Quantcast
.40 Cal Review & Decision
Steyr Club - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default .40 Cal Review & Decision

Looking to buy a good .40 cal pistol. Have narrowed down to Glock 22/22c; Jericho/baby eagle; Steyr M40-A1. I have a Steyr GB and love it! Would like to buy another steyr, but am having difficulty justifying it over the other two pistols. Looking for personal experience, or links to good reviews. Thanks.

Default Re: .40 Cal Review & Decision

even glock fans will concede that the unsupported chamber in the glock 40's is a disadvantage over other manufacturer's 40's that feature a fully supported chamber, which the steyr does.

i have no experience with the baby eagle but their followers seem to like them.

when you ask steyr owners, we're likely to say get the steyr.

SAI has top notch customer service which you're unlikely to ever use as the pistols are very good.

Over the years I've had Glocks in every caliber but .357SIG and although they've always been reliable,etc I've always found them lacking in ergonomics, never liked the chincy stock plastic sights, the trigger(regardless of polishing jobs or connectors) and the fact that it's polymer frame flexes like an unsupported garden hose during firing. The Steyr addresses each of these issues in a way that no other polymer frame auto has to date! I have an M9, not a .40 but I can tell you that I was curious about the Steyr for some time before I finally took the plunge. All I can say is that I wish I had jumped in LONG ago when they could be had easily and inexpensively! I've no experience with the Baby eagle, but you're comparing vastly different platforms once the Baby eagle enters the discussion. If Steyr ever offered an enlarged M for the 10mm cartridge, I'd trade my only Glocks in a heartbeat! You can still find new or like new Steyr for 400 or less and if Steyr doesnt decide to begin reimportation at some time in the future, these pistols will become a SOLID investment.
    Steyr M9, M9A1

Quote Originally Posted by bigtaco View Post
    even glock fans will concede that the unsupported chamber in the glock 40's is a disadvantage over other manufacturer's 40's that feature a fully supported chamber, which the steyr does.

i have no experience with the baby eagle but their followers seem to like them.

when you ask steyr owners, we're likely to say get the steyr.

SAI has top notch customer service which you're unlikely to ever use as the pistols are very good.
    Thanks BigTaco. This helps. Do you know where I can purchase accessories and upgrades for the 40-MA1. I saw your videos today...would like to upgrade springs, etc. if I get the Steyr.

Quote Originally Posted by 10mm4ever View Post
    Over the years I've had Glocks in every caliber but .357SIG and although they've always been reliable,etc I've always found them lacking in ergonomics, never liked the chincy stock plastic sights, the trigger(regardless of polishing jobs or connectors) and the fact that it's polymer frame flexes like an unsupported garden hose during firing. The Steyr addresses each of these issues in a way that no other polymer frame auto has to date! I have an M9, not a .40 but I can tell you that I was curious about the Steyr for some time before I finally took the plunge. All I can say is that I wish I had jumped in LONG ago when they could be had easily and inexpensively! I've no experience with the Baby eagle, but you're comparing vastly different platforms once the Baby eagle enters the discussion. If Steyr ever offered an enlarged M for the 10mm cartridge, I'd trade my only Glocks in a heartbeat! You can still find new or like new Steyr for 400 or less and if Steyr doesnt decide to begin reimportation at some time in the future, these pistols will become a SOLID investment.
    Thanks 10mm4ever...your input helps. Where can you purchase MA1 accesories & upgrades...even if they are limited?

The Steyr MA1 in .40 over a Glock .40, any day. Both for ergos and for the chamber, and ability to shoot lead bullets from the Steyr. The M&P .40 is a good consideration, IMO. The Baby Eagle is not one I've handled or shot.

Handle a Steyr MA1 series. If you like the feel and the sights, I'd say that is the answer. If you add the BigTaco spring cups, you have a pretty dang good striker trigger. Add the spring, and you can cut the pull weight markedly.

IMO, the Steyr offers: lowest bore axis, nice grip angle, good value, tight chamber with good inherent accuracy, and it is something different. The customer svc support from SAI is world class, there simply is no better.

The Steyr problems: Less holster availability, tight chamber can make it vulnerable to FTFire/FTExtract problems, few alternative sight options, occasional parts supply delays from Austria to SAI, no current pistols imported from Austria to SAI.

I think it is an excellent carry pistol, and a fine competition gun. The trigger is better than the typical Glock, and perhaps better than the typical M&P. The grip angle and low bore axis make for quicker recovery in rapid fire, and the low(er) price appeals to me. So consequently I now have 4 complete M/MA1 pistols and 2 slide/barrel assemblies.
    Ben B,
    Eugene, OR

Syntax360 wrote: ...No, the answer is quite simple: Ben is a liar. There is simply no other plausible explanation. ...

Quote Originally Posted by MINKMAN
    ...Most ipsc shooters aren't very good defensive shooters , they're just playing a game with a race gun with all the toys on it....

I have owned a Baby Eagle in the past and currently own a Glock 22 (.40) and a Steyr M40A1. I prefer the Steyr for accuracy and feel over the Glock. The Steyr fits my hand perfect and I love everything about it. The Steyr is my favorite pistol I own, by far, although I have shot more rounds through a Glock 22 than any other pistol made and can't really say anything bad about the Glocks. They are excellent for what they were made for (combat handgun) but as you have read they don't have the supported chamber which insn't necessarily a big deal for typical use. Parts and service are widely available for the Glock and pretty much unlimited choices when it comes to holsters and accessories. I owned a Baby Eagle compact .40 a few years back and it shot well. It was heavy because it wasn't polymer and there were some milling marks on the inside etc. The imperfections did not affect function but did make me question quality when I first got it. You will have less choices of holsters and accessories than the Glock but more than the Steyr. Obviously it all depends on your application but the Glocks and Steyr would be the more durable and easiest to maintain of the 3 in my opinion. Glocks and Steyr's are easily broken down for maintenance, lighter, and striker fired. The Baby Eagle is heavier, although there is a polymer version available, or atleast used to be, and it has the traditional SA/DA hammer action. Different strokes for different folks, handle all three, and shoot all three if possible.

My wife and I have 9 Steyrs and we love them all! It's the most ergonomic gun I've ever held. Tightly built, 100% reliable, and damned accurate. The trigger pull makes the Block feel like sandpaper in molasses. The recoil from the M40-A1 feels like most other manufacturer's 9mm. I can't say enough about them. You won't be sorry.

i make some stuff for the steyrs which you can see at btguiderods.com.

the guns are good right out of the box. changing the recoil spring wouldn't be warranted unless you were shooting loads dramatically lighter or hotter than factory.

many people like to change the rod to a stainless while keeping the factory spring rate.

the glide rites are nice. i've got grip plugs available if you don't like the hole in the grip.

thaiboxer is working on putting together a steyr limited gun. he's testing out alternative mags and i'm supposed to get a magwell together.

extended controls are on the list of things coming "soon". but soon in steyr accessories time means after christmas.

SAI has all the replacement parts you'd ever need in stock so don't be concerned about parts availability.

i'd say try to shoot a steyr and if you like shooting it it's probably the gun for you.

Yes, the Glocks are combat handguns, not for competition.

Yes, the Steyr in .40 S&W is superior to the Glock, as the Steyr was built around the .40 S&W cartridge and later adapted to 9x19mm, where as the Glock was developed around the 9x19mm cartridge and later (poorly) adapted to the .40 S&W....

In defense of the Baby Eagle (I.E. Jericho 941, UZI Pistol, or EAA Witness), they do have polymer versions for those who do not want the extra weight associated with the steel frame.

They are tack drivers, have safety decockers, offer second strike capability, and if quality is a concern, you should know they are the official sidearm of the Israeli Military.

I must admit, I am more accurate with my Baby Eagles than any of my other pistols.

But that is me, and everyone should use what THEY are most comfortable with.

So, I guess ya really just need to find a way to try them all.

Good Luck!

A Government big enough to give you everything you
    want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
    Those who trade liberty for security have neither. You
    have only the rights you are willing to die for. The U.S.
    Constitution (c)1791 all Rights Reserved. An armed man
    is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject. Free men do
    not ask permission to bear arms. Colt: the original point
    and click interface. What part of "shall not be infringed"
    do you not understand? We The People reserve RTKBA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast