Steyr M9 A1 newbie with holster problem

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by TheCount, Feb 11, 2012.

1. TheCount

TheCount New Member

Hi guys,

i just got one of those incredible deals on NIB M9A1 that are currently floating around (supposedly mid east deal gone bad-who cares!)

Went to my favorite gun store and tried to find a holster, just about any holster, that would fit the M9. No such luck. Tried various Fobus paddle holsters, incl. those for the SIG 229 which I read somewhere will work. Then a whole bunch of Uncle Mike holsters. No luck either. Only thing that kinda worked was one of those fabric models, do not like that top strap retaining approach and the thing looks *cheap*.

So if anybody can provide links to decent kydex holsters I would be much obliged.

2. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member

3. raul325

raul325 New Member

Blade tech Bobby McGee have holsters specially for MA1.

Yes. Welcome to Steyr Club

4. Housertl

Housertl New Member

Dale Fricke Holsters. He doesn't list the steyr, but he can do it for you. Best part is, you won't have to wait for weeks to get it, and his customer service and warranty service is better than anyone I have seen.

5. ALee33

ALee33 New Member

I second the Crossbreed. Very comfortable, easy to conceal or choose not to. They have great customer service as well. I think wait time is down to two weeks or so.

6. Keltyke

Keltyke New Member

Blade-Tech makes a really nice Kydex holster. The Fobus holster will work, but you have to cut the smaller diameter (SIG) end off.

7. TheCount

TheCount New Member

Which Fobus model for the SIG works if you cut off the end somewhat? They have models for the 220, 250, 239, 226, etc?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  8. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

Send a private message to member amybullock13 - she works for Blade-Tech and can surely help you out. :cheers:

9. TheCount

TheCount New Member

I just took delivery of Fobus hoslter SG4RP (roto paddle for SIG 229 and Steyr S 357/9/40) and can 100% say for sure that it does NOT work with the M9A1. Does not even go in halfway. The slide is just too wide. The good news is that this holster works perfectly with my CZ SP01 Tactical which is a big @ss gun that I had trouble finding a holster for too :)

10. Il Cattivo

Il Cattivo New Member

Blade Tech and be done with it. Or get one of those, what, Galcos or something? that Steyr USA has on its website.

11. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Can't go wrong with BladeTech

12. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

I've got 'em both - the Blade Tech is definitely the way to go. :thumbsup:

13. Keltyke

Keltyke New Member

Thanks for the heads up, Count. I was told it would fit the M's, too.

Wait! The slide width on the S, M, and M-A1 is the same, is it not? Then something else must be binding.

14. cobbhc

cobbhc New Member

I just got a holster for my M9A1 and a TLR1 from Chris at Crown Holsters. I'm really happy with it now. I'm going to do a review on it when I get some time, but bottom line: It's good. Has good retention - not too much work to get your weapon into the fight. Great customer service. Reasonable lead time. If you have any questions let me know.

15. TheCount

TheCount New Member

S and M are not the same width as much as I have seen.

16. Rclubbe

Rclubbe New Member

SHTF Gear has a great product, Crossbreed style with combat cut and they make one for Steyr m models, a few bucks cheaper than Crossbreed but in my opinion look much nicer and they are a very comfortable IWB holster. There is about a 2 to 3 week wait but it is WELL worth it. Online is about the only way to get a holster for the Steyr. Good luck..:salute:

17. TheCount

TheCount New Member

TWO FLIES WITH ONE SWAT

I ordered a Viridian Green Laser Sights TacLoc Ready Auto Locking Holster Built for Springfield XD/XDm. On a hunch I stuck my M9A1 into it, and low and behold, it works real good! I did disable the locking mechansim on the holster because I do action pistol shooting and the range where I do is prohibits locking holsters. So I paid $43 on Amazon for this holster and can use it with 2 of my favorite guns. One thing though, the holster cannot accomodate the Steyr with the C5 laser on it, only the XDM9.

18. dvc40jim

dvc40jim New Member

At SHOT Show this year a gentleman stopped by our booth (MSP+ #20201) and had a look out our holster display. He is a proud owner of I guess several Steyr M9's and he told me one of the unique issues is finding quality holsters without a huge price tag or a long wait list. I don't have pictures our M9 model holsters, but they are available. Same quality as the rest of our line with the same attention to detail and customer service. It will be a few days before I get the webstore button updated to reflect the Steyr as an option, but if you can't wait you can feel free to order any other model and in the notes section include a note that it's for a Steyr M9. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to send me an email.

http://www.advancedperformanceshooting.com/highoutputholsters.html