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Awesome :D