Benelli B76
Steyr Club - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benelli B76

Offline Premium Member STE_SUPPORTER.png
    Senior Steyroid

Default Benelli B76

Does anyone have any experience with the Benelli B76 (9mm)? I just bought the one shown below (LNIB) based upon knowing that it is fairly rare and having only heard good things about it in the past, but not a lot.

Buzz

Default Re: Benelli B76

I've never actually seen one of these personally...only in gun books and such. Is yours a 9mmx19? That is the most common caliber. I remember about three years ago in Shotgun News a dealer was advertising small quantities of these pistols in 9mm ULTRA (Police.) I wish I would have gotten one...those were made to order in very limited number. (If I knew then...) That's awesome that you have that...I love unusual handguns. Sorry I couldn't be any real help. I can only tell you what little I have read in my gun reference books. Nice pistol, man :notworthy: -'staub

Senior Steyroid

It's 9mm Luger. There was just one for sale in 9x18 Ultra. I have a Walther PP Super in 9mm Ultra. The ammo is hard to get and often goes for around $30 a box.

The Benelli is an odd gun to say the least. I hope to shoot it next weekend.

Buzz

Usually I try to know about pistols with unusual locking systems. This one's hard to figure out for some reason, but it is neat. I'm a little jealous...bet it shoots like balls-afire. I think the 9mmUltra was just a blowback, being that the cartridge is like the 9 Makarov or a very hot .380. But yeah, I think I would rather have the Nine as you have... another Italian pistol I would like to have is the Mateba Autorevolver. That'd be COOL. Benelli makes everything (nice shotguns.) My friend in Germany has a Benelli motorcycle. You said you have a PP Super?? That pistol would also be nice to have. What kind of shape is it in? -'staub

Senior Steyroid

My PP Super is in around 98% condition, really clean. It's unusual in that it isn't an ex-police gun as many are. None of the police stamps are present. Actually, I like ex-police guns as they are generally carried much and little shot. Other than just a bit of wear my gun looks pretty much new. I also have a second complete slide for it that needs re-finishing. I'm trying to decide what to do with that. I also have a second set of grips. There were two distinct types of black grips used on the gun. I really want a set of the plastic brown grips, but they are very pricey.

From the time that I first saw the PP Supper back in the 70's I've wanted one badly. Finding the right one at the right price was a happy event. Below is a photo. It's basically sized like a PP on steroids.

Buzz

Back in the '70s I was just a little kid!! Didn't do a lot of gun purchasing... That was a great time for handguns... I wish I could have heard the things people in the states said about the VP70, though. I'll bet no one was too impressed with a DAO plastic-framed 9mm!

Your PP Super looks nicer than any others I've seen. Geez, Buzz. I wish I had SOME of the pistols you have in your collection. I think the PP Super is a really neat looking gun. It's like what the Makarov should have looked like if its engineers and manufacturers paid any attention to detail. I also like the CZ 82/83 pistols in that size/class. Those are still incredibly in production and CHEAP.

The B76 you have is tight (as the kids say.)

I have a Benelli in the 9mm Ultra caliber. Southern Ohio Guns used to sell the ammo so I bought a big batch. Great pistol-best double action trigger I've seen. It is a bit awkward to strip. It took me a long time to fiqure how the lockup worked until I ran a pencil down the barrel and realized the gun was normally unlocked, and only locked up when fired. Backwards of most locked-breech autos. Yeah, the pistol is big and heavy for the 9mm Ultra, but the result is a very pleasant pistol to shoot.

I also have a Mateba .357 Magnum. Almost too pretty to shoot.

Anybody have a source for GB magazines?

If I had a B76 in 9Ultra, I'd take up reloading...it'd be worth it. That Mateba looks like a cool revolver. I've never actually seen one with my own eyes, but I read an article in Combat Handguns about it. Those GB mags aren't that easy to come by and always expensive. I saw a guy at a gun show recently who had a GB in almost excellent condition with 5 or 6 magazines. He wanted like $950 for all of it due to the value of the mags. I think they go for about 125 to 140 a pop. I'm sure you can find some somewhere in Shotgun News or on the web. If I see something online or whatever I'll let you know ASAP. How does your GB shoot? I've heard that some of them had spotty reliability. If I found a good GB I think that I'd have it refinished by Robar in NP3...I don't care about degrading the collector value. I think a GB would look sweet like that with a little black contrast (like the plastic trigger-guard) against a dull nickel finish.

My GB works great. I just bought the gun this past week, and I've only fired a box of shells through it, I've yet to see the first malfunction. I found this one on GunsAmerica for $605 in the orinal box with one magazine. Shame the gun didn't sell better-probably price resistance.

I've owned Benellis in 9mm Para, 9mm Ultra and .30 Luger. The gun is obviously built around the 9mm Para, but the 9mm Ultra also uses that odd little toggle at the rear of the frame to unlock the action. All of the guns fired with outstanding accuracy. They're not very practical from a military point of view because of the complicated takedown, but they're great for police and civilians. It's just a marvelous design, if you like that kind of thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast