Quantcast
Barrel swap question (M40A1)
Steyr Club - Powered by vBulletin

Default Barrel swap question (M40A1)

I thought I read here that you can swap out the .40 S&W barrel on a M40A1 with a .357SIG barrel(made by Steyr). Is this true or have I been dreaming again?

Default Re: Barrel swap question (M40A1)

Not dreaming, you can swap out the barrels of a M40-A1 with a M357-A1 barrel. There is also no reason in buying any magazines for the 357 Sig as the M40-A1 and M357-A1 use the same magazine but marked differently to match the slide, even though the slide is the same also just mark accordingly to what you bought.

Can the 357 parts be ordered?

If by parts you mean barrel, they are out there but harder to find by the second. I would guess Steyr will have some converson kits on their next import along with the S-M1. Yes, they are out there but if i was guessing once again they are fetching a hefty price for a converson barrel.

IGB, http://www.impulsegunbarrels.com./ is the only source of Steyr 357 Sig barrels I've heard of since I've been reading this forum.

Email igbinfo@chello.at

Some here have reported good service and products, others not so good to terrible. Buyer beware, but I don't know of any alternative.
    “Peace on earth to all men of good will. All others stand by.”
    Internet Photojournalist site | God, Guns & Grits blog | Crossland Shootout novel

Quote Originally Posted by Netfotoj
    IGB, http://www.impulsegunbarrels.com./ is the only source of Steyr 357 Sig barrels I've heard of since I've been reading this forum.

Email igbinfo@chello.at

Some here have reported good service and products, others not so good to terrible. Buyer beware, but I don't know of any alternative.

Wouldn't SAI have some?

Almost certainly not, but it doesn't cost anything to pick up the phone and ask... :wink: Be careful with IGB - a few of our forum members have had problems with barrels that were not fitting properly and have horror storries about having to send them back multiple times for months at a time... And then there are others who had no issues at all...
    My Steyr M9A1 Evolution: v1.0, v2.0, v2.5, v3.0
    Project MSAR STG-556:v1.0
    Caracal Reviews: F and C

Hey All!

50/50 is not exactly good odds, and that is what I'm at w/ IGB right now. One barrel was perfect and one was less than perfect! :shock: IGB is resolving the issue(rather slowly!) by sending me a replacement. We shall see.

Last I spoke w/ SAI 357sig barrels could be ordered, but are a little pricey! Steyr 357sig barrel part# 3900010670 $286.65 One thing is for sure, You are far less likely to have issues w/ Steyr replacement barrels. :evil:
    _______
    mugdava

Quote Originally Posted by Shellshock1918
    I thought I read here that you can swap out the .40 S&W barrel on a M40A1 with a .357SIG barrel(made by Steyr). Is this true or have I been dreaming again?
    Or from 40 to 9?

Richard
    GB
    M40A1
    Richard
    GB 9mm M9-A1 M40-A1 M357
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship."
    Alexander Fraser Tytler

Quote Originally Posted by Soverign
    Quote Originally Posted by Shellshock1918
    Or from 40 to 9?

Richard
    GB
    M40A1
    Only way to go from .40 to 9 is with a replacement slide and barrel. Frame is the same for 9 and .40/.357, but slide is different as well as barrel. So from 9 to .40 or vice versa, you need a new slide and barrel. From .40 to .357, all you need is .357 barrel or vice versa.

A few replacement slide/barrel combos surfaced a while back in both 9 and .40 at CDNN but sold out quicker than cold beer at a stand in the middle of the Sahara Desert.

(But why anyone with a .357 or a 9 would want to convert to .40 is beyond me. Ammo is cheaper than .357, but recoil is worse than either. I just don't like .40 a'tall.) :mrgreen:

“Peace on earth to all men of good will. All others stand by.”
    Internet Photojournalist site | God, Guns & Grits blog | Crossland Shootout novel