Quantcast
Thoughts to shortened sight lines at pistols
Steyr Club - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thoughts to shortened sight lines at pistols

About two years ago I started to correct my own sight defects - existing farsightedness - on my pistols through optical devices, like red dot systems. In this course I found out that due to the moving of the rear sight in front of the ejection window or in the rear of the ejection window the sight quality - clear view of rear sight - was improved. A further positive effect is the quicker target aquisition. In my experience the shortening of the sight line has nearly no consequence for a quick shot over 15m. There's also no problem at a distance of 25m. It is only important that the width of the chink of light between front and rear sight is very tight, whereby also at a distance of 25m the same hit image can be scored, as this is the case with longer sight lines. At Caracal the models with shortened sight lines are called "Quick See" or in common speech "Quick Sights". Suchlike pistols can be seen on Caracal's homepage. I want to point out that Caracal has a patent for this so-called Quick Sight, however only if the rear sight is placed in front of the ejection window. That means rear sights, which are placed in the rear of the ejection window - close to the impact face - don't concern the patent.

I modified my Steyr S9 and M9, as well as M40, S40, M357 in to the effect that the rear sight is equipped behind the ejection window. Also I made an "own" variant of 1911 with shortened sight line.

If pictures of them are requested, I can show them.

Default Re: Thoughts to shortened sight lines at pistols

Dear Mr. Bubits,
    The pictures of your guns will be much appreciated by everyone here. Please post them if it is possible. Thank you

that is very interesting and would be something to see how effective that would be. Having older eyes that might help sighting for us grey hairs.

Pictures please!!
    Richard
    GB 9mm M9-A1 M40-A1 M357
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship."
    Alexander Fraser Tytler

A 1911? This should be interesting... It reminds me of when Wulf put trapezoid sights from a Steyr on his 4" Commander.
    My Steyr M9A1 Evolution: v1.0, v2.0, v2.5, v3.0
    Project MSAR STG-556:v1.0
    Caracal Reviews: F and C

6. Default Re: Thoughts to shortened sight lines at pistols

Please do provide the pictures when you get a chance, Mr. Bubits. I'm being premature, but I'm still hoping there's a way to mount both conventional and optical sights on the same pistol. At the same time, I had a moment of revelation a few years ago when I switched from one pistol to the same model with a longer sight radius. Even if marrying an optic to conventional sights is unrealistic, it would be fascinating to compare shooting a pistol with sights just behind the ejection port to shooting pistols with both a conventional arrangement and a set of the Quick See sights.

Yeah, that was a fun project.

Not many ppl had the opportunity ta try outta rig like this! It was a blast ta shoot anna real tack drivin' SOB!

Quote Originally Posted by Syntax360 View Post
    A 1911? This should be interesting... It reminds me of when Wulf put trapezoid sights from a Steyr on his 4" Commander.
    Now, how bout those pics, Herr Bubits? ... please?

Wulf <-- can't wait ta start a new project!

These links should be fine now:

Last edited by Syntax360; 01-28-2011 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Fixed BBcode and picture links

Technical advice to my private 1911 wih shortened sight line:

The pistols are not photographed inverted and the pistol also hasn't two extractors, as some might think, on the left side of the slide. The extractor is on the right side of the slide. On the left slide's side I integrated a variable impact face wall, whereby I'm able to shoot 9mm, 40 and 45 bullets without changing the slide.

I equipped the front sight with a fiber glass insert. On the rear sight there are no contrast areas, that means it is black.

Dear Mr. Bubits,
    That is a real masterpiece. Variable impact face wall for multiple calibers is ingenious idea. Thank you for sharing with us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast