Quantcast
Downsizing 'Baddest Tactical Pistols' to carry size
Steyr Club - Powered by vBulletin

Default Downsizing 'Baddest Tactical Pistols' to carry size

I got on a full-size "Tactical" pistol binge in late 2007 and bought the following handguns in reverse order:
    Baddest Tactical Pistol No. 6: Glock 20 10mm
    Baddest Tactical Pistol No. 5: S&W M&P 357
    Baddest Tactical Pistol No. 4: Steyr M9-A1
    Baddest Tactical Pistol (Revolver) No. 3: S&W 21-4 .44 Special
    Baddest Tactical Pistol No 2: CZ75 SP01 Custom 9mm
    Baddest Tactical Pistol No. 1, Llama IX-C .45 ACP

Since I started work as a gun shop salesman in January, I've gone in the other direction, buying a S&W M&P Compact .357 Sig and a Charter Arms .327 Fed. Magnum snubnose revolver.

And now I've decided to take it a step further and divest myself of some of my full-size pistols and downsize for carry weapons.

The Sig Sauer P226 .357 Sig (already sold), FEG GKK-45 Browning Hi-Power Clone .45 ACP DA/SA and CZ 75 SP01 Custom 9mm are up on the block and are now listed on Gunbroker. Though I love these pistols, they're not very concealable and are all heavy so are not good carry candidates.

I'm thinking about replacing the Sig Sauer P226 with 4.4" barrel with a Sig P229 with a 3.9" barrel. Sig Sauer has a Sig Anti-Snag (SAS) carry model of the 229, which I want in .357 Sig with night sights and the Short-Reset Trigger. A set of those nice wood grips shown would be good, too.

And I'm thinking about a new 2009 model of Para Ordnance as the replacement for the CZ SP01 Custom. Para has a .45 ACP model called the Carry 12 which is a subcompact with 3.5" barrel and Para's Light Double Action trigger. The LDA trigger is IMHO the biggest improvement made to date to John Moses Browning's famed 1911 single-action .45 ACP pistol design.

But then there's also that S&W NightGuard model in 10mm. Six rounds of 10mm in a lightweight carry revolver sounds mighty attractive. And Smith has also brought back the incomparable classic Model 24 with a 3" barrel in .44 Special. So many choices and so little money to buy with.

But gotta sell what I got before I can buy something smaller, so I must learn to be patient.

Last edited by Netfotoj; 04-19-2009 at 06:13 AM.
    “Peace on earth to all men of good will. All others stand by.”
    Internet Photojournalist site | God, Guns & Grits blog | Crossland Shootout novel

Default Re: Downsizing 'Baddest Tactical Pistols' to carry size

Thanks for the heads up!

Let me know when the G20 is gonna be up for sale...

-Rick

1/20/2013...

Very minty looking

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
    Thanks for the heads up!

Let me know when the G20 is gonna be up for sale...
    Not so sure the G20 will ever be leaving. It's now my nightstand gun with a +2 mag extension with 17 rds. of 10mm plus a rail light. Should handle a mass zombie attack with ease.

And I've got a 9x25 Lone Wolf barrel for it, too, which is an added dimension. It's also sorta big brother for my customized G29, so it's very likely going to survive the downsizing. At this point, I'm thinking the CZ SP01, Sig P226 and FEG GKK-45 are the too-big-to-carry candidates that will go.

My other full-size pistol is my Llama IX-C and it's my car gun, plus I probably shoot it better than any of my pistols, so it's a definite keeper, too. Plus I just got a new pair of 15-rd. mags for it, so it will stay put.

And of course, there's my S&W 29, which some would say is too big and heavy to carry, but I love shooting it so much I could never let it go. Besides, it gets a big brother when my Marlin 1894 lever gun comes home.
    Internet Photojournalist site | God, Guns & Grits blog | Crossland Shootout novel

Right on...I guess just let me know if you go crazy and decide to change your mind lol I didn't think getting rid of a G20 sounded like something you'd do...
    -Rick

1/20/2013...

If the SP01 were just a 40, I'd be so up for that one when you get rid of, excuse me, sell it.
    NRA Member
    USPSA Member
    CZ 75B SA - .40
    M40-A1
    S&W 627 - .357
    vz58 - 7.62x39
    Sako Forester - .308

Calibers: .40 S&W, 7.62x39, .308, 7.5 Swiss

Lifetime Member Libertarian Party - 1975

Folks, I don't care which, NRA, SAF, Libertarian Party, Constitutional Party, whatever - GET INVOLVED NOW! We might not get a second chance if we blow the next election.

"Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others." William Allen White

One down, two to go. The Sig P226 just sold to a gentleman up the road in Virginia. The CZ SP01 and FEG GKK-45 are still on the gunbroker sale block.

Here's my soon-to-be-gone FEG GKK-45, a Browning Hi-Power clone in .45 ACP made in Hungary and imported by KBI of Harrisburg, Pa./Charles Daly.

And with the funds from the sale of the P226, I can get my new Marlin 1984 .44 Magnum/.44 Special lever gun out of hock at the gun shop.

I feel a .44 Magnum/.44 Special range report coming on next weekend. Life is good!

Looking 4ward to that range report, Netfoto!
    A Government big enough to give you everything you
    want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
    Those who trade liberty for security have neither. You
    have only the rights you are willing to die for. The U.S.
    Constitution (c)1791 all Rights Reserved. An armed man
    is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject. Free men do
    not ask permission to bear arms. Colt: the original point
    and click interface. What part of "shall not be infringed"
    do you not understand? We The People reserve RTKBA

(See all photos here)
    Went to the range again today and shot the shortest gun I have, Charter .327 Federal Magnum 2.5" snubby revolver, and the longest gun I have, Marlin 1984SS .44 Magnum lever-action rifle.

Top photo is the Charter with its new Crimson Trace Lasergrips. First handgun I've owned with CT Lasergrips, and I like it. I see more in my future. The Charter is vastly improved since I had to apply Kentucky elevation for its fixed sights, which aimed about 4" high from the point of impact of most loads. Now I can put the red dot where I want to hit and let 'er fly.

It's also an improvement because my 61-year-old eyes have a hard time seeing short snubby sights in the first place, so now I can forget about the sights and keep my eyes on the target. I'm a bit fuzzy up close without glasses, but I can see crystal clear once I get beyond the length of my arms. So my pistol shooting will improve with the Lasergrips.

First I zeroed it with American Eagle JSP 100-grain loads, then had to zero it again with my carry loads, Speer Gold Dot JHP 110-grain loads. The second photo is the results of my zero work, sitting at bench rest at 21 feet, a reasonable distance for shooting a snubnose revolver.

Third photo is a closeup of the CT Lasergrips beaming brightly from my Charter Patriot .327.

I gotta say it's a real handful sitting at a bench rest. It's a totally different experience than standing offhand with a two-hand grip and sitting down you really appreciate what a nasty round the 327 Federal Magnum really is. I don't wanna get shot with nothing, .22 included, but I'd really hate to get hit with 110-grains of .327 sizzling at 1400 fps. That's .357 Sig speed, one of my favorite auto pistol rounds. And I read an article this week that FBI-standard gelatin tests are showing 13-14" of penetration and very impressive expansion with either .327 Fed. Mag. load.

I do believe a S&W 632 Carry Comp Pro Series is waiting out there for me in my near future.

When I got the Charter suitably zeroed for carry, I moved on to my new Marlin 1894SS Stainless Steel .44 Magnum lever-action rifle. I brought my sight-tapper to the range and a couple of boxes of .44s, .44 Magnum and .44 Special, both 240-grain. The rifle and ammo is the next photo, followed by a small redman 11x17" target at 20 yards.

The first couple of holes in the redman were shot at 50 yards which confirmed what I found the first time I shot the Marlin, off to the right. So I decided to take the work out of it and move the target in to 20 yards to finish the zero. One little love tap on the dovetailed sight is all it took.

I love this Marlin rifle. It's a tangent from my current plans for carry pistols, but a very nice one.
    Last edited by Netfotoj; 04-18-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Excellent shootin, Netfoto!

Quote Originally Posted by Netfotoj View Post
    I gotta say it's a real handful sitting at a bench rest. It's a totally different experience than standing offhand with a two-hand grip and sitting down you really appreciate what a nasty round the 327 Federal Magnum really is. I don't wanna get shot with nothing, .22 included, but I'd really hate to get hit with 110-grains of .327 sizzling at 1400 fps. That's .357 Sig speed, one of my favorite auto pistol rounds.
    How about 350 grains at 1600+ FPS?

I Love my Desert Eagle .50AE!

A Government big enough to give you everything you
    want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
    Those who trade liberty for security have neither. You
    have only the rights you are willing to die for. The U.S.
    Constitution (c)1791 all Rights Reserved. An armed man
    is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject. Free men do
    not ask permission to bear arms. Colt: the original point
    and click interface. What part of "shall not be infringed"
    do you not understand? We The People reserve RTKBA