What are the best night sights for m9a1?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by bosman777, Aug 3, 2010.

1. bosman777

bosman777 New Member

Hello gents, thinking of getting some night sights for my steyr m9a1, what are the best ones for a good price and quality. What are pt sights like compared to others. peace. links would be nice too.:willynilly: oh and what color combos are good.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. test733

test733 New Member

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

The best night sights are the ones you are actually able to get... PT went under a few months back (good riddance). This pretty much leaves Trijicon and maybe Meprolights. Color options are going to be pretty limited - probably just straight green or amber/green/amber. I personally like contrasting colors (I use blue/green/blue), but some folks don't - that's a call you're going to have to make.

Installation can be problematic, as most standard sight pushers do not work with the Steyr. Be sure that whoever does the install is competent and tooled up for the task... Contact your local Steyr distributor would probably be the cheapest/easiest way to get it done.

4. dodoinurpants

dodoinurpants New Member

Any suggestions or recommendations on someone who can correctly install the Trijicon sights?

5. bosman777

bosman777 New Member

Are you for real dodo, i can put a whole car together with my own two hands, how hard can it be to put nights sights on a pistol, seriously. save yourself some money and do it yourself. peace. I still love your user name lol.

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer New Member

Tooltechgunsights.com will install Trijicon for you. Trijicon is probably the best, and TTGS is their go-to work guy.

I'd be happy to say Good Riddance to P-T, if the fracking numblehunkers hadn't taken my 1911 slide and a set of sights with them. Fracking numblehunkers.

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

I'd be livid! Real sorry to hear that, Ben. :mad:

8. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer New Member

It worked out OK. I lost a std GI slide with itty bitty worthless sights...and from a local smith/acquaintance I acquired a mil spec slide with useable sites and scalloped, extended ejection port for $225. I probably would have spent at around $200 extending and scalloping the eject port, reParkerizing, and buying new sights. (if I had to open the port up).

Oh, and my CC company backcharged about $180 back to me after 3 months of getting cornholed and lied to by PT, which was cool of the CC company, I thought.

But that doesn't change my feelings for PT, the rucking stampletuggers.

9. kartoffel

kartoffel New Member

It's possible to drift sights without a sight pusher. The key is in good preparation and in making a drift punch that fits just right.

1) Strip your gun and apply penetrating oil to the sight dovetails. Use something like Kroil or PB Blaster. Let it soak several hours at least.

2) While you're waiting, it's time to make some punches. Use brass rod stock of a diameter that's just a little smaller than the width of the sight dovetail. Use a flat file or grinder to cut a flat on one side of the rod so that it has a "D" shape when viewed end-on. Later when you use the punch, you will want to put the flat surface down in the dovetail.

3) Degrease the outside of the pistol slide and wrap completely in a layer or two of electric tape, leaving just the sights and dovetails exposed. The tape is cheap insurance to prevent scratching, if you slip.

4) Secure the slide in a LARGE bench vise equipped with non-marring jaws. Brass jaw inserts work... so will thin strips of wood, leather, etc. Make sure the slide is clamped with as much surface area contact is possible, with the sight dovetails just a little higher than the top of the jaws. You want it in there as solid as possible, but you don't want to crush it with insane force. That's why it's crucial to clamp it well using a reasonable, moderate amount of jaw force.

5) Research WHICH WAY your pistols sights are supposed to be drifted on and off. Some guns go left-to-right, some go right-to-left.

6) Orient the vise so that you can drift the sights from the proper direction easily (see step #5)

7) Fit the end of your custom drift punch against the BOTTOM of the side of the sight dovetail. You want the force to be low and parallel to the dovetail.

8) Now... use the biggest hammer that you can control reliably. This is not time for pussyfooting around with a little tack hammer. If you apply multiple light blows, you'll only peen the dovetail and screw it all up. If you're comfortable with a 3 lb drilling hammer, use it. Just don't slip. .... and strike the drift punch SHARPLY and ACCURATELY, making sure tip of the punch is low and square against the side of the sight. As soon as there's room available, make sure the flat of the "D" on your punch is sitting right down in the bottom of the dovetail on the slide... this will help to guide everything.

9) Reassembly is the reverse of the previous steps. Make sure to drift the sight back in from the same side that you drifted it out.

10) If you are fitting a NEW sight, make sure it fits before jamming it in. Many sights are slightly oversize. You may have to take small amount of material off the BOTTOM of the new sight. Use a flat sharpening stone, diamond hone, or large flat file. Go very slowly and make sure you keep the slide level as you stone it. Test fit often. As SOON as it barely begins to fit in the dovetail, that's it -- stop stoning. Clean the dovetail and sight completely to remove grit, oil liberally, and knock the sight in.

xthexheadx likes this.
  10. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

This post deserves to be a STICKY!!! Outstanding How-To for sight adj and new sight mounting.

11. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

nice job.........copied and saved........

12. vkosty

vkosty New Member

I put Trijicon green front, yellow rear on P9-A1 and P40-A1. My accuracy with both improved dramatically. I use a universal sight tool I bought from Brownels, which I've used for a dozen of other pistols. There is nothing to changing sights DIY, just take it easy and with a bit of patience.
    My sight came from Opticsplanet. had to wait about 3 weeks. They do offer good discounts and a free shipping.

13. Il Cattivo

Il Cattivo New Member

Does anyone know offhand if the diamond-shaped sights from Speedsights comes in a glow-in-the-dark version?

14. trainedmnky

trainedmnky New Member

Do the sights fit the same in the ma1 and the m series?

15. trainedmnky

trainedmnky New Member

hey guys, did this thread die already? Does anyone know if the sights are the same? seriously considering putting a set of these on the m40 in the nightstand. If I like them enough i may put them on the other 2.

On another note.... I recently picked up a few of big taco's pieces and fell in love with this gun all over again. my favorite m40 is the one i bought new in 2002, i promise that it has had well over 10,000 rounds run through it in the past 8 years and has always functioned like brand new without being properly cleaned. i never knew how to do anything more than remove the slide and barrel and wipe everything down thoroughly with clp and put it back together. i have never had trigger issues, can only think of 2 or 3 fte's or ftl's over the lifetime of the gun. a few years back i actually used the internet for what the internet is for and started tinkering with my own guns after having a problem with a mini 14 i picked up. I found you guys and eventually decided to play with the steyr to see what it could do. Putting a new recoil spring in it was way overdue i'm sure but i did the whole package with the trigger job, steel guiderod with new spring, and bushings. It has done an amazing job, i thought this gun shot good from the factory, but i had no idea what was possible. I will shortly be upgrading the other 2 as soon as i get a few other rifle related projects out of the way. anyways.. sorry to be so long winded but i guess i got excited. :willynilly:

16. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

We love excitement here!

There was a time when most of us raced home to see the new SteyrClub gun p0rn. Not to mention Syn's racy redhead and rumors of BT's affection for Cougars.

Now it's quieted down a little, some hubbub for the new guns, and the Caracal.

Just keep feeding us excitement!:drool:

17. Glasshuten

Glasshuten New Member

I recently got the Trijicon night sights and had the local gunsmith install them for $20. They're great!

18. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Well this is an old thread and I finally got a set of trijicons. So which way do the steyr sights tap off, L>R or R>L ??

19. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

Doesn't matter if you hit them hard enough. :chair:

20. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

ok, i thought i had read that it was directional ages ago................thanks Syn........