Gouged feed ramp

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by moogoogaidan, Nov 8, 2010.

1. moogoogaidan

moogoogaidan New Member

Hi guys, let me start out by saying i'm not a gun guy. When I was taking apart my m9A1, I noticed that the very bottom of my feed ramp is chipped/gouged. I haven't put many rounds through the gun at all (<500 or so) so I'm not exactly sure what caused this. Could it have been shooting or cycling hollow points through the gun?

Also, what effect will this gouging have on the function of the gun? The chipping seems to be mostly on the underside of the feedramp lip, but it has also caused a "v"ing when you look at the feedramp from the top. Thanks in advance. Here are pictures (sorry for crappy iphone quality):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2010
  2. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

Hard to tell from your photo's. If your camera does not have a Macro mode then hold it at arms length and zoom in.
    You cant chip a barrel unless you hit it with a hammer or drop it on concrete from a distance. That steel is made for the abuse that guns can inflict.
    Pull your slide off, and take the barrel and hold it to the frame, rotate the takedown lever as to make sure the barrel is aligned and put in a mag. You should be able to eyeball and see if is going to cause an issue.
    Of course you can call Jeff at SAI and speak to him.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

That doesn't look right at all... There could have been a problem with the heat treat on that barrel, or any number of other manufacturing defects. I would definitely contact Steyr Arms and send it in for evaluation - it looks like you probably need a new barrel.

How old is this gun? Is it part of the new batch they are importing now, or have you had it more than a year?

4. moogoogaidan

moogoogaidan New Member

Thanks for your input guys -- I bought it in 2006 and, like I said, have less than 500 rounds through it. I'll try to get better pictures of it with another camera today so you guys can see more clearly. Does anyone have a quick email address for Jeff? Thanks again!

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

Has it always been that way, or is it something you discovered after a recent range trip?

I think it's jreece@steyrarms.com

6. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

Holy crap Batman! That IS NOT normal or safe and it could potentially be an accident waiting to happen I would get that fixed ASAP.

-D

7. moogoogaidan

moogoogaidan New Member

Thanks guys -- I'll email Jeff this evening. Here are much clearer pics of what i'm talking about. I only noticed this recently (within the past few months when I was just taking it apart and cleaning it, which I do annually). When I say I'm not much of a gun guy, I mean it -- this gun hasn't been shot since at the latest 2008, maybe even 2007. Last time I took it out I didn't notice anything unusual at the range. I'm absolutely certain I never dropped the gun, barrel, or any other part of the gun. It's kept safely locked up in its case in my safe and no one has access to it but me, so I know no one else has been sneaking it out and abusing it or anything.

I'll let you guys know what Jeff says. Cheers!

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u191/moogoogaidan/PB080049.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u191/moogoogaidan/PB080050.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u191/moogoogaidan/PB080055.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u191/moogoogaidan/PB080056.jpg

8. Soverign

Soverign Premium Member

OUCH!! That should not be! Email Jeff ASAP with those better pictures!

9. steve82377

steve82377 New Member

I'm going to watch this thread. My CDNN M9A1 has the exact same problem. The ramp actually has material chipped out of it. It actually used to look like something round(like a stovepiped bullet or case??) smashed into the center of the edge of the ramp full force. The smashed area eventually chipped away and fell off.

I've been trying to wrap my head around this issue for a while now. I suppose I'll see what Jeff says to you, and I'll go from there.

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

Could you post a picture as well, Steve? This has me curious...

11. steve82377

steve82377 New Member

Here's my pics. In the first one, you can clearly see the crecent shaped chip in the face of the ramp. In the second photo, I'm trying to illustrate the half-round dent centered on the underside of the ramp. That part of the barrel doesn't come in contact with anything during normal operation & disassembly, and even if it did, it shouldn't have dented like that.
    I can't believe Moogoogaidan has the exact same damage on his gun. I wonder what the common denominator is, or if there is one at all. It's really odd that both our Steyrs have this issue- I've never seen this type of damage before on any gun!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

Thank you for posting the pictures. I would be interested to know the date code off both of your pistols - I wonder if Steyr turned out batch with bad barrels?

13. BaconSammich

BaconSammich New Member

I bought my M9 also in 2006 and I had gotten gouges in the feed ramp, which I believe was from the fantastic stove pipes I was getting from the extractor glitch that Steyr went through around that time. Sent it in to get the extractor replaced and had them polish the gouges off of the ramp. Problems solved.

14. steve82377

steve82377 New Member

I think you nailed it, BaconSammich. I had some gnarly stovepipes before I got the new extractor in as well. The ramp on these guns is thinner than just about any other feedramp I've ever seen, so that probably helps out with the gouging action. Mine feeds perfectly though, so I always figured it was no big deal- just very odd!