Feeding problem
Steyr Club - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Feeding problem

Default Feeding problem

Hi guys,

Hopefully you can point me in the right direction to resolving this.

I (finally) shot some Ranger JHP through the M40 and I'm a bit upset. This is supposed to be my "go to" gun and home defense weapon, but I can't put more than 2 rounds down without a failure to feed.

Seems that the nose of the bullet gets stuck at the feed ramp. Easily cleared, I just pull the slide back a little, let it go and it feeds properly, 2 rounds, then it chokes again.
    I was thinking about polishing the feed ramp a bit more, but it 'kinda' looks like it's sticking at the edge, so I don't know how much that would help.

Any ideas of how I can resolve this, besides trying other ammo? I'd like it to be able to shoot anything I put in the mag.

Thanks!
    Paul

Default Re: Feeding problem

Check your magazine followers and verify that you have the correct parts. If it is only a problem with Ranger ammo, you aren't going to like the answer (you already know it). You could try polishing the feed ramp some more, but perhaps it's time to look into something like a few boxes of Federal Hi-Shok Tactical?

How many rounds do you have through this gun?

My Steyr M9A1 Evolution: v1.0, v2.0, v2.5, v3.0
    Project MSAR STG-556:v1.0
    Caracal Reviews: F and C

Quote Originally Posted by Syntax360 View Post
    Check your magazine followers and verify that you have the correct parts. If it is only a problem with Ranger ammo, you aren't going to like the answer (you already know it). You could try polishing the feed ramp some more, but perhaps it's time to look into something like a few boxes of Federal Hi-Shok Tactical?

How many rounds do you have through this gun?
    Thanks Syntax!

The mags haven't been apart other than just cleaning out, once in a great while, and not mixed between mags either. I've shot lots through this gun with all the mags, mostly range fodder ammo though. This (I think) is the only ammo it hasn't liked.

I probably have about 2,000 rds through it, well between 1k and 2k. I've got some metal polish (Ryobi white rouge) that I plan to use with my Dremel and little buffing head this weekend to see if that helps.

You think it's probably the ammo? I'm thinking of trying the Speer Gold Dot, and I'm sure bullet technology has progressed, so I'll have to research more of that.

Failures to load can be caused by a number of factors, but right up there at the top is a OAL that's just over the standard, or expected length. It can also be caused by the shape of the ogive. My M40-A1 has eaten pretty much everything, but I usually do a chamber check on all of my reloaded rounds using a Wilson chamber gauge. That also gives a reading on the OAL. Even though I'm "just" gaming, a FTL costs precious seconds, just like a FTF, or FTE.

I will say, it won't be life threatening, but in the middle of a match it seems damned close...
    CZ 75B SA - .40
    M40-A1
    S&W 627 - .357
    vz58 - 7.62x39
    Swiss K31 - 7.5x55
    Sako Forrester .308

Any government official who knowingly violates the first ten Amendments to the Constitution, or the 13th Amendment should be sentenced to life in prison, or death, if individuals are killed during the comission of the crime.

The performance envelopes for Federal Hi-Shok Tactical and Winchester Ranger are nearly identical; both are available bonded, both have similar weight offerings, and they are priced nearly the same. Gold Dots are a very good choice as well, but I think they might be more expensive.
    My Steyr M9A1 Evolution: v1.0, v2.0, v2.5, v3.0
    Project MSAR STG-556:v1.0
    Caracal Reviews: F and C

My M40 has been 100% so far but I havent reached 1000rds yet,there has been alot of threads about ammo issues on other forums.I would try some different brands and see,guess I been real lucky with my Steyrs having no problems.
    Steyr L9-A1
    Steyr M9-A1
    Caracal F
    HK VP9
    G17 RTF2

Just got my m40 back from styer had same problems was mags. Marking the mags see if they all do it. I had one bad out of 3. Smitty

I had a few feeding issues with my M40. I polished the barrel feed ramp and also noticed the inside of the magazine feed lips a bit rough and scratching the brass cases as they left the magazines. Go to a hardware store and buy a couple sheets of 'crocus" cloth. Polish the feed ramp a bit but take each magazine apart and polish any burrs or sharp edges at the feed lips. The magazine lips should be smooth with no sharp edges or burrs. Your magazines may be causing some drag as the cartridge tries to leave it. This fixed my issues and took less than 1 minute per magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by thess02 View Post
    I had a few feeding issues with my M40. I polished the barrel feed ramp and also noticed the inside of the magazine feed lips a bit rough and scratching the brass cases as they left the magazines. Go to a hardware store and buy a couple sheets of 'crocus" cloth. Polish the feed ramp a bit but take each magazine apart and polish any burrs or sharp edges at the feed lips. The magazine lips should be smooth with no sharp edges or burrs. Your magazines may be causing some drag as the cartridge tries to leave it. This fixed my issues and took less than 1 minute per magazine.
    Great idea! Thanks!