Budget 1911 .45 pistol
Steyr Club - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Budget 1911 .45 pistol

The June 2008 issue of Gun World magazine reviews a 1911 .45 ACP for “less than $350” available in either 5” or 4 ¼” barrels. The pistols are manufactured by Shootings Arms Manufacturing in Quezon City in the Philippines and imported by Century Arms International of Daytona Beach, Florida. The SAM pistols come in two models: Military version, a standard Government-issue 1911; and for $20 extra, the Elite 1911, with a beavertail grip safety and an enlarged, relieved ejection port. Both models are available in full-size 5" barrel or Commodore 4 1/4" barrel for the same price.
    Elite 1911 Commodore Blue .45 SAM 4 1/4" BBL Pistol

Gun World reviewer Mike Beliveau tested the full-size SAM Elite 1911 and says “it’s a solid gun that does what it’s supposed to do and it does it at a price point that almost anybody can handle. There’s always talk that the Filipino 1911s have soft frames, but SAM claims to cast them from 4140 steel, which is pretty much what everyone does these days… The barrels and slides are milled from forged 4140 steel billets. That’s all as it should be and with about 1,000 rounds through my specimen, I haven’t seen any frame battering or cracking.”

He said the flat-topped slide is “moderately polished and finished in the modern hot blue process to the usual deep black color… In contrast to the slide, the frame has a true matte-black finish and adding to the Heart of Darkness effect, the grips SAM provides are thin slabs of black plastic.”

One magazine comes with the pistol, but standard 1911 7-round or 8-round magazines work “with very excellent results,” he adds.

“The trigger pull measures 6 pounds and it has a slight bit of creep,” he said. His bench-rest testing yielded 2-inch groups at 25 yards. “With a better trigger the SAM should be capable of better groups from the bench.”

At that price, what’s not to like? :mrgreen:

J&G Sales has the Shooters Arms full-size Military model 1911 for $350.

“Peace on earth to all men of good will. All others stand by.”
    Internet Photojournalist site | God, Guns & Grits blog | Crossland Shootout novel

Offline Premium Member STE_SUPPORTER.png
    Steyr Club Aficionado

Default Re: Budget 1911 .45 pistol

If it works its a winner

Quote Originally Posted by SELFDEFENSE
    If it works its a winner
    It is more nicely finished than a Norinco 1911........which are no longer imported. I handled a 1911 import from the Philippines some years back......the fit, finish, and machining were as good as on any high end 1911. Don't know about internal parts, quality of metal, heat treatment etc.

Centry Arms is in Delray Beach, FL not Daytona Beach.
    I am from Daytona.
    Richard
    GB 9mm M9-A1 M40-A1 M357
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship."
    Alexander Fraser Tytler

Ohhhhhh myyyyyyyyyy goodnessssssssss......

I've been strongly considering purchasing a 1911 Govt. type 45ACP for some time now (it is the pistol that I "cut my teeth on" when I was a brand-spanking-newly commissioned Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Army so many years ago; just prior to all units being issued the then new 92F Beretta).

Hmmmm.... this price and this quality, seems exceptionally difficult to pass up.

Dag-gummit Netfotoj, you might have just created the path that leads me to be in the "dog house" with my missus. I somewhat recently promised her: "No more firearm purchases."

..... .....

Steyr Club Aficionado

Quote Originally Posted by Garys4598
    Dag-gummit Netfotoj, you might have just created the path that leads me to be in the "dog house" with my missus. I somewhat recently promised her: "No more firearm purchases."

..... .....
    Uhhhhh...

...that sounds....

RE-TAR-DED !!!!

:doh: :doh: :doh:
    A Government big enough to give you everything you
    want, is strong enough to take everything you have.
    Those who trade liberty for security have neither. You
    have only the rights you are willing to die for. The U.S.
    Constitution (c)1791 all Rights Reserved. An armed man
    is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject. Free men do
    not ask permission to bear arms. Colt: the original point
    and click interface. What part of "shall not be infringed"
    do you not understand? We The People reserve RTKBA

Quote Originally Posted by Garys4598
    Ohhhhhh myyyyyyyyyy goodnessssssssss......

I've been strongly considering purchasing a 1911 Govt. type 45ACP for some time now (it is the pistol that I "cut my teeth on" when I was a brand-spanking-newly commissioned Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Army so many years ago; just prior to all units being issued the then new 92F Beretta).

Hmmmm.... this price and this quality, seems exceptionally difficult to pass up.

..... .....
    There's a lesson for life, don't make no such outlandish promises. My wife keep asking me, "Don't you have enough pistols now?" And I probably do, for any normal person. But I don't wanna be normal, I want to continue being a gun nut. :mrgreen:

P.S. In case you missed it in my original post, you did see the link to J&G Sales, didn't you? They have the full-size military version in stock for $350 and they had the Elite Commander size listed earlier for the same price.
    “Peace on earth to all men of good will. All others stand by.”
    Internet Photojournalist site | God, Guns & Grits blog | Crossland Shootout novel

Quote Originally Posted by Netfotoj
    There's a lesson for life, don't make no such outlandish promises. My wife keep asking me, "Don't you have enough pistols now?" And I probably do, for any normal person. But I don't wanna be normal, I want to continue being a gun nut. :mrgreen:

P.S. In case you missed it in my original post, you did see the link to J&G Sales, didn't you? They have the full-size military version in stock for $350 and they had the Elite Commander size listed earlier for the same price.

Just ask her, do you hunny have enough shoes or purses :?:
    Tell us her answer :wink:

Check out this company. I had not heard of them before last week when a co-worker talked about them.
    Tanfoglio
    Richard
    GB 9mm M9-A1 M40-A1 M357
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship."
    Alexander Fraser Tytler

Quote Originally Posted by Soverign
    Just ask her, do you hunny have enough shoes or purses :?:
    Tell us her answer :wink:

Check out this company. I had not heard of them before last week when a co-worker talked about them.
    Tanfoglio
    Dude, my wife is nothing like that; she is not into shoes and purses and that sort of bologna. She's very "practical"... (perhaps too practical for her own good :mrgreen.

But anyway...

After delving into some long ago previously conducted research cocerning 1911s.... my thoughts as of today are that I would likely go with a mid-level Springfield Armory model. My current frame of mind is.... you pretty much get what you pay for with Springfield Armory (without having to give-up a kidney or some other internal organ), and it's all good. :wink:

Steyr Club Aficionado

"I somewhat recently promised her: "No more firearm purchases."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We won't tell if you don't tell. :shh:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast