Quantcast
Steyr Mauser 98K
Steyr Club - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Offline Premium Member STE_SUPPORTER.png
    Senior Steyroid

Default Steyr Mauser 98K

Some time back Netfotoj pointed us to some Mauser 98K rifles being sold by Mitchell's Mausers that were made by Steyr. The Mauser 98K was made by many manufacturers and the gun has quite a hobby behind it. A year or so back I bought on of the collector grade Mitchell's Mausers (not the SS one) and while the gun was pretty it was all polished and blinged out, and Mitchell's in infamous for unscrupulous business practices including fake stamps and vague descriptions to cover up their deceptions. I ended up selling that Mauser, amazingly enough breaking even, with the vow to own a Mauser that has not been altered in such a manner.

Last month, with buying a Moisin Nagain 91/30 Tula hex I was again bitten by the milsurp bug and decided to acquire a Mauser 98K to start building an adversary set. The set would include the Moisin Nagant, Mauser 98K, Enfield (Savage) No.4 MkI (on layaway), Garrand (one is being picked for me by a friend in the biz), and Arisaka (has to have the mum), and a Caracano. That would cover the major combatants of WWII pretty well. Last week I found the Mauser.

It turned out to be a Russian capture with mismatched barrel/receiver (bcd 1941 at Gustloff-Werke, Weimar) and trigger guard, with stock heavily coated with Russian red shellac chipping off like the gun has leprosy. The bore is in great condition, and for this one I decided to do a more drastic refinish on the stock. I also decided to acquire a second 98K and leave it unaltered except to remove the Russian red shellac goop (easily done with deantured alcohol, something I wish I would have known with he first one) replacing it with a tung oil finish, resulting in a very original look.

As luck would have it, of the three Russian capture 98K that the shop had, the one left acquired as my second 98K has barrel/receiver marked "bnz" which indicates that the rifle was manufactured by Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG, in this case, in 1941. Sadly, these guns were made by slave labor, but since many of the rifles were headed to the SS they had special inspection teams to detect sabotage and insure quality. Truly sad, but Steyr manufactured many thousands 98K, and mine is one of them.

Here is a first photo of the stock prior to re-assembly, which should happen this evening. There has been no sanding of the stock or attempts to fix dings. As with all of my adversary group rifles, the goal is to have an unaltered rifle cleaned up, preserved, showing the years of use by desperate men in desparate moments. The sight hood and cleaning rod, wich are always missing from Russian capture guns, have been replaced. Once the gun is back together another photo will follow.

Last edited by Buzz; 04-07-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Default Re: Steyr Mauser 98K

I too have been wanting a K98 by Steyr. Really just a K98 but I got the M9A1 instead. I own 2 M1 carbines and a ton of American WW2 stuff. I have a 1903 and a WWI uniform as well. My dad was a WWII vet and my ma is from Austria. Looking forward to the pic's ....Looks like its a hardwood stock and not laminated ...so thats probably correct for a 1941...Good luck ..

Senior Steyroid

Quote Originally Posted by mikakeke View Post
    I too have been wanting a K98 by Steyr. Really just a K98 but I got the M9A1 instead. I own 2 M1 carbines and a ton of American WW2 stuff. I have a 1903 and a WWI uniform as well. My dad was a WWII vet and my ma is from Austria. Looking forward to the pic's ....Looks like its a hardwood stock and not laminated ...so thats probably correct for a 1941...Good luck ..
    Yup, the stock is solid wood. I'm not sure if the butt plate is correct for 1941. No matter, the important part for me is the receiver/barrel and that is Steyr.

Tonight I put my bcd back together as the finish has now dried.

Today I was a bad boy. I stopped off to buy some ammo and found a 1965 Ishapore Enfield (.308). It followed me home ;-) Photos to follow. The wood and bore are very nice but they put so much black paint storage goop on it. Getting that off will be a project.

Lacquer thinner works great. Then I use greased lightning or fantastic followed by a clean damp cloth. Then an iron on heavy steam for the dents. let dry a few days and stain and oil. I bought a M1 carbine Underwood 1943 years ago for $99 it was a Korean import with a ugly, black, dented, swollen, pot belly stock. I cleaned it with laquer thinner but it had this gooey wood and oil coating that I could scrape off with my finger nail about an 1/8 inch thick. I soaked and scrubbed it in the bath tub with hot water and dawn dish washing detergent for about 4 - 6 hours I then proceeded to use a plastic kitchen scrunchy(steel wool looking thing) and scraped all the remaining gunk off and below was a beautiful pot belly stock..... not WWII but a nice example of a post war M2 stock ....of course the cartouches and such were already gone. I then let it dry for about a week. I stained it walnut and used linseed oil over a 4-5 day period one coat at a time followed by 00 steel wool. I have 2 other WWII stocks for my 2 carbines that are untouched with all the cartouches. I hadn't done this stuff for a while and thats what got me hankering for a K98....Really want a Garand but at less than half price a K98 is in my near future.
    Last edited by mikakeke; 04-13-2009 at 01:53 PM.

Senior Steyroid

The Mausers turned out just as I had hoped. The Steyr, the lower one in the photo, really makes me happy as the stock is as original but with the scars of battle and a nice coat of tung oil. The Gestloff actually looks good, even with the polyurethane. The finish is more refined, and not authentic, but it still shows its battle scars, if a bit more muted. A new cleaning rod and sight hood just went on at lunch. Two sets of captive screws (they are screws that lock in the main screws) for the trigger guard are on order.

A third Mauser is planned. I will go with another Russian capture. These guns saw a lot of action, and that is an important aspect of it all to me.

They look good....you need a laminate now ..well 2 of them one with red glue and one with white glue. Have you shot them yet? How's the kick?
    Last edited by mikakeke; 04-13-2009 at 02:02 PM.

Senior Steyroid

They look good....you need a laminate now ..well 2 of them one with red glue and one with white glue. Have you shot them yet? How's the kick?
    Thanks. The bnz Steyr is definitely my favorite, so far.

My understanding is that the solid wood stocks were earlier production (far less common, about 25%) with the laminated stock coming along once things began to get short. I definitely want a laminate stock as well. Possibly I can find another 1941 with a laminate stock as the Russian captures are pretty much mix and match. A Mauser byf would be nice as would a J.P. Saur & Sohn. I also want a cupped butt plate on the next one.

I haven't shot eighter gun yet. I did shoot a Mauser years ago and I recall it being pleasant, but can't recall much more than that.

I studied up on the Mauser quite a bit. You wanting the CE code or the 147? Our local range has a bunch of K98's at $319 includes original sling and ammo pouch which is not correct...I just haven't pulled the trigger yet to get one. None are peened. They have a 42 CE code,an AX, several BCD's, a couple 42's most are laminate and several have visable Waffenstampt's on the stock. I bought a bayo for one from MARSTAR but it had a broken point so I sent it back. Marstar also has original ammo pouches is sad condition and some really nice repro ones. If you haven't found this site yet it is loaded with info...

http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/indexen.html

Senior Steyroid

I studied up on the Mauser quite a bit. You wanting the CE code or the 147? Our local range has a bunch of K98's at $319 includes original sling and ammo pouch which is not correct...I just haven't pulled the trigger yet to get one. None are peened. They have a 42 CE code,an AX, several BCD's, a couple 42's most are laminate and several have visable Waffenstampt's on the stock. I bought a bayo for one from MARSTAR but it had a broken point so I sent it back. Marstar also has original ammo pouches is sad condition and some really nice repro ones. If you haven't found this site yet it is loaded with info...

http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/indexen.html
    That is the main site that I have gone to. I have a printout of the factory codes from there in my car! I think overall I may be less concerned about factory and more concerned about condition. I think I'd like to stay with earlier war guns not past 42 or 43. Another 41 would be nice. I have ended up with an extra sight hood and cleaning rod, so now I have to buy another rifle. I've been lucky as neither of my guns are peened with nice crisp eagles. I won't buy a peened gun, that is my major disqualifier.

I carry the same thing around with me. The CE's don't have many stamps and they are small. The CE at the local dealer is a 41. I thought AX would be cool too. I am the same way codes not as important as condition. Some of them the metal is pretty hammered up. Bore condition is pretty important to me as well. I don't want a gun to just look at. I shoot everything I own except the PPK my Dad brought back from WWII(.32 ACP) 99% with capture papers. It gets looked at and cleaned ...just a bit worried abought cracking the bakelite grips. I would really like to find a RC K98 without the electric pencilling as I have found not all of the RC's have it. I even talked to one of the US distributors and all codes and quantities are still available to the distrubutors only. This thread may make me go and buy one now. J&G sales still has a ton as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast