How about those AR15 Mag conversion stocks?

Discussion in 'AUG, MSAR' started by Germanic, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Germanic

Germanic New Member

Just wondering how many folks have purchased the conversion stock which allows an AUG to accept AR15 magazines.

Specifically, are they reliable?

Are they Austrian made?

If not, how does the overall fit/finish and quality compare to the original Austrian stocks?

It seems like they'd be a good purchase for an AUG owner. I've got plenty of the original AUG magazines, so I've been sitting on the fence so far.

2. olli9022

olli9022 Steyr Mannlicher Representative

Yes, the stock which accepts M16 mags is called NATO stock and it is made by STEYR MANNLICHER in Austria.

3. dbooksta

dbooksta New Member

Are these available in the U.S.? If so where?

4. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

CDNN was selling them. I don't know if they still have them.

5. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member

6. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I have an original, still in the box, black, NATO conversion kit for the Steyr AUG. Includes trigger pack and front grip. PM me if you are interested.

7. dbooksta

dbooksta New Member

These NATO stocks don't have a bolt release tab like the regular AUG stocks, so they can't close on an empty mag. (The only way to get the bolt to close after dropping an empty mag is using the "cocking slide.")

Does anyone know the reason(s) for this difference?

8. eq3

eq3 New Member

You also can't use a left hand bolt with this stock installed.

9. dbooksta

dbooksta New Member

10. scottmaxim24

scottmaxim24 New Member

Here's the question I have about this replacement stock: Will it work with the MSAR Steyr AUG clone? CDNN has the picatinny rail version of the AUG on sale for $999, but as we all know, if you buy this clone, you are stuck with MSAR's mags. Not cool. :wall:

However, if this conversion stock works, then consider this: An AR-15 mag enabled AUG for $1300. INSANELY COOL!!!!! :drool:

So has anyone done this conversion? If so, I know what I'll be saving up for this year!!!

Later on Steyroids!

11. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

CDNN sells the MSAR, and RatWorx sells the MSAR E4 conversion stock - for $999 + $300 you have a pretty-much-E4 MSAR AR-15 enabled ninja-railed gun. Additionally, a guy posted an illustrated demonstration on arfcom that shows the MSAR stocks can be slapped on the AUG front ends - just in case you ever wanted to do that.

12. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...and to answer the actual question asked, No, the Steyr NATO Stocks will not work with the MSAR clones....

13. dbooksta

dbooksta New Member

A few points of information:

1. If you don't like MSAR mags, you can use AUG mags in MSAR's fourth-generation STG-556 (i.e., any STG-556 without the Forward Assist). I have tried this myself.

2. If you want to use AR-15 mags and you own an AUG the $300 Steyr NATO conversion kit from CDNN is a good option. (I have heard the MSAR isn't supposed to work with this, but I have personally installed a Gen-4 MSAR receiver on the Steyr NATO kit and I can confirm it at least function checks, though I haven't fired it in that configuration.)

3. The MSAR E4 conversion kit gives you a bunch of extra rails the Steyr doesn't. The Steyr receiver will work in the MSAR E4 stock.

If you're going to be buying a whole gun and you want to use AR-15 mags just go and get the MSAR STG-E4 -- currently $1300 from Ratworx!

14. Dehammer

Dehammer New Member

I have one.....the quality is very good. I can't vouch as to how well they work, I don't have any real trigger time on it.