Quantcast
Ammunition for SSG 69 .308
Steyr Club - Powered by vBulletin

Post Ammunition for SSG 69 .308

I have just bought an SSG 69 II Police and am trying to pick peoples brains as to waht load they have used successfully for range shooting up to 600yds. Have already started my own reloads and just have been using 168 gn Sierra match heads with 42 grains of Vihtavouri 530.
    A colleague on the range also has a Steyr but SSG 08 and is having some success with 155 Hornady , but we are both having probelms at 600 yds so any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Default Re: Ammunition for SSG 69 .308

What kind of problems? That's a load I'd consider using when I reload mine. What is the muzzle velocity w/ the 530?

...out to 600 yards (and further...) do not use a 155 grain bullet. You should go with a 168 grains or even heavier....168 grains / 180 grains Match loads work fine out to about 900 yards.
    Federal Gold Medal Match is nice and so is the Hornady TAP....

I'm currently shooting Nosler Custom Competition 168 HP factory loads. I'm getting 1.25" groups (and better) at 200 yrds but expect to start loading for it soon.
    I'm new to the rifle and .308.
    I plan to stick to the 168gr bullets as here in Idaho, anything I shoot at will be at 300 yrds+. Just curious about powders/weights.

This is a bit of a different animal than my old 6.5x54s, 7mmMag or 7mm Mauser...

Hi Guys

Try the 175gr Sierra Matchkings. Here's an interesting thread at SniperCentral.

Oh, and here's another good thread, http://www.700rifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=87.

Hope this helps.

Be safe and have fun!

Wulf
    Last edited by Wulf; 11-12-2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Forgot somethin' <shrug>

Thanks Wulf, lots of good info at SniperCentral.
    They seem pretty obsessed w/ the SMK 175s!
    I don't get a lot of time to reload/range test so I'm trying to kepp my development time to a minimum.
    From the published data on the Nosler CC factory loads, it looks like they are near maximum velocities/pressures.
    I think I want to dial things back just a bit.

Right now I'm leaning towards 43-44 gr. Varget w/ a 168gr bullet (SMK or NCC) in the Nosler cases I've been buying. CCI primers.

Any thoughts on that load, specifically for the PII-K?

Hiya Rotary*

I hava lit'l reload info from my Tikka T3, 22.6" bbl, 1:11 twist. I was shooting 165 and 168 gr HPBT's and using Varget. My best loads for accuracy with Varget was about 42 gr's. I COL'd at 2.80" and mostly use the collet neck die for resizing my brass.

I found that less than 42 gr's of Varget opened up my groups from the bench atta 100 yds, as did more then 42 gr's.

Of course, a 25" bbl with a 1:12 twist will make a difference, as will adjusting your COL, if appropriate. "Apples & Oranges", kind of thing. <shrug>

I'm notta bigtime long range bench competitor and never found a need to shoot over a couple hundred yards at Colorado deer and elk, so I may be of lit'l or no use to you for 600 yd + reloading data.

Sorry. <shrug>

On another note, I switched over to 43 gr's of RL-15, COL 2.80" for my hunting loads...and went to 165 gr Sierra GameKings for the hunt. My groups are more consistent from the bench atta 100 yds with the RL-15, compared to the Varget in my Tikka.

Anyway, g'luck, Bro.

Wulf

Where are the times not pondering about ammo but using the Hirtenberger rounds that came with the rifle ... sorry, just a moment of nostalgia.