Holster for L9-A1

Discussion in 'Blade-Tech Industries' started by spclopr8tr, Jul 15, 2013.

1. spclopr8tr

spclopr8tr New Member

Recently purchased the new for 2013 L9-A1 but unable to locate a belt holster for OWB carry. Intended use is for range or open carry. Do you make anything for this model. If not, when might you anticipate doing so. Thought I'd start with an IP before expanding my search.

2. Jarvy

Jarvy New Member

There are a number of "Open ended" holsters that will work with any Steyr pistol. Another option while waiting is you can heat and reform a kydex holster designed for the M, which is what I did with my Zero COncealment holster.

3. spclopr8tr

spclopr8tr New Member

Thanks for the advice. am curious though on a closed end holster how remolding might work since the barrel length between the M and L are different.

With the L9-A1 being relatively new to the US market, I realize there may be insufficient number of owners to make a good return on investment to make these holsters. I would think though there would be some benefit for being first to the market for this pistol in the US. Any idea when you might start making any of your holster styles for the L9-A1?

4. Jarvy

Jarvy New Member

I forgot, I`m in Canada, so we have the longer barrels on are Ms. For my holster, I ordered it for an M with a threaded barrel so it would fit. The result was there was plenty of room to push my L into.

5. McSteyr

McSteyr Premium Member

I have 3 x holsters.

OWB BladeTech without Light // Was custom order.
    Physically fits, still covers trigger, but a well placed twig could theoretically trip trigger.
    I was not able to sneak my pinky in.

OWB BladeTech with Light (StreamLight TLR2)
    Dropped in and fits well, no problem whatsoever

IWB K&D
    I haven't tried yet, but predict it would be worse than the base BladeTech.

I can post pix upon request.

On a side note, I was going to call them tomorrow, and see if they could do a L9A1+StreamLight TLR2, and if not, just do a M9A1+StreamLight TLR2.

They are local in Washington, I have driven by there before to pick up mag pouches.

I will let you know how it goes. (I thought it would be cool to do a visit and video them making it, if they were up for such a thing.)

6. McSteyr

McSteyr Premium Member

Hey Steyr Brethren,

I spoke to BladeTech today. (Sorry, got busy this week.)

They have molds to do M9A1+StreamLight-TLR2, though their tooling shop isn't taking any custom orders for 2 months.

They DON'T have any molds for L9A1 yet, but said they could mold mine. But again, they aren't taking any custom orders for 2 months.

With only a few hundred L9A1 in the states, I doubt they will have this model up on their site.

I will check back in a couple months, and see if any the SteyrClub L9A1 owners are interested in doing a group custom order.

Good luck in meantime.

7. photog22740

photog22740 New Member

I have a BladeTEch for my C9-A1 which fits the L9 just fine, just has the muzzle sticking through the bottom a bit.

8. spclopr8tr

spclopr8tr New Member

I also exchanged emails with BladeTech who told me essentially the same. They were waiting on the L9 to arrive to use as a mold. They also told me it would be a wait until they could begin producing the holsters. I also got a response from Steyr saying that any holster with an open end would fit the L9 same as the M9. The only difference is the barrel/slide length. Multiholsters said they could modify their closed end Hipster holster. There is about an 8 - 9 week wait for all their custom holsters.

One other thing I learned on this journey is that from the vendors' perspective, a "custom" holster is one made for a specific model of gun. They don't generally do custom orders. Multiholster was the only place I found that would actually modify an existing "custom" holster for the M9 that would fit the L9.

9. Whisper

Whisper New Member

If you want a holster for belt wear on the range, how about a flap holster? The Bianchi UM84 and UM92 are not listed for the Steyr, but they are listed for many other 5-inch autos. Maybe somebody who has one of these holsters can do a test fit and report back?

Cheers,
    Whisper

10. TheWhiteDoberman

TheWhiteDoberman New Member

Blade-Tech's answer on holsters for the L9-A1 as of 01/13/2014:

"I am very sorry, but we are not currently able to make any of our holsters for this pistol. We do not have a mold for it yet.
    Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you

Tara Clarkson
    Office Manager
    BLADE-TECHâ„¢

OTHER's CONTACTED and said NO only the M9-A1, no mold for L9-A1:

Mills Tactical
    Custom Carry Concepts
    Raven Concealment
    Bravo Concealment
    Multi Holsters

RKBA Holsters will mold an open bottom belt kydex holster with belt loops for the M9-A1 which will fit the L9-A1 for $55.00 including shipping.
    See example from
    Stephen McElroy:

rkbaleather.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  11. spclopr8tr

spclopr8tr New Member

I ended up going with the Multi Holster Hipster model. It is open ended, but fits both the M9 as well as the L9. Only took a couple of weeks from order to delivery.

12. Two Mikes

Two Mikes New Member

On many Kydex holsters the bottom lip is curved in for comfort. Often the curve is so slight that you can see it without a straight-edge.

The cool thing and bad thing about Kydex is that it reverts back to a flat sheet with the application of heat (above 250 + - degrees).

If you wrap the holster up in Aluminum foil except for the very bottom of the holster where the curve is, you should be able to heat up the curve with a hair dryer and the curve should come out. Then you will have a straight bottomed holster and the L9 will fit, although it will stick out a little bit. Use low hair dryer heat to start then work your way up. I've used the burners on my oven to do it as well.

13. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

I've used that method before - a heat gun will quickly turn any kydex holster into an open-bottom version that will fit longer barreled models.

14. dott67

dott67 New Member

What company and model of holster did you buy for your L9? I'm on the fence with a bladetech glock 21 TLR-2 or Bladetech IDPA competition for the M9?

15. spclopr8tr

spclopr8tr New Member

http://multiholsters.com/index.htm