Steyr M1905 / Roth-Steyr and Steyr 1916
Steyr Club - Powered by vBulletin

Default Steyr M1905 / Roth-Steyr and Steyr 1916 (Pics Added)

I just acquired several early auto loader pistols. Can anyone give me information on where i could find any kind of manual or detailed information?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#1SystemMann.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#2SystemMann.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#13Steyr.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#14Steyr.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#16WaffenfabrikSteyr.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	260  

Last edited by zahoward; 03-02-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Pics Added

Default Re: Steyr M1905 / Roth-Steyr and Steyr 1916

I'd suggest you try to find a book that covers the early auto pistols. Finding actual manuals is probably like looking for a black cat in a coal mine that may not even be there. The genius of Ferdinand Mannlicher's early auto pistol and rifle designs is not widely known and appreciated here in the states, but he is well known in Europe so I would think some European books will be available.

See Ferdinand Mannlicher: Austria's John M. Browning.

And you might try contacting someone at the Steyr-Mannlicher Austrian site.

Steyrclub member Buzz has one or more of those early Steyr-Mannlicher pistols and might be able to point you to a resource. Send him a PM.

“Peace on earth to all men of good will. All others stand by.”
    Internet Photojournalist site | God, Guns & Grits blog | Crossland Shootout novel

Thank you.
    Last edited by zahoward; 03-03-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Offline Premium Member STE_SUPPORTER.png
    Senior Steyroid

PM returned! Yes, I do have two of the Steyr Hahns, a 1911 Chilean Contract, and a 1913 Romanian Contract, one that was aesthetically a basket case, but outstanding internally, that I had refinished.

The links that I sent you should help you making sure that you have the right caliber ammo, which is usually 9mm Steyr and sometimes, more rarely, 9mm Luger. Depending on the condition of your gun (photos?) you might consider having a gunsmith look it over before shooting it. Overall, these guns usually have held up well over the past century and are sweet shooters. Get some stripper clips to aid in reloading the gun which is accomplished from the top and not via a magazine.

emailed 2 addresses i found for Steyr, on in the US and one in Austria. both said the company had changed hands a few times and they had no documentation , manuals, etc.

still looking for field stripping directions for the Roth 1907 and 1905 model. and ammo for the 1905 model.

if anyone has that info it would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    PM returned! Yes, I do have two of the Steyr Hahns, a 1911 Chilean Contract, and a 1913 Romanian Contract, one that was aesthetically a basket case, but outstanding internally, that I had refinished.

The links that I sent you should help you making sure that you have the right caliber ammo, which is usually 9mm Steyr and sometimes, more rarely, 9mm Luger. Depending on the condition of your gun (photos?) you might consider having a gunsmith look it over before shooting it. Overall, these guns usually have held up well over the past century and are sweet shooters. Get some stripper clips to aid in reloading the gun which is accomplished from the top and not via a magazine.