Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was a gorgeous day and I had a little time to shoot so I put 100nds through my new S9A1. I had some WWB ammo from Wal-Mart to try. I had alot of FTE and alot of spent cases bouncing off my head.:willynilly: I pretty much was expecting it from the posts here. My plan is to keep it clean and lightly oiled on the rails and run at least another 400 rounds through it alternating between WWB and Federal and go from there. The weather is supposed to turn rainy for the next few days so it'll be toward the end of next week before I run the other 400 in it. I sure hope I can get it running slick because I love the way it handles and carries. We shall see.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Well, it was a gorgeous day and I had a little time to shoot so I put 100nds through my new S9A1. I had some WWB ammo from Wal-Mart to try. I had alot of FTE and alot of spent cases bouncing off my head.:willynilly: I pretty much was expecting it from the posts here. My plan is to keep it clean and lightly oiled on the rails and run at least another 400 rounds through it alternating between WWB and Federal and go from there. The weather is supposed to turn rainy for the next few days so it'll be toward the end of next week before I run the other 400 in it. I sure hope I can get it running slick because I love the way it handles and carries. We shall see.
lots of FTE's?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it will not EXTRACT the spent case & slide goes back then comes forward and tries to chamber another round. The ones that are ejecting are not going in any paticular pattern with about %35 of them bouncing off the top of my head. I do not know if that is just something I am not accustomed to. My usual carry guns sling the spent shells a country mile and usually most are in the same direction.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yes, it will not EXTRACT the spent case & slide goes back then comes forward and tries to chamber another round. The ones that are ejecting are not going in any paticular pattern with about %35 of them bouncing off the top of my head. I do not know if that is just something I am not accustomed to. My usual carry guns sling the spent shells a country mile and usually most are in the same direction.
I meant how many.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes in 10 rounds two or three will not extract. Then it will go a magazine without a problem. Looking back, I cannot remember if it does it with just one or both mags.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hiya Wayne* :)

Mark your mags so ya can tell 'em apart.

What is the manufacturing date for your S9-A1?

Does it or does it not have the LCI?

Oh, an' ya can go 12-RD mags by gettin' some S40-A1 mags an' swappin' the followers, FYI. <shrug>

Keep us in the loop, Bro. :thumbsup:

Wulf <-- :popcorn:

·
Registered
632 Posts
The magazines are a bit agressive with the feed lips and how they feed rounds.

I can see it causing FTE's if you have to viscous of lubricant on the rails. That sucker has to fly free.

I've seen it not eject on mine where the round nosed up too soon and it stopped the ejection.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Mark your mags so ya can tell 'em apart.

What is the manufacturing date for your S9-A1?

Does it or does it not have the LCI?

Oh, an' ya can go 12-RD mags by gettin' some S40-A1 mags an' swappin' the followers, FYI. <shrug>

Keep us in the loop, Bro. :thumbsup:

Wulf <-- :popcorn:
Can you order the followers from Steyr USA ? I am going to clean all of the lube off and just run it "dry" for a while. As a total newb to Steyr I will ask if there is a date code on the gun to determine manufactering date?

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts

Just order the S40 mags from Jeff and ask 'im ta throw in a couple M9 followers with 'em. <shrug>

Oh, an' tell Jeff you're a Steyrclub Member an' Wulf sent ya. :thumbsup:

Far as the Mfg date code, look just in front of your ejection port for a couple proof marks followed by a 3-letter-all-upper-case stamp, i.e. "BOF", that's my M357-A1.

Here's the code:

That tells me my M357-A1 has a manufacturing date of "April '04".

Take care, Bro.

Wulf <-- gettin' ready ta gather more firewood

·
Registered
21 Posts
Could the FTE (I assume failure to extract, not eject... too many "e" words) be related to the earlier extractors?

Wulf, on the S40 mags, where would that leave you on feed lips? We discussed that a while back, and I could never talk myself into trying to reshape the .40 lips. Do you think that is still necessary if 9mm followers were used? A 12 rd S9A1 still sounds like a great idea.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Hiya *Gunner :)

The last couple o' S40 mags, I didn't even hafta close up the mag lips, the follower made all the difference. :thumbsup:

That doesn't mean that all the S40 mags are that cooperative, tho. <shrug>

Give it a go an' post your results!

Oh, and "yeah" on Wayne*'s FTE and brass throw issue, that's how come I'm interested in his S9-A1 date code. <shrug>

Take care, Bro an' hava great Holiday Season.

Wulf <-- thinkin', "one more cuppa an' its off ta the big timber for more firewood" *sigh*

Could the FTE (I assume failure to extract, not eject... too many "e" words) be related to the earlier extractors?

Wulf, on the S40 mags, where would that leave you on feed lips? We discussed that a while back, and I could never talk myself into trying to reshape the .40 lips. Do you think that is still necessary if 9mm followers were used? A 12 rd S9A1 still sounds like a great idea.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The FTE's could be an extractor issue, dirty or just the older style extractor.

Usually its tolerance issues.
I agree with everyone I'd rather not have to deal with that though.

When I got mine, i reamed out the barrel really good to make sure it was clean.
Not everyone does this.
Any residue in there will cause a hang up. with cheap ammo, i got too much powder in mine and it caused an issue with ejecting. There was un-burnt powder everywhere. in teh trigger group, the dust cover. it was crazy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
According to the date code it was made November 2010. I'll mark the mags to sliminate that. I'm pretty anal about keeping my guns clean. I guess I'll shoot at least 400 more rounds through it to make sure it's broken in.

·
Registered
632 Posts
According to the date code it was made November 2010. I'll mark the mags to sliminate that. I'm pretty anal about keeping my guns clean. I guess I'll shoot at least 400 more rounds through it to make sure it's broken in.
Mine was good for them first rounds, then it went crappy and got good again.
I had to attribute it to the ammo being poorly made and dirty.

I don't think you'd ever have an issue with these and quality ammo that has good powder burn. Especially if you buy something heavier than 115gr.

If you got a chance, pull the extractor out and clean the channel for it and check it for burs.
Just a thought. If you still have some issues after that, call up Jeff and have him send you the new extractor and that should fix the issues.
It seems to be for others.

Seems like he's shipping it out free too, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My S9A1 is also Nov 10 (VWO). Brand new. First trip to the range ran 100 Brown Bear steel (yeah, I'm a little embarrassed, but I had to get rid of it), 60 Winchester White Box, and 11 Speer +P 124 Gold Dot. Of the 171 rounds, the only bobble was 2 rounds of Brown Bear, near the beginning of the run, needed a bump on the slide to completely close and lock up. After that, smooth sailing... these are good pistols. Something more than just more "break-in" shooting needs to be done on yours. I don't see how a bad mag would prevent extraction... and Nov 10 should have the new extractor.... ? Dunno what's wrong.

·
Registered
632 Posts
My S9A1 is also Nov 10 (VWO). Brand new. First trip to the range ran 100 Brown Bear steel (yeah, I'm a little embarrassed, but I had to get rid of it), 60 Winchester White Box, and 11 Speer +P 124 Gold Dot. Of the 171 rounds, the only bobble was 2 rounds of Brown Bear, near the beginning of the run, needed a bump on the slide to completely close and lock up. After that, smooth sailing... these are good pistols. Something more than just more "break-in" shooting needs to be done on yours. I don't see how a bad mag would prevent extraction... and Nov 10 should have the new extractor.... ? Dunno what's wrong.
Load up a mag and hold the slide mostly open and slide the mag in.

Watch how much the tip of the bullet drops.

Now he's got a 40, so I dont know if they have more.

I'm not the biggest 40 fan, so its harder for me to relate, but it's very possible that the timing is off and the round is stopping the extraction because its nosing up too soon.

The magazines on the steyr's are very aggressive on how they release the rounds.

If you ride the slide you'll get issues like you had where the extractor didn't go around the casing because the magazine will launch the bullet out violently and it throws the timing off cause it doesn't pop up behind the extractor like its supposed to.

His issue could be a piece of dirt behind the extractor keeping it from biting all the way for all we know.

I try and go with the keep it simple idea's first when trying to figure stuff out. So many projects have I thought it was something complicated and it was the most stupid simple thing.

Hence I always push the KISS method.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Well, I'll get at shooting it asap. I really hope it wil either correct itself of can be corrected by Steyr.
One way or another that sucker is gonna be shooting awesome.

Where are you located? if you dont mind me asking.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
One way or another that sucker is gonna be shooting awesome.

Where are you located? if you dont mind me asking.
Asheboro,NC. If it was only an issue with one or two spent shells not being extracted it would not concern me as much but the ones that are extracted and then ejected are really weak. Some literally falling on my feet or bouncing off my noggin. I have high hopes for this gun. Hopefully, I can eliminate a bad mag first then go from there.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Asheboro,NC. If it was only an issue with one or two spent shells not being extracted it would not concern me as much but the ones that are extracted and then ejected are really weak. Some literally falling on my feet or bouncing off my noggin. I have high hopes for this gun. Hopefully, I can eliminate a bad mag first then go from there.
Well your not near me, but if another member with experience is near by, you can always get together and compare.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts