What are the best night sights for m9a1?
Steyr Club - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are the best night sights for m9a1?

Hello gents, thinking of getting some night sights for my steyr m9a1, what are the best ones for a good price and quality. What are pt sights like compared to others. peace. links would be nice too. oh and what color combos are good.

Last edited by bosman777; 08-03-2010 at 09:36 PM.
    You can have your cake and eat it, too. The crux of the problem happens when you eat your cake. When you eat your cake: It's gone. Therefore you cannot eat your cake and have it, too.

Default Re: What are the best night sights for m9a1?

There are two options that I know about:
    • Steyr factory night sights
    • Trijicon 3 Dot Front & Rear Night Sight Set (http://www.opticsplanet.net/trijicon...-set-st01.html or http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/p...ategoryID=7#16 ) 3 options- Green Front & Rear, Green Front & Yellow Rear, Green Front & Orange Rear.

I have no experience with them whatsoever.
    Good luck

The best night sights are the ones you are actually able to get... PT went under a few months back (good riddance). This pretty much leaves Trijicon and maybe Meprolights. Color options are going to be pretty limited - probably just straight green or amber/green/amber. I personally like contrasting colors (I use blue/green/blue), but some folks don't - that's a call you're going to have to make.

Installation can be problematic, as most standard sight pushers do not work with the Steyr. Be sure that whoever does the install is competent and tooled up for the task... Contact your local Steyr distributor would probably be the cheapest/easiest way to get it done.
    My Steyr M9A1 Evolution: v1.0, v2.0, v2.5, v3.0
    Project MSAR STG-556:v1.0
    Caracal Reviews: F and C

Any suggestions or recommendations on someone who can correctly install the Trijicon sights?

Are you for real dodo, i can put a whole car together with my own two hands, how hard can it be to put nights sights on a pistol, seriously. save yourself some money and do it yourself. peace. I still love your user name lol.
    You can have your cake and eat it, too. The crux of the problem happens when you eat your cake. When you eat your cake: It's gone. Therefore you cannot eat your cake and have it, too.

Tooltechgunsights.com will install Trijicon for you. Trijicon is probably the best, and TTGS is their go-to work guy.

I'd be happy to say Good Riddance to P-T, if the fracking numblehunkers hadn't taken my 1911 slide and a set of sights with them. Fracking numblehunkers.
    Ben B,
    Eugene, OR

Syntax360 wrote: ...No, the answer is quite simple: Ben is a liar. There is simply no other plausible explanation. ...

Quote Originally Posted by MINKMAN
    ...Most ipsc shooters aren't very good defensive shooters , they're just playing a game with a race gun with all the toys on it....

I'd be livid! Real sorry to hear that, Ben.
    My Steyr M9A1 Evolution: v1.0, v2.0, v2.5, v3.0
    Project MSAR STG-556:v1.0
    Caracal Reviews: F and C

It worked out OK. I lost a std GI slide with itty bitty worthless sights...and from a local smith/acquaintance I acquired a mil spec slide with useable sites and scalloped, extended ejection port for $225. I probably would have spent at around $200 extending and scalloping the eject port, reParkerizing, and buying new sights. (if I had to open the port up).

Oh, and my CC company backcharged about $180 back to me after 3 months of getting cornholed and lied to by PT, which was cool of the CC company, I thought.

But that doesn't change my feelings for PT, the rucking stampletuggers.
    Ben B,
    Eugene, OR

Syntax360 wrote: ...No, the answer is quite simple: Ben is a liar. There is simply no other plausible explanation. ...

Quote Originally Posted by MINKMAN
    ...Most ipsc shooters aren't very good defensive shooters , they're just playing a game with a race gun with all the toys on it....

It's possible to drift sights without a sight pusher. The key is in good preparation and in making a drift punch that fits just right.

1) Strip your gun and apply penetrating oil to the sight dovetails. Use something like Kroil or PB Blaster. Let it soak several hours at least.

2) While you're waiting, it's time to make some punches. Use brass rod stock of a diameter that's just a little smaller than the width of the sight dovetail. Use a flat file or grinder to cut a flat on one side of the rod so that it has a "D" shape when viewed end-on. Later when you use the punch, you will want to put the flat surface down in the dovetail.

3) Degrease the outside of the pistol slide and wrap completely in a layer or two of electric tape, leaving just the sights and dovetails exposed. The tape is cheap insurance to prevent scratching, if you slip.

4) Secure the slide in a LARGE bench vise equipped with non-marring jaws. Brass jaw inserts work... so will thin strips of wood, leather, etc. Make sure the slide is clamped with as much surface area contact is possible, with the sight dovetails just a little higher than the top of the jaws. You want it in there as solid as possible, but you don't want to crush it with insane force. That's why it's crucial to clamp it well using a reasonable, moderate amount of jaw force.

5) Research WHICH WAY your pistols sights are supposed to be drifted on and off. Some guns go left-to-right, some go right-to-left.

6) Orient the vise so that you can drift the sights from the proper direction easily (see step #5)

7) Fit the end of your custom drift punch against the BOTTOM of the side of the sight dovetail. You want the force to be low and parallel to the dovetail.

8) Now... use the biggest hammer that you can control reliably. This is not time for pussyfooting around with a little tack hammer. If you apply multiple light blows, you'll only peen the dovetail and screw it all up. If you're comfortable with a 3 lb drilling hammer, use it. Just don't slip. .... and strike the drift punch SHARPLY and ACCURATELY, making sure tip of the punch is low and square against the side of the sight. As soon as there's room available, make sure the flat of the "D" on your punch is sitting right down in the bottom of the dovetail on the slide... this will help to guide everything.

9) Reassembly is the reverse of the previous steps. Make sure to drift the sight back in from the same side that you drifted it out.

10) If you are fitting a NEW sight, make sure it fits before jamming it in. Many sights are slightly oversize. You may have to take small amount of material off the BOTTOM of the new sight. Use a flat sharpening stone, diamond hone, or large flat file. Go very slowly and make sure you keep the slide level as you stone it. Test fit often. As SOON as it barely begins to fit in the dovetail, that's it -- stop stoning. Clean the dovetail and sight completely to remove grit, oil liberally, and knock the sight in.

This post deserves to be a STICKY!!! Outstanding How-To for sight adj and new sight mounting.

CZ 75B SA - .40
    M40-A1
    S&W 627 - .357
    vz58 - 7.62x39
    Swiss K31 - 7.5x55
    Sako Forrester .308

Any government official who knowingly violates the first ten Amendments to the Constitution, or the 13th Amendment should be sentenced to life in prison, or death, if individuals are killed during the comission of the crime.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast