Steyr takes a breather

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by madecov, Jun 27, 2007.

1. madecov

madecov New Member

Well, I hate to do it.
    But........

After waiting 2 years and still no decent Police duty holsters for the MA1 series, I broke down and qualified with a S&W M&P.
    Safariland already makes several models for the gun. I can carry it with a Tac-Light attached.

This is no way a reflection of the quality and accuracy or reliability of my M40A1, just I need a decent way to carry it and Uncle Mikes one size fits nothing doesn't cut it.

My M40A1 will be my off duty weapon and night table gun. The M&P will be a work gun.

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

No hard feelings - your problem is a perfectly valid one that the major manufacturers NEED to address, IMHO. If SAI ever has any ambitions to attract a LEO following, they need to use whatever pull they have in this country to get it done.

3. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Not being an LEO myself, I am wondering what qualities are essential to a quality police duty holster?

4. madecov

madecov New Member

Security, fit, stability. All the same features as a decent concealment holster.
    The only duty holster I had found that fits the MA1 series properly was an uncle Mike's duty holster for the S&W Sigma.

The Uncle Mikes has minor retention and isn't the safest of holsters. I purchased a Safariland Holster that allows me to carry the firearm with a light attached.

Not sure if this link will work...........but.

Uncle mikes

[​IMG]

Safariland

[​IMG]

The safariland is made to fit one model of handgun. The Uncle mikes is a onse size fits nothing well and everythin poorly design.

5. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

That is what I figured. Does the Galco Fletch not fit the bill? Granted, it apparently isn't available any more for the M. :?

6. madecov

madecov New Member

The Galco is concealment holster.
    Duty gear is designed to be worn open carry even outside of a jacket

7. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer New Member

madecov, would no one make you one?

Not that it is a big deal. In comparing M&P with Steyr, one of these is about as good as the other.

8. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Forgot about that little fact...

9. madecov

madecov New Member

I still consider the Steyr to be a much more refined weapon.
    The trigger is better, the grip angle is a bit better. The fit and finish is a more refined.

But there are just no decent Police duty holsters available for it.

10. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Steyr/SAI listening?

11. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

it's classic chicken/egg.

departments would need a duty holster to switch to the steyr. a CHOICE of duty holsters would be preferable.

but no major holster manufacturer is going to just throw their towel in the ring and devote time, effort and energy to developing a holster for such a little used gun in the hopes of eventually breaking even.

many major holster manufacturers that did this for the M series were so underwhelmed by the response that they won't even make a holster for the m-a1. at any price.

at some point, someone ie... the proverbial "they" needs to invest serious $$$$ into a proper duty holster.

who exactly "they" are remains to be seen, but with m+p filling the -i'm not a glock- niche and quickly becoming fully accessorized by the aftermarket right out of the chute, they're stealing a lot of steyr thunder in the LEO purchasing offices.

12. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I am not sure "stealing" Steyr's thunder is quite right. Steyr hasn't generated much thunder for the M&P to steal. It is S&W's game and Steyr isn't making much (any?) effort to break in.

SAI needs to get serious and make a concerted push of the M-A1 to law enforcement, maybe subsidize one or two of the major holster manufactuers to create a quality (and inovative?) duty holster for it. The M&P isn't where it is because it is a better pistol but because it has the full force of aggressive S&W marketing and S&W's long standing relationship with LE behind it.

I can understand why Steyr isn't rushing into LE right now as SAI is trying to find itself as a business and has to have the cooperation of Steyr Mannlicher, add to that the whole Steyr .50 sniper rifles to Iran bruhaha seems to have set the company back a bit.

Now, SAI just needs to hire a few of us as sales reps... :D

13. matt13

matt13 Premium Member

I volunteer to be a paid sales rep. :)

14. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

There is nothing to add in light of the entire thing turning out to be bunk. Again - when are we going to stop perpetuating this rumor? :roll:

15. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I did not intend to imply that the the Steyr/Iran rumor was true, I simply meant to say that it had an impact on the company. My dealer said that the up-roar surrounding the rumor caused Steyr's US distributor to panic and dump their entire Steyr stock at a big loss and then CDNN snapped it up. I don't know how accurate that is, but I do think Steyr suffered to some degree.

I should have had "bogus" in that line. My apologies.

16. Dag

Dag New Member

Duty Holster for M-A1 pistols

+1 :!:

For a couple of thousand dollars, SAI could fully or partially subsidize a couple of holster designs, then heavily advertise their availability in Law Enforcement circles. It sounds like potentially a very large return for a small investment. I think SAI is missing a good bet here. Is Steyr Arms even interested in competing for in Law Enforcement market? :?:

Dag

17. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

US LEO may be uncharted territory for them.

steyr traditionally goes after large military contracts. economies of scale and all. steyr GB...

us peon buyers all get grouped into one big group with a much larger expense incurred in marketing and advertising to us.

the LEO community would take a combo of both, potentially with an even greater expense concerning marketing to them but without the HUGE orders that an entire nation's military would generate.

suffice it to say that duty holster (s) and night sights are crucial for this market.

18. Dag

Dag New Member

M-A1 LEO market

I know some manufacturers work closely with accessory companies (especially for holsters and sights), to support a new gun. I don't understand why SAI seems to be ignoring the U.S. LEO market. Maybe not the huge orders of a military contract (very few of those around anyway), but there are a lot of coppers out there who are potential customers, not to mention some entire departments. Still a good ROI. :? Once word gets around that there is no after-market support for Steyr pistols, changing that reputation is going to be very difficult! :(

Just my two cents.

Dag

19. N24RE

N24RE New Member

Word on the street is that UMLE is making a new duty holster that WILL fit the M Series , even with a light attached. I have been checking my local police supply and they are saying any day now. It looks like it may be the new trick in town. It is called the EVO 3

Here is a link:

http://www.unclemikesle.com/products/holsters/duty/holsters_EVO3.html

And hopefully a picture:

[​IMG]

20. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

Very cool! Thanks for the link, and keep us posted. 8)