M9 A1 FTE despite new extractor and spring

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by donkengine, Feb 4, 2011.

1. donkengine

donkengine New Member

I've been chasing an FTE issue that just wont quit. I've installed the new extractor, spring and plunger but I'm still getting as many as 3 FTEs per 100 rds. I saved the brass that FTEd and the extractor marks are very light.

I love the way this gun shoots, but the reliability issue is wearing my patience thin.

Any ideas? I've been emailing Jeff at SAI but it takes him about a week to reply.

2. blueorison

blueorison New Member

I have the EXACT same issue on an M9 slide.

I have changed to both new extractor/plunger and old style, and a combination of both. NOTHING will stop the FTE's. I keep getting at least 1 per magazine.

I don't see any choice but to contact SAI and get it shipped back. I just barely have any money for shipping, being a college student. I have been trying to solve this issue for the past 2 months, NOTHING has worked.

Yes, I have tried... everything I can.

3. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

By FTE you mean the cartridge case remains in the chamber, or does it exit the chamber and stay in the open breech?

More data would help. What are you feeding it? Did you install the 1911 spring with the new plunger and extractor? Have you done a maximum cleaning job on the chamber using Kroil followed by JB bore polish (there are other equivalents, but I'm using this combo as some benchrest guys swear by it)?

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi Guys :)

Sorry ur havin' FTE probs. What's ur mag situation? Does it happen with a variety of mags, or ya just usin' the same couple that ur M9's came with? I may be way off target, but its been reported that some of the mags came w/ the wrong springs and/or followers.

Oh, and what are the manufacturing dates on ur slides? That could shed some light on the problem.

Just a thought. <shrug>

Hava great Superbowl Sunday! :)

Wulf <-- Doesn't watch much football, but, "Go Cowboys!" [​IMG]

5. blueorison

blueorison New Member

Thanks for the concern, guys. I foresaw the usual questions that would be asked, which was why I should have gave more info besides "tried everything".

Using stock mags, 17 rounders, 15, 14 etc. New springs, old springs, correct 9mm followers.

Have polished chamber.

FTE stays in chamber completely, claw doesn't extract it, or it will shortstroke and jam in slide partway. Which was why i tried trimming springs for timing purposes. This didn't work because the main issue is FTE completely.

Wulf, as for date on slide, it's N0K.

6. donkengine

donkengine New Member

I used the spring, plunger and extractor that SAI sent me. The mags are both the originals ones and I also installed the longer springs in them to fix the double feeding issue.

By FTE I mean that the brass is only about half out of the chamber and the slide is locked back on the next round that it is trying to feed.

I've tried multiple ammo types including my own loads (that function fine in everything else) and there is no rhyme or reason. Some days it does it less, some days it does it more.

I just stripped the gun and the brass that FTEd slides in and out smoothly. I did notice that the ejector is a little loose in the frame. I'm wondering if a combination of a loose ejector, possible short cycle are causing this. I've always used good form and a thumb high grip. I would suspect limp wristing first, but I don't have this issue with ANY of my other autos (HK, Glock, 1911 etc).

How do I find the date code on the slide? Will SAI pay for shipping if the gun is defective?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya donken* :)

RE: Steyr M and S Model Date Codes

Here ya go...

"Steyr pistols are marked with a three letter date code on the slide just forward of the ejection port. The first letter represents the month of manufacture, while the second and third letters represent the last two digits of the year of manufacture, respectively."

[​IMG]

The code is also a tool to ID product "batches" that can establish a commonality of interest. <shrug>

Like I said, just a thought.

Oh, an' if ya wanna quicker response from Jeff, call 'im at (205) 655-8299, an' tell 'im ur a Steyrclub Member. He's a good man and very easy to talk to. ... an' tell 'im Wulf says howdy. :)

Take care, Bro. :)

Wulf <-- goin' back ta watchin' True Grit...again! :thumbsup:

8. donkengine

donkengine New Member

Thanks! I'll call him next week. I really like the form factor and accuracy of this gun- I just want to know it will work 100% of the time.

9. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Bro!

100%?!

[​IMG]

Lotta variables inna 100% performance from an auto loadin' pistol. <shrug>

Good luck with that. :thumbsup:

Wulf <-- notta 100% a 100% of the time ;)

10. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

I can say that when you do get the problems solved, the Steyr gets as close to 100% as any other semi auto, Wulf's smiley not withstanding. Wulf's just bragging 'cause he makes 110% some of the time. :joker:

11. donkengine

donkengine New Member

Well, maybe 99.99%. Or at least as reliable as my keltec!

12. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

Hi donkengine,
    the "loose extractor" sounds suspicious. moving my extractor at all requires a fair amount of pressure. it doesnt rattle or move around at all on its own. these things can be a little tricky to install and there are several variants. be careful with assembly/disassembly as the spring has a tendancy to take off on its own and if your spring is not exerting much pressure on the extractor - ya might request a replacement spring.

13. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Yeah, squirrel*

...good call, Bro. That kinda felt weird when I read through it, too.

donken*, I would definitely bring this up when ya get Jeff on the horn, "the part about the loose extractor assembly". He'll prolly wanna taka looksee. And, he may only need the slide assembly. <shrug>

The extractor assembly in my M357-A1 is under spring load at rest, and I haven't any extractor problems with my *reloads or with any factory ammo, that I've put thru it. <shrug>

If you feel confident that you have done a thorough cleaning of the extractor channel and that you have reinstalled the extractor assembly correctly, and the extractor is loose - consider that a prime suspect for FTE's. There shouldn't be any play in your extractor assembly. <shrug> I would expect that the spring is the culprit, in the event that the channel is clean and within tolerances and the new extractor is good ta go.

Did ya check ta see if the older assembly had the same "play"? -- just a thought. <shrug>

Anyway,

Ciao, Baby :cool:

*reloads <-- by reloads, I'm of course talkin' about the ones I don't overindulge in powder charges with...occasionally. I did overdo it abit w/ some Bullseye and created a few primer flattenin', overly-fireformed cases that wouldn't properly eject, but that's another story. ;)

14. Astra

Astra New Member

I've bought my M9A1 on December of last year and from the get go had at least one FTE per magazine. What I mean by that an empty cartridge will stuck eather half way out or completely out in the opened slider while the new round is pushing it up. I have tried 4 different ammos I normally use with my XD. No reloads. Before I called Jeff at SA I did run about 500 rounds through the firearm. Jeff did send me a new extractor last week but I didnt receive it yet. But I have noticed one thing and I am pretty sure the new extractor wont help: on my last firing session Ive tried Federal Premium 124 JHP ammo. Ran 5 full magazines and not a single problem! Switched to 115 FMJ and 2 FTE in one mag. I think 115 is too weak for this firearm or the problem is not an extractor.
    I should have a new assembly in a day or two and will post my discoveries here later next week.
    BTW. My firearm is clean as God knows what. Lol

15. blueorison

blueorison New Member

Also noticed this;

I used RWS 9mm 124; they load their ammo hotter than normal Federal etc. Had no FTEs.

16. Hollis

Hollis New Member

I would go straight to Jeff at Steyr and have him look at it and fix it, Once you have it dialed in you will feel extremely confident with you piece.

17. donkengine

donkengine New Member

Sorry guys- I meant EJECTOR not extractor. The ejector piece that is riveted to the frame moves around a bit. This might explain the erratic ejection pattern. It will throw some brass over my shoulder and the rest at my forehead.

I've tried tons of factory ammo, low power reloads and max reloads with the same result. My HK P7 ejects the same loads much farther and in the same direction every time.

I will call Jeff in the morning about shipping it back. I went shopping last weekend to see what I might replace my Steyr with should the problem persist (I do not keep or make excuses for guns that don't work- regardless of brand). So far, the only thing even mildly interested me was the XDm. I have to admit, the Steyr grip, low bore axis and trigger are hard to beat in a polymer gun. I *hope* it can be corrected.

18. khoff

khoff New Member

aren't the new steyr coming without the LCI. could possibly the LCI have something to do with this. i sand my LCIs down. seems to stabilize ejection tendencies. for me anyway.

19. blueorison

blueorison New Member

Yessir, the new models do not have an LCI.

20. steyrlifer

steyrlifer New Member

I think most M9-A1 owners will agree that 115 gr. ammo should not be an issue. Don't feed your frustration pondering all the possibilities. Contact Jeff and let him sort it out.