History of Steyr M Series

Discussion in 'Ask Bubits' started by Wilhelm Bubits, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Wilhelm Bubits

Wilhelm Bubits Firearms Designer

As known the Steyr M 40 pistol was presented during Shot Show 1999 in Atlanta, GA. The first pistole, which stems from the serial production, was a M40 in caliber 40S&W with the no. 001001. This pistol, as well as the next serial number 001002, is in my possession. Steyr Mannlicher reserved serial numbers from 000001 - 001000 for special customers of the company, as well as for VIPs.

The first pistol M9 in caliber 9x19 has the serial number 004201, this and the pistol with number 004202 also are in my possession.

The first out of the production stemming M357 in caliber 357 Sig has the number 018771. I'm proud that I can call this my own too.

The first pre-serial piece of M40 in caliber 40 S&W had the number 9811703. The first two numbers of this combination describe the year 1998, third and fourth numbers describe the month November and the last three figures show the serial number of Steyr Mannlicher. Also this pistol is in my possession.

The first pre-serial models of M9 in caliber 9x19 showed the serial numbers 9904729 and 9904730. I'm the happy owner of these pistols too.

On coming Friday I will publish some pictures of these pistols (also pistols with shortened sight line) together with some accessories, like shoulder stock, adapter for weaver rails, enlarged magazine, etc. in this forum.

2. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

3. Hollis

Hollis New Member

Thank you, cant wait!!!

4. steyrlifer

steyrlifer New Member

Is it Christmas already?

5. Heymucko

Heymucko New Member

Wow I am excited to see theses pieces of history ... How cool is that!!!

6. Il Cattivo

Il Cattivo New Member

That'll teach me to make assumptions - like the assumption that Europeans would automatically start with a 9mm! I guess the fact that the Ms were designed as .40s from the ground up should've tipped me off.

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

Great to hear - we're all looking forward to it!

8. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Lieber Herr Bubits :)

You are a much appreciated and honored member of our Club. I doubt that you will have a more appreciative audience anywhere on the Planet.

That having been said, "Bring it, Bro!" :thumbsup:

Wulf <-- "genuflect, genuflect, genuflect...." ... eh, ETH* ;)

9. Narsil

Narsil Premium Member

It sounds like Herr Bubits has almost as many Steyrs as Babj...:joker:

I look forward to seeing your collection photos; thank you for sharing!

10. manChild_762

manChild_762 New Member

:popcorn:
    Wow. Not only are we honored Herr Bubits, but we are basically going to be guided through a virtual museum history tour by the designer.
    I have never ever dreamed of being able to learn the history and insights of such a great firearm, but my mind has been blown by this tour.
    Keep up the great work on the posts.

Alex

11. Astra

Astra New Member

Can not wait to see it.

Thank You!

12. Wilhelm Bubits

I´m very glad to tell you, that the 10 pics you are going to see, were specially made by my son for this forum. Enjoy!
    Pic0124: special Galco holster prototype (2 pieces made), shoulder stock with storage space for two magazines, weapon shown is the second produced M40 - engraved with the date of the license contract signed
    Pic0123: Prototype magazine 30 rounds with fixed grip extension
    Pic0122: Prototype synthetic holster in red (black serial prod.), prototype adapter for rails made by Insight, and a Steyr Pistols pin
    Pic0118: second produced M40 with extended barrel
    Pic0117: collection of all my M and S pistols

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  13. Wilhelm Bubits

Part 2:

Pic0112: second produced M40, shown here with handcuff keylock
    Pic0111: first produced M40 .40
    Pic0110: first prototype of the S9 9x19
    Pic0109: first prototype of the M40 .40
    Pic0104: first prototype of the S9, serial nr. 9911789

Attached Files:

14. Narsil

Narsil Premium Member

Too cool! Thank you, sir. It is like a private tour of the creator's collection.

15. manChild_762

manChild_762 New Member

Herr Bubits,
    What ever became of this prototype? Is it something that will eventually be released to the mass market? Many thanks on all the pictures. :popcorn:

16. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Wunderbar!, Herr Bubits [​IMG]

Uhh...where's the 1st M357? Are ya saving it for an "Exposition", perhaps? ... Please?

Thank you for this Prelude, Maestro.

Oh, and please thank your Son for his excellent photos.

Wulf <-- Feels like he's sittin' in the Front Row Balcony Seats at The Vienna Musikverein [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  17. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

One would think that it would have happened by now, if it were going to happen at all... Either way, I'm curious about this as well. Very nice pictures!!

18. Hollis

Hollis New Member

That was Great, I feel very privileged to have seen your collection.

19. Il Cattivo

Il Cattivo New Member

Thanks to you and your son for making these photos available to us! Incidentally, Wulf speaks from the heart when it comes to the M357. He's turned a couple of us on to them, and now the 357A1 is easily my favorite Steyr.