Shoulder stock for M-A1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Ronin, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Ronin

Ronin New Member

I was told that the open space behind the mag well is meant for a shoulder stock that would be secured by the pin holes on the sides of the bottom of the grip. They cannot be shipped into the US because it would turn the pistol into a very short carbine. These are supposively available in Canada. Anybody else heard this?

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

If you do a simple search you will find all kinds of info about the carbine kit. The part about them not being available in the US is completely false - the kit comes with an extended barrel to bring the weapon system to the legal limit. One could get a SBR tax stamp from the ATF ($200 + time if their state allows) and use the factory barrel. The kits work on the original M series, but NOT the -A1s. IGB claims to be able to make a kit for the A1's, but they have only now gotten a M-A1 pistol to experiment with and many of our members have found their products and customer service to be lacking in recent months, so I'd steer clear for the time being...

3. Garys4598

Garys4598 Premium Member

I've heard the very same thing... save for the last part; that they're available in Canada. I've no knowledge of that.

WOULD be nice to know if that were true though!

4. MACHINgunIST

MACHINgunIST New Member

Greetings Ronin: We had some interesting discussion about shoulder stocks for the Steyrs.......... Search the archives for posts by steyroid .......... antonis........... for more info.

5. antonis

antonis New Member

I received a few days ago the IGB stock for my M410A1.

I contacted IGB a 3 weeks ago (http://www.impulsegunbarrels.com) who informed me that they have some limited stock for M40A1 and no plans to produce more... so I bought one for me and it perfectly fits M40A1; if you want yours, hurry up to take one.

The stock comes in 3 lengths (35, 39, 42 cm), mine is the 42 cm; I would suggest to ask for 35 or 39 cm ones (if available).

I have seen, in previous posts, negative comments for the IGB customer support. My shopping experience was excellent, I have only the best comments for the IGB. The stock was shipped in time (registered and insured parcel).

Please take care that IGB site does not offer shopping cart and other fancy e-shop functionality. I had to exchange 13 mails and with their customer support to get my order. So if you are used to "click and order" buttons, be prepared to spend some more time... but their personnel was very polite and very helpful.

Now I have fitted the IGB stock and the FAB foregrip on my M40A1. Really fancy, I will test the system next weekend in the shooting range.

PS: the stock has the name of Wilhem Bubbits (the designer of MSeries) on it

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

Well that's news... Thanks for sharing!

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Antonis: Would you care to share the cost in good ol' American dollars for the IGB stock and foregrip? And 16" barrel, too, if you got one, but since you didn't mention it, perhaps not. Does that mean in Greece you can legally have a stock on a pistol without adding a long barrel? No can do here with a special permit. Since the dollar has been taking a beating vs. the Euro lately, I suspect the price is a bit higher than the quote I got several months ago. :cry:

8. antonis

antonis New Member

Hi again,

I paid 106 Euro + 20 Euro tax + 15 Euro postal service for the IGB stock. If the item is exported to US, there is no tax, so the cost will be 106 Euro (roughly 150 dollars) + postal service for US. I think that it is relatively sound cost, the IGB stock is well made.

I bought the FAB foregrip from zahal e-shop (http://www.zahal.org/FAB/FGG-S.htm) for 36$ + 15$ shipping costs. Really professional service!!!

In Greece there is no special law for such shoulder stocks and foregrips... to be more precise, this is a grey area: nobody knows if they are actually permitted or not! The shooting community members say that since there is no law to prohibit, they are permitted... And we do not want to ask the police to clarify, we know what the answer will be :-(

I did not buy the 16 inch barrel, I am not interested in this. What I miss is a 20 or 30 round magazine... any idea where to find one :) ???

9. MACHINgunIST

MACHINgunIST New Member

Glad to hear you got that trick setup you wanted so badly......and it's properly dimensioned/fitted as manufactured.......NO MODS NEEDED........you hit a home run......good shooting.

10. antonis

antonis New Member

some photos of the M40A1/IGB/FAB and his Winchester comrade

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please notice that you have to dremel a few milimiters of FAB polymer to fit the foregrip to the Steyr rail (red cycle on first foto).

ATTENTION: The FAB foregrip comes in two versions: one with fast release button and another with a permanent screw. If you attach it to a handgun, use only the version with permanent screw... there are reports that the version with button releases the safety while shooting... not a good experience for the shooter!

11. dtask

dtask New Member

Hey guys, FYI, there is one of these stocks currently listed on gun Broker that comes with like a 17" barrel. I think the barrel is a Glock one though, but the stock is stamped with the Steyr logo. Currently at around $200.00 before shipping.

12. Surgeon

Surgeon New Member

I am waiting for a reply from Impulse gun barrels about a stock for new steyr pistol...

13. Zundfolge

Zundfolge New Member

Just a reminder: If you are a resident of the United States, putting a stock on a pistol without putting a 16" (or longer) barrel is a felony (unless you register it as an SBR with the BATFE).

14. evrenay

evrenay New Member

Hello,

it is a long time since I didn't write to Steyrclub.

At last I have more time and 2 more pistols (Colt 1911 .38 Super with ordnance Stamp Serial 373.. 1944-45 and a Heckler Koch P7M13).

Now I thought it is time to take care of my carry weapon (2 more 17-mags a fanny pack, Hoppe's cleaning foam, new brass brushes,...)
    I decided to get some real hardware for here and I bumped on these shoulder stocks for my Steyr M9A1:

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=2474983#img

and this:

http://www.aturo.de/cgi-bin/auktion/item.pl?item=515#images

or this:

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=2444924

They all have the known Steyr Logo on them and supposed to be designed or manufactured by Wilhelm Bubbits.

The seller of the first stock claims that the stock is for Glock pistols, however there is this infamous Steyr logo on it??? Do they fit also in Glocks?

The other ones; will they fit in my M9A1?

I read some threads (if not all) in Forum that; one need some saw job to get the stock in A1 pistols.

I read that IGM Austria has some stocks for Steyr m series, I already wrote an e-mail to them, I expect to get an answer next week (since I wrote it in German, they might process it faster :) ). But I still don't know if they still have shoulder stocks for Steyr M series and if these ones are fitting in A1.

I will be grateful for an quick answer, since I am already bidding on those items.

By the way I do not live in the US so I suppose I don't have any legal issues concerning shoulder stocks.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  15. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member

there is a differance in the stocks designated for the GLOCK and the M series steyr. the shape that fits into the grip channel differs from glock to steyr. they both bear the trap sight logo, only because bubbits' name is part of that trap logo for the stock....

the stock your get from IGB is actually for the M series, i modified mine to fit the A1 by cutting my grip down. Also, my fab grip uses the perm. screw..... not the fast detatch.

Attached Files:

16. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member

i looked at the links you posted above..... this one: http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=2444924
    is the one for the steyr M series. note the differance in shape where it attaches to the grip, and the two slots in the stock ( glock ) versus the one slot (steyr).....

17. evrenay

evrenay New Member

Hey, thank you very much for your answer. As you might have seen I am already bidding on that one.

However, I believe I need to make the same modifications (saw job) as you did.
    Or I need to push it in the Pistol after every 6-8 shots right?

It is easier and faster for me to buy the stock you had seen under the link I had given not the IGW Stock. Do I nevertheless need to modify my grip?

Unfortunately I can't or won't screw the shoulder stock on my Steyr, because it is my carry weapon.

I already saved the photos you uploaded to the forum.

Conclusion: Should buy the stock on which I am bidding already, or should I buy IGW Stock?

18. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member

i waited several months for my IGB stock and 16" barrel...... i would go with the one in the auction that you bid on.

if your weapon is an M-a1..... i would saw the grip. if its an M, you're all set....

hope that helped !

19. evrenay

evrenay New Member

That was great help. Thank you very much. I will buy the stock from auction, then let's see if I can do the sawing.
    (My Steyr is a M9A1 see: http://www.steyrclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7071 )

One question: Did the IGW shoulder stock fit immediately in your M9A1 or it nevertheless needs modification of the gun or the stock for a perfect fit in M9A1)

20. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member