Quantcast
American Firearms Manufacturing Co., INC - .25 ACP
Steyr Club - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question American Firearms Manufacturing Co., INC - .25 ACP

Hey guys,

Sorry for the wall of text below, but here it goes.

I offered my services to a person that works at an office next door to mine as she knew I was affiliated with a friend of mines gun shop.
    She mentioned two pistols that she has that needed to be cleaned of which I said I would help her out with.

Today she brought over both said handguns, one is a lovely Taurus .38 SPL chrome with dark wood grips, it is not in all to bad of shape just needs a good once over and it should be good to go, and the other is my reason for posting today.

It is a .25 ACP American Firearms Manufacturing Co., INC. pocket pistol, needless to say this thing has had better days, it has a good amount of surface rust, and looks like the internals could use a good scrub down as well.
    My problem however is trying to field strip the thing as I see no possible way at all to take apart this pistol, there are no obvious pins or anything to remove that would allow me to get the slide to come off.
    Only thing I have been able to do is taking the wood hand grips off, and remove a small metal sliver that is on the right hand of the frame just in front of the safety.

Below are links for pictures of the handgun in question, I did not directly post them since they are high resolution images and did not want to break the forum tables:

Left Hand Side
    Left Hand Side (Close Up)
    Right Hand Side
    Right Hand Side (Close Up)
    Rear of Slide
    Front of Slide

Notice the front of slide has a small hole in what appears to be its guide rod, I have tried slowly turning this in hopes that it would "unscrew" something in the internals and allow the slide to come free, but alas has done nothing.
    The silver metal sliver piece on the right hand side I have removed, then tried to tap on the safety but it will not budge, and I do not want to put any more pressure there not knowing first if that is what actually needs to be done.

The only thing I have been able to track down about this piece is the following from Cheaper Than Dirt on a Google search:

AMERICAN FIREARMS MANUFACTURING CO., INC.
    Previous manufacturer located in San Antonio, TX between 1972 and 1974.

Manufacturer Specific Product Categories

DERRINGERS
    AMERICAN .38 SPL.
    - .38 Spl. cal., O/U configuration, approx. 3,000-4,000 mfg. 1972-74.
    AMERICAN .380 AUTOMATIC
    - .380 ACP cal., 8 shot, 3 1/2 in. barrel, stainless steel, smooth walnut grips, approx. 10 mfg. 1972-74.

SEMI-AUTO
    AMERICAN .25 AUTOMATIC
    - .25 ACP cal., 8 shot, 2 1/10 in. barrel, smooth walnut grips. Mfg. 1966-74.

So with all that being said, does anyone have ideas at all on where I should go to try and find some manual for this and or any ideas on how to break this old guy down?

Or any other forums to post this in, in hopes someone else can help.

Let me know!

Last edited by Bone_Enterprise; 12-03-2010 at 12:35 PM.
    My Steyr Family: M9, M40-A1, S40-A1
    Personal Owned Calibers: .380, 9mm, .40, .45, 7.62x39, .223/5.56, .308, 12GA
    Omega Arms, L.L.C. - Gunbroker Auctions
    "I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6."

Default Re: American Firearms Manufacturing Co., INC - .25 ACP

First place - Numrich. Second place - Gun Digest Vol. 2 Revolvers and Pistols. Third place - Gunsmithing forums.

CZ 75B SA - .40
    M40-A1
    S&W 627 - .357
    vz58 - 7.62x39
    Swiss K31 - 7.5x55
    Sako Forrester .308

Any government official who knowingly violates the first ten Amendments to the Constitution, or the 13th Amendment should be sentenced to life in prison, or death, if individuals are killed during the comission of the crime.

Does the slide lift off the frame, similar to a Bersa, Walther, or Makarov? If you rack it to the rear, pull backwards and "up" at the same time, does it pop off?
    My Steyr M9A1 Evolution: v1.0, v2.0, v2.5, v3.0
    Project MSAR STG-556:v1.0
    Caracal Reviews: F and C

The rear of the slide looks very similar to a friend's Jennings .22LR. With the slide closed, try pressing in on the "hammer" looking doohickey with a brass punch. The Jennings' slide was held in place by that piece and the guide rod spring. With that piece depressed, the slide would lift off from the rear.

Come to think of it, it is very similar to how you remove the dust cover from an AK-47.
    ‘‘Sure... if you're rounding Pi down to three. Please don't make me add 'rounding Pi down to three' to your list of crimes.’’
    — Emperor Pius Dei

Living by your spiritual beliefs is easy. Dying by them can be Hell.

"...If Plan A is to take multiple .338 shots to the back, you really need to come up with a Plan B..."[link]

I am out of town till Sunday and forgot to bring it with me so will try mentioned methods when I get home.
    Hopefully one of them will work.

After reviewing the pictures again, I'd bet money that it disassembles identically to the Jennings .22. Push that hammer-button thing in and I guarantee the slide will lift up and slide off the barrel.

Any updates?
    ‘‘Sure... if you're rounding Pi down to three. Please don't make me add 'rounding Pi down to three' to your list of crimes.’’
    — Emperor Pius Dei

"...If Plan A is to take multiple .338 shots to the back, you really need to come up with a Plan B..."[link]

Sorry for the late update, still have got nowhere on this endevor.
    Do not know where all my damn brass punches are at so have been taping on it lightly with other things, and it will not budge.

Have tried the "rocking back" on the slide for what it is possible to and it will not budge either.
    It is possible I may just give up the ghost on it, as it aparently had some issues with the firing pin on it, and I have seen nothing at all as far as parts go on this, much less if anything is interchangeable.

Finally!
    Got the fucker apart, it definatly needs a new firing pin, so now that is the next impossible project.

No no nononono.

You have to give. How did it come apart <grin>?
    — Emperor Pius Dei

This was by far the most difficult thing to take apart, much less put back together, I will for certian not take this down again unless it is the last possible resort for doing something.

To do this was a combination of two recommendations:
    1) Using a flathead screwdriver to depress the action on the back of the slide as mentioned. (This gave me access to the firing pin and spring.)
    2) Pulled back on the slide and then pulled up, this PARTIALLY got the slide to come off. However it was seized in place since the barrel does not move at all, that the guide rod has two damn springs on it, and the clearance between the end of the guide rod and the end of the slide is not very much to mess with, especially when the springs are trying to force themselves off like a rocket into my cornea.

So after said firing pin spring was removed it became a matter of trying to figure out how to rack back the slide to compress the guide rod spring and then get the slide to come off, this task is literally impossible to do with one person, well at least with in the condition this piece was in.
    I had taken this piece with me to a friends house when I went to visit to see if we could tackle this project, lucky for me I did as it took both of us to get the slide to release.
    With one of us holding back on the slide, the other had to get a small bladed flathead screwdriver and hold the spring in place, so then you could push the slide back forwards to get over the stationary barrel and the guide rod, then pull up to pop the slide off.

So with all that being said here are pictures of it after it being broke down, again linking the direct urls for pictures so I do not break the forum.

Full Breakdown
    Slide Removal Refrence (This is about what angle the slide had to be held to remove it properly)

Here are shots of the firing pin that needs to be replaced, and or somehow repaired/modified so it has an actual pin again.
    Firing Pin Length
    Firing Pin Failure Point

So yeah after all this hassle and taking two people to basically take it apart, then came the task of getting it cleaned up which all the surface rust came off fairly easily thank goodness (at least one part of this project was easy), the next task which I hope I never have to endure again was putting the blasted thing back together.

This process JUST to get the slide back on took at least two hours for me to do by myself as there was no easy way to reassemble it (hell much less take apart).
    As there is no physical way to compress two guide rod springs all the way down with your fingers in the gap between the bottom of the barrel and the upper half of the bottom of the frame.
    I had to compress the spring as far down as possible then get a flathead to just barely hold the side of the spring to keep tension while trying to mount the slide back on and feed the guide rod into the small hole in the front of the slide, while trying to not fling the springs off into oblivion.
    Half the time the springs would release and get all sideways and not allow me to rack the slide back, other times the guide rod would simply not line up and go into the side.

So with this pain in the ass project (almost) complete, me having finger tips that are raw as fuck, and having a surface rust free pistol again (though it was about to get more as I was on the verge of hurling this damn pistol in the pond behind my house), we proceede on to finding a fix for this firing pin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast