Quantcast
Steyr AUG accuracy
Steyr Club - Powered by vBulletin

Question Steyr AUG accuracy

I am seriously considering getting a Steyr AUG A3. As I have never actually fired one, I am naturally curious what kind of accuracy one can expect. I have read from folks who have actually used it (including former Austrian Army members) that it is a very reliable firearm with "decent" accuracy. So is this rifle (generally speaking) a 1"/2"/3" MOA rifle? I recognize the variable complexity here and am just looking for actual users opinions. Thanks guys.

Bittrich

Default Re: Steyr AUG accuracy

It's kind of a hard question, considering most milsurp and sport ammo is 1/2/3 MOA+, depending on the lot... I think the easy answer is that unless you're exclusively shooting match grade ammo, it's going to be more accurate than you and/or your ammo. This question has been beaten to death over on ar15.com's bullpup section - there are more than a few people who report sub-MOA groups with their 16" and 20" guns. But don't forget that most guns shoot a lot better on the internet where there aren't pesky things likes like atmospheric conditions and a dose of stern reality to complicate things...

I think the better question is: what do you intend to do with the rifle?

My Steyr M9A1 Evolution: v1.0, v2.0, v2.5, v3.0
    Project MSAR STG-556:v1.0
    Caracal Reviews: F and C

I completely agree with SYNTAX360's take on accuracy. An out of the box AR type rifle as well as the A3 is not going to shoot MOA at 100 yards with mil spec ammo. I consider within 4 inches reasonable to expect. I have been getting about 3 inch groups using good mil spec ammo with my A3. Depending on scope, better ammo and shooter skill you may do a lot better. But always note it is no a target grade rifle and I would discount "under 1 inch groups" often touted on the internet.

I have done a little accuracy testing with my A3. It was done at 50 yards with the Trijicon TA11F (3.5x35). Federal Match 69 grain - .71" five-shot group; Priv Partizan Match 69 grain - .9" five-shot group.

My guess is that I might be able to do a little better with a higher powered scope with a traditional crosshair.

Pics or it didn't happen...

My Steyr M9A1 Evolution: v1.0, v2.0, v2.5, v3.0
    Project MSAR STG-556:v1.0
    Caracal Reviews: F and C