Quantcast
When were the new extractors implemented? M9-A1
Steyr Club - Powered by vBulletin

Default When were the new extractors implemented? M9-A1

Hello,

I have a Steyr M9a1 with the date code IOW (Sept. 2010). I have not shot the pistol much but my friend is going to use it for a multi-day handgun course.

Is there any way to tell if my gun has the updated extractor? I would just hate for it to be a problem mid-course.

I am also struggling to find a holster (of course) as I only have a week to find one. Has anyone had success with a yaqui type slide or other universal OWB holster?

Thank you

Default Re: When were the new extractors implemented? M9-A1

Hey guys,

I'd like to know this as well. I just picked up my first Steyr today, S40A1, and really like the feel of it. As my name implies I'm a Walther fan and absolutely love my .40 PPQ. Given how this S40A1 feels, it may soon become my favorite gun (Gotta shoot it first to make that determination). Acording to different postings I've seen on here (clock inside the slide or 3 letter code infront of the ejector port) my gun was made between 2010 and 2012. I hope that means it has the new extractor.

By the way, Sdsg, I bought a Galco Gunleather Paddle Lite holster for the Springfield XD with 3" barrel works just fine. For your M9A1 I would guess you'd need it for the 4" barrel.

Thanks for all the info here on the site, it's an amazing collection!

Not sure on the date but here is a good website that compare both with pics:

http://www.randomgunstuff.com/1/post...or-update.html

Note there is a little bump on the new one.

You can search here on how to modified the old extractor to remedy the FTE using 1911 Plunger Spring.
    I did the modification on the old extractor and so far no FTE with about 200 rds.
    Just make sure you wear a baseball cap when shooting because it will shoot the shell way up there. LOL!!!
    Steyr M9-A1 with PW Arms from Cabellas

Fwiw, my S9-A1 has a Nov 2011 date, and it has as the new extractor. Or at least clearly has the 'bump' on it.

I'm still in break in period, but of a total shot count of 305, I've only had 5 fte's, and they were using 115g bullets. Just make sure your friend has 147g on hand. Let us know how it went.

FYI...My S40-A1 born date is April 2012, and has a smooth exterior striker. From what I have gathered on this site, ejection problems did not occur in the 40 S&W Steyrs. Have yet to shoot mine - just purchased last week - so we will see.

I did follow the advice on this site by greasing the action, slide rails, etc. and really working the slide. Snap Caps cycle fine if slide moved fast enough, but hang-up if I'm slow!

Cheers.

Actually, the .40s had problems too.
    CZ 75B SA - .40
    M40-A1
    S&W 627 - .357
    vz58 - 7.62x39
    Swiss K31 - 7.5x55
    Sako Forrester .308

Any government official who knowingly violates the first ten Amendments to the Constitution, or the 13th Amendment should be sentenced to life in prison, or death, if individuals are killed during the comission of the crime.

Thanks - do you know if the problem was as great as the 9mm? And...since my M40-A1 was made last spring, should the problem have been resolved by then?

Thanks.

Yeah I'm curious to know. I've read one of the forum posts from a while back saying alot of pistols pre Oct 2010 were where most of the extractor problems occured.