Quantcast
Range Review of New Steyr M9-A1 w/ New trigger
Steyr Club - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Range Review of New Steyr M9-A1 w/ New trigger

We shot this review the other day and had some issues. We just kept rolling and worked through the issues to figure out what the actual problem was, at least in this case. Interesting results, post your opinions.

Default Re: Range Review of New Steyr M9-A1 w/ New trigger

I was having the same issues with mine. Called Styer and they sent me a new extractor.....Problem solved!

www.rpmcw.com
    "SportBike Track Day Headquarters"

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger45 View Post
    I was having the same issues with mine. Called Styer and they sent me a new extractor.....Problem solved!
    This is great news for me!

I was having the same problems as in this video. I'll call Steyr for the new extractor! Did you call Steyr Arms in the U.S.?

THANK YOU!

What an excellent review! It's sad to see that brand new pistol choke like that - I thought these new imports were supposed to come with all the latest and greatest revisions of parts to fix the issues? Steyr is REALLY shooting themselves in the foot if that is not the case.

It is interesting that the trouble seemed magazine related. When I purchased my first Steyr, I had tons of issues - until Steyr sent me new magazine springs. My trouble was FTE's, but using the new springs somehow cleared that right up and I haven't had any trouble since (that was YEARS ago). Whatever the issue is (and even though it hardly makes sense), I think "good" magazines clear things up (I pefer the 15 coil springs).
    My Steyr M9A1 Evolution: v1.0, v2.0, v2.5, v3.0
    Project MSAR STG-556:v1.0
    Caracal Reviews: F and C

Quote Originally Posted by Syntax360 View Post
    What an excellent review! It's sad to see that brand new pistol choke like that - I thought these new imports were supposed to come with all the latest and greatest revisions of parts to fix the issues? Steyr is REALLY shooting themselves in the foot if that is not the case.

It is interesting that the trouble seemed magazine related. When I purchased my first Steyr, I had tons of issues - until Steyr sent me new magazine springs. My trouble was FTE's, but using the new springs somehow cleared that right up and I haven't had any trouble since (that was YEARS ago). Whatever the issue is (and even though it hardly makes sense), I think "good" magazines clear things up (I pefer the 15 coil springs).
    Wow! That NEVER even crossed my mind about the mag springs! I'll keep that in mind!

I spoke to Jeff at SAI and he is sending me a different extractor.

I love Steyr and it is unfortunate but I am loyal.

Living in Michigan, many people are loyal to certain car manufacturers and they have had COUNTLESS recalls ove the years. Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world.

Great video. I think the M9A1 needs a good break in. I was getting FTEs with various brands of ammo at a rate of 1 FTE per 50. I have a total of about 800 rounds thru the pistol and have not had any in the last 300. However, I have also discovered the art of reloading and have had no FTE issues with any of my 200 reloads. My reloads are 115 copper plated round nose, minimum starting powder charge with Titegroup, and all my brass is range brass of all different brands.
    M9A1
    12 Ga. Grizzly 12.5" Tactical

Sounds like you've found a good load. What OAL are you holding? That info would help folks trying to duplicate your loads. Might as well indicate what you consider a minimum starting charge, or the source of the value.
    CZ 75B SA - .40
    M40-A1
    S&W 627 - .357
    vz58 - 7.62x39
    Swiss K31 - 7.5x55
    Sako Forrester .308

Any government official who knowingly violates the first ten Amendments to the Constitution, or the 13th Amendment should be sentenced to life in prison, or death, if individuals are killed during the comission of the crime.

I enjoyed watching your video review, but I do have two minor issues with it (you did ask for opinions). You are clearly having an extraction problem, yet both of you keep using the term "failure to feed" (FTF), instead of failure to extract (FTE), which is a bit confusing and inaccurate. Your pistol isn't feeding because it's not extracting the fired cartridge first. Also, releasing the slide on an already chambered cartridge is very hard on the extractor! Assuming you have the time (no zombies attacking), it would be better to push a cleaning rod, pencil, etc. down the barrel to remove the cartridge from the chamber, and not force the extractor hook over the chambered cartridge's rim by allowing the slide to go forward into battery. The extractor has a spring to allow it move sideways and reduce chances of breakage, but it's not designed to operate the way you were forcing it to in the video.

Cary
    Last edited by cchiang1; 02-23-2012 at 03:46 PM.

I am new to the Steyr M9A1 having just acquired an M9A1 this week. I got the gun NIB with two magazines, case and cleaning kit from Cabela's for $399.99. It is marked PW Arms Redmond Washington. The serial is 041479, don't know if that is early or late. I lubed it with Tetra according to the manual and went to the range. I was using Winchester NATO ball and Federal 115 gr fmj. The gun was a pleasure to shoot and accurate. I particularly liked the sights. I shot 60 rounds using each magazine twice. The gun failed to eject 3 times, with each type of ammo and both magazines. My experience duplicated what was in the video. How did you did you resolve this issue? Has this problem been solved? Is factory support available or are these guns " orphans"? Any info would be appreciated!

These guns are definitely NOT orphans!

Call SteyrArms, talk to Jeff, he'll set you up. I personally, with the benefit of my enforced learning experience with my two M40-A1s, would invest in a 1911 slidestop/safety plunger spring, cut 3/16" off of it and insert it into the extractor plunger spring. Provided you have the domed plunger and not the beveled one, this will probably fix things until Jeff can get you a new model extractor.

CZ 75B SA - .40
    M40-A1
    S&W 627 - .357
    vz58 - 7.62x39
    Swiss K31 - 7.5x55
    Sako Forrester .308

Any government official who knowingly violates the first ten Amendments to the Constitution, or the 13th Amendment should be sentenced to life in prison, or death, if individuals are killed during the comission of the crime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast