Quantcast
Steyr Triangular Trapezoid Sights
Steyr Club - Powered by vBulletin

Default Steyr Triangular Trapezoid Sights

Greetings, Herr Bubits

I was immediately able to appreciate the Steyr Triangular Trapezoid sights. For me, they allow for a quick target acquisition and my point of impact from their use is naturally accurate and effortless. <shrug> The only downside to this sighting system for me has been the absence of any after market front night sights, to my liking.

So, I set about trying to construct a suitable replacement for the OEM front sight, with varying degrees of success.

This was the result of the use of a factory front sight assembly, with the injected plastic material removed, and a slightly larger hole drilled to accept a light-pipe made for the front sights for shotguns.

I had to grind away some of the upper front sight housing to allow for additional light for the light-pipe.

By heating both ends of the light-pipe and smearing them, it was held in place and the triangular shape was formed. The problem, of course, was that this crude method of fastening with heat also smudges the surfaces and disturbs the refracting properties of the ambient light.

If I could have simply drilled the hole larger to accommodate a tritium light vial, and secured it with a triangular lens, I think the results would be very much improved, and I would have my Triangular Trapezoid front night sight, tout de suite.

My question is, "Can you find any fault with my line of reasoning?"

And, if its really that simple, why not bypass the plastic injection stage of the factory front sight assembly, add an appropriate tritium vial and cover and secure it with a triangular lens?

The rear sight, well...that's another story. I can't tell you how many Triangular Trapezoid rear sight housings I have mangled, without any favorable results. *sigh* I simply haven't the patience nor resources for that project, but then again, I'm not sure that I would need the rear sight in most night fight pistol scenarios. <shrug>

Please pardon my crude drawing. I never could keep my colouring inside-the-lines nor my penmanship decent.

Vielen Dank für Ihre Zeit, Herr Bubits

Wulf

Default Re: Steyr Triangular Trapezoid Sights

The drawing looks great Wulf, its that scribbled cat scratch hieroglyphics next to it that looks crude..........

How about trying to polish the plastic? Possibly with some mild heat.
    NRA Member
    One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children

Offline Firearms Designer STE_SUPPORTER.png
    Junior Steyroid

Dear Wulf,

Hope you are doing well!

A little late I want to react to the modification of Steyr front sights. You give off a good designer. Any question or idea is good - at most there can be bad answers. I equipped my Steyr pistol with a tritium insert from Company Trijicon. For this purpose I drilled an exactly fitting hole in the central point of the triangle to the Trijicon insert, that means the drilling hole is situated in the white synthetic. I provided the drilling itself with a chamfer, whereby the Trijicon tubule was set a little inward and therewith it shines funnel-shaped outwards. Important is that the chamfer and the depth of the set Trijicon insert are well-matched.

Thanks for your understanding that I can't always react on various questions immediately. At the moment I really have a lot of work to do, thereby also the weekends are not off work.

Greetings Herr Bubits

Thank you very much for your post.

If you would be so kind, perhaps when you have the time, you could post a closeup of your front sight for me and The Boys?

I and some of your other Club Bros are very interested in having night sights with the true Triangular Traps design.

Your tips on the drilling and chamfering are much appreciated, and I will further explore with rekindled fervor for this project.

I would also like to insert the largest Tritium tubule I can get my hands on for the conversion.

If I had this information from you, I would seek to acquire the Tritium tubule prior to the drilling and chamfering of the front sight. <shrug>

Sincerely,

Wulf

Have any of you researched Trigalight technology?
    http://www.mbmicrotec.com/e/technolo...ght-technology
    Bassicaly it is very similar to whar Wulf has in mind.

"Trigalight works similar to a CRT tube, formar used in TV screens.
    As well as the TV CRT tubes, our lights are built from a glass housing, a gas proof glass containment. The inner walls of this glas vessel are coated with a very thin lyer of phosphorescent powder. This powder (Zinc Sulfide) has the ability to change electrical energy into light.
    The electric energy in case of the trigalight is generated by the tritium gas, a low radiation beta emmitter. While decaying, the tritium sends it's electrons out. When such an electron hits the layer, it is captured and transformed into light.
    The colours of our trigalights are therefore not depending on the gas filled in, but on the coating, which can be varied.

The brightness how ever is proportional to the filling pressure (quantity of gas) of the light."

I wanted to give them an email, and ask if they can produce a triangular detail, but I have not got required dimensions of the Steyr sight insert at the moment.
    As for rear sight, their small trigalights that are used in wathes can be used
    http://www.mbmicrotec.com/e/products/watch-lights

Hiya *test*

This product is definitely in my things to explore folder.

Wulf <-- diggs all the input from 'is SC Bro's on this project