Quantcast
Steyr M9-A1 vs. Glock 17.
Steyr Club - Powered by vBulletin

Default Steyr M9-A1 vs. Glock 17.

Just picked up my first Steyr M9-A1 and a new Glock 17. I figured a range test comparison would be a good idea. This weekend I'll be hitting the range with both pistols. I'll put 100 rounds of Winchester white box through both pistols. Will compare the following:

1. Accuracy (standing unsupported and seated using bench rest)
    2. Reliability (any FTF, FTE, etc.)

The distance I will conduct the test at will be 15 yards. I will try to post some pics of my results. Now I will see for myself which of the Austrian made handguns really is the best.

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin

I'm looking forward to your test results! But, please don't hesitate to add your "subjective" observations as well: sights, handling, grip angle, trigger pull, etc. Those things matter a whole lot more to me than a 1/2" difference in grouping at 15 yards!

I'm not a Glock owner (I never cared for the ergonomics) but I admit that they're reliable beasts. If Glock ever made one that didn't handle like a two-by-four for me, I'd even think about buying one.

Default Re: Steyr M9-A1 vs. Glock 17.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin67
    Just picked up my first Steyr M9-A1 and a new Glock 17. I figured a range test comparison would be a good idea. This weekend I'll be hitting the range with both pistols. I'll put 100 rounds of Winchester white box through both pistols. Will compare the following:

1. Accuracy (standing unsupported and seated using bench rest)
    2. Reliability (any FTF, FTE, etc.)

The distance I will conduct the test at will be 15 yards. I will try to post some pics of my results. Now I will see for myself which of the Austrian made handguns really is the best.

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin
    I have both.They are both great guns.If your Steyr does not have a FTE problem,then I think you will like the Steyr more. It is a fine hand gun,and I have not found a gun that shoots better. I love my Glocks,but I ADORE my M9.Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey
    I'm looking forward to your test results! But, please don't hesitate to add your "subjective" observations as well: sights, handling, grip angle, trigger pull, etc. Those things matter a whole lot more to me than a 1/2" difference in grouping at 15 yards!

I'm not a Glock owner (I never cared for the ergonomics) but I admit that they're reliable beasts. If Glock ever made one that didn't handle like a two-by-four for me, I'd even think about buying one.
    Agreed. I had heard great things about Glocks since I heard the name. Handling one is a different story. The Steyr fits so much better, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Fluorescence
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey

Agreed. I had heard great things about Glocks since I heard the name. Handling one is a different story. The Steyr fits so much better, IMO
    I would like to take my Steyr to bed with me, but my wife won't let me.

I would like to take my Steyr to bed with me, but my wife won't let me
    hmm, have ya considered something with a longer barrel...
    avatar displays impact of one WWB .357sig projectile at 25yds on a new steel target

be careful about jumping to conclusions concerning fte and such. the steyrs do need a breakin of around 500 rounds.

also, to maximize reliability, be sure to clean the mags. they are not tennifered. therefore they get treated to a little cosmoline or similar substance before hitting the road to the shelf it may have sat on for a few years. cleaning all the gook out will help it feed reliably.

if you get one fte at round 47, don't assume your's is a dud. shoot it about 500 times. then clean it very well. the next 100 would be where you want to start your test.

these guns wear in, not out. just be sure to give your's a chance to perform its best.

hope it goes well. let us know how everything turns out.

Offline Premium Member STE_SUPPORTER.png
    Steyr Club Aficionado

My Steyr M9 is a bit better than my 17L. I assume your Steyr will be even better against the shorter sight-radiused G17.