Thoughts to shortened sight lines at pistols

Discussion in 'Ask Bubits' started by Wilhelm Bubits, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Wilhelm Bubits

Wilhelm Bubits Firearms Designer

About two years ago I started to correct my own sight defects - existing farsightedness - on my pistols through optical devices, like red dot systems. In this course I found out that due to the moving of the rear sight in front of the ejection window or in the rear of the ejection window the sight quality - clear view of rear sight - was improved. A further positive effect is the quicker target aquisition. In my experience the shortening of the sight line has nearly no consequence for a quick shot over 15m. There's also no problem at a distance of 25m. It is only important that the width of the chink of light between front and rear sight is very tight, whereby also at a distance of 25m the same hit image can be scored, as this is the case with longer sight lines. At Caracal the models with shortened sight lines are called "Quick See" or in common speech "Quick Sights". Suchlike pistols can be seen on Caracal's homepage. I want to point out that Caracal has a patent for this so-called Quick Sight, however only if the rear sight is placed in front of the ejection window. That means rear sights, which are placed in the rear of the ejection window - close to the impact face - don't concern the patent.

I modified my Steyr S9 and M9, as well as M40, S40, M357 in to the effect that the rear sight is equipped behind the ejection window. Also I made an "own" variant of 1911 with shortened sight line.

If pictures of them are requested, I can show them.

2. test733

test733 New Member

Dear Mr. Bubits,
    The pictures of your guns will be much appreciated by everyone here. Please post them if it is possible. Thank you

3. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

that is very interesting and would be something to see how effective that would be. Having older eyes that might help sighting for us grey hairs.

4. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

Pictures please!!

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

A 1911? This should be interesting... It reminds me of when Wulf put trapezoid sights from a Steyr on his 4" Commander. :cool:

6. Il Cattivo

Il Cattivo New Member

Please do provide the pictures when you get a chance, Mr. Bubits. I'm being premature, but I'm still hoping there's a way to mount both conventional and optical sights on the same pistol. At the same time, I had a moment of revelation a few years ago when I switched from one pistol to the same model with a longer sight radius. Even if marrying an optic to conventional sights is unrealistic, it would be fascinating to compare shooting a pistol with sights just behind the ejection port to shooting pistols with both a conventional arrangement and a set of the Quick See sights.

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Yeah, that was a fun project. ;)

[​IMG]

Not many ppl had the opportunity ta try outta rig like this! It was a blast ta shoot anna real tack drivin' SOB! :D

Now, how bout those pics, Herr Bubits? ... please?

Wulf <-- can't wait ta start a new project!

8. Wilhelm Bubits

These links should be fine now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011
  9. Wilhelm Bubits

Technical advice to my private 1911 wih shortened sight line:

The pistols are not photographed inverted and the pistol also hasn't two extractors, as some might think, on the left side of the slide. The extractor is on the right side of the slide. On the left slide's side I integrated a variable impact face wall, whereby I'm able to shoot 9mm, 40 and 45 bullets without changing the slide.

I equipped the front sight with a fiber glass insert. On the rear sight there are no contrast areas, that means it is black.

10. test733

test733 New Member

Dear Mr. Bubits,
    That is a real masterpiece. Variable impact face wall for multiple calibers is ingenious idea. Thank you for sharing with us.

11. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

I've never seen anything like this done before - is the design your own, or are there others with the same setup? Intriguing, to say the least!

Very nice pistols - thank you for sharing!

12. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I like that variable impact face too. Changing barrels to shoot different callibers..Awesome

13. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Herr Bubits

This is an amazing concept brought to fruition. The ramifications of this information is stunning!

Does this mean that retrofitting previously manufactured products with a "Bubits Conversion Slide" is one of those possibilities?!

I would expect a lot of flack from some of the firearms manufacturers unless they are humbled enough to salute you and put knee-to-turf, at your feet.

This concept leaves my head reeling from all the possibilities...not to mention all the aftermarket attention clamoring about, trying to gain your blessings!

Ich grüße euch, Meinen Master

Wulf <-- totally in awe of Herr Bubits and hoping all his patents are in order

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  14. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

This simply confirms that Herr Bubits must be addressed as Meister Bubits. Once again I urge Delux247 to promote him to the position of Meister Steyroid.

15. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

Total thread hi-jack, but this keeps coming up... The second designation below a user's name is a product of post count; the only way to bump Mr. Bubits out of "Junior Steyroid" status would be to artificially inflate his post count, and I'm afraid that might mislead new users, or have people chasing threads that do not exist. We changed his custom user title to Firearms Designer, because the forum software allows us to do so, but beyond that, we cannot simply change "Junior Steyroid". :(

16. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Sorry about the hijack. I understand.

17. Il Cattivo

Il Cattivo New Member

I dunno, Wulf, between the European hunting market and the rise in popularity of the AR here, I'd bet the market's pretty hot for what could be the latest word in modularity.

Assuming, of course, the gun companies are rational actors.

With my apologies to anyone who just spat coffee on the keyboard and is now trying to stop laughing long enough to be able to breathe.

18. manChild_762

manChild_762 New Member

<thread hijack>
    But couldn't you do a php hack that changes the text. I mean it would probably nead to be don in the body.php file or if theres a specific comment.php file, it could be change with a query if the user id is one thing and switch it out with another.

Done this with my website when someone logs in.

</un highjack thread>

Totally amazed what I have seen so far in this thread. I am just curious now what we have not seen. :D

19. majette

majette New Member

springfield armory had a 1911 with this same system and a linkless barrel (stamped LINKLESS on the slide), and a variant called the omega, primarily a 10mm with a 6" barrel and slide. barrel and magazine change to go from 10mm to .40 to .38 super to 9mm. they had a disagreement with joe peters (who was the designer, maybe Herr Bubits was involved in this as well?) and stopped production. i believe they are still being produced in germany under the name of peters-stahl.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i would be anxious to see one of Herr Bubits' 1911's in a full size version with an accessory rail, quick-see sighting system, and multiple barrels. well, just .45 and 9mm barrels...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  20. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya maj* :)

That looks lika handfulla pistol, Bro!

10 MM hand cannon with dual extractors, no less!

Wonder what them babies go for?! :eek:

Wulf <-- thinkin', "hmmm...I thinka .400 Corbon could use a lit'l o' that...." ;)

Oh, anybody find a link to their website...that's up an' runnin'? :eek:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011