OVER SHADOWED: REVIEW & RANGE REPORT – CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow
Česká Zbrojovka claims that the CZ-75 (and variants) are in service with "more Governments, Militaries, Police and Security agencies than any other pistol in the world."
The CZ-75 has a mystique all its own. The late Jeff Cooper loved the way the pistol, with its distinctive humpbacked grip, felt in the hand and styled the grip of his legendary Bren Ten after it. A long-time advocate of the Colt M1911, hailed it as the best-designed double-action autoloader available. It has become one of the most popular pistols of its class.
THE SHADOW: A BLAST
CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow is a vatiant of the CZ 75 SP-01, which is the first full size handgun (4.72” bbl) from CZ to feature the improved manufacturing technology and ergonomics of the NATO approved CZ 75 Compact P-01 model. Featuring an integral 1913 accessory rail on the dust cover, rubber grip panels, and CZ’s corrosion resistant black polycoat finish, the SP-01 is the newest model to join the family of pistols based on the CZ 75 (SA/DA) platform. Borrowing from the improved grip geometry of the CZ 75 Compact P-01, the SP-01 utilizes an extended beavertail to protect shooter’s strong hand as well as allowing for a deeper and more secure grip. The new grip geometry with checkering in key areas on the front and back straps combined with the redistribution of mass provided by the accessory rail noticeably decreases the perceived recoil from previous models and allows for more rapid target acquisition and transitions.
[Courtesy: czusa.com; czub.ch]
While the SP-01 was designed as a military and law enforcement duty sidearm, the new generation CZ 75 SP-01 pistol is especially adapted according to suggestions as proposed by users from Law Enforcement, Military and Police communities worldwide, with an additional input from the Team CZ world premier shooters Angus Hobdell and Adam Tyc.
- The CZ 75 SP-01 SHADOW features no firing pin block, which consequently helps to slightly reduce trigger pull weight, reduces distance of trigger reset, and improves trigger travel properties.
- 85 Combat Style trigger with over travel adjustment helps to remove excess rear ward trigger movement.
Shadow is fitted with a newly redesigned hammer originating from the CZ 75 Champion. This hammer is slightly wider and has modified sear engagement for smoother release and more positive ignition.
- Pistol frame which comes from a new mould incorporates alterations such as recess beneath the trigger guard and beavertail to enable a higher grip of this handgun.
- Slightly “weaker” recoil spring originating from standard production CZ 75/85 pistols facilitates loading and enhances the shooting comfort.
- Sights consisting of fiber optics front sight and tactical “Novak style” rear sight to promote much easier, faster and more accurate target acquisition.
- Round off edges of magazine well, substantially improve reloading. This new generation of CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow pistol is appropriate for service use, self-defense and sport alike.
- Higher cuts beneath the trigger guard and beaver tail enable a higher grip on the gun, which helps to reduce felt recoil and muzzle flip.
- Lighter recoil and main springs originating from original CZ 75 Specifications help to create a smoother more consistent action.
Model: CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow
Manufacturer: Česká Zbrojovka, Czech Republic
Caliber: 9x19 mm Parabellum
Dimensions: L=210 mm, H=147mm, W=37mm
Barrel: 114 mm
Weight(unloaded): 1170 grams
Capacity: 18 rounds, 19 FMJs easily loaded, JHPs limited to 18 (& half!)
Trigger: SA/DA, CZ85 Combat style, adjustable pre and over travel.
Safety: Manual Safety, hammer safety notch. (No firing Pin Block).
Front Sights: High Viz Fiber Optic, Red - Dovetailed.
Rear Sights: Novak tactical, dovetailed secured by a screw, adjustable for windage.
Grips: Soft rubber, Full checkered.
Finish: Dull Polycoat.