Caracal SC, one more subcompact.

Discussion in 'Caracal C and F Series' started by Edmond, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Keltyke

Keltyke New Member

Interesting. I've never heard of Caracal, but two years ago I'd never heard or Steyr pistols, either.

2. Siafu

Siafu New Member

Yes, yes, yes. But when will they be hitting US shores? Any news on that? :drool:

3. a468

a468 New Member

The gun passed a barrage of test for certification on Nato, at least thats what I heard...

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

interesting look. Probably a few years if ever to be distributed here..........

5. vectrexer

vectrexer Premium Member

I wrote Caracal. The reply is they were still looking for a US Distributor.

And no,,, they would not sell one in the US without a US distributor.

C

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Exactly, finding a US distributer or going to be the hard part, so who are we gonna get???? How about us........:thumbsup: SteyrClub International :lol:

7. horacio

horacio New Member

With the Caracal coming after the Steyr which comes after the Glock, what improvements did Bubbits incorporate into it?

Come to think of it, what did Bubbits incorporate into Steyr as a direct improvement over the Glock?

8. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Nah, we'd have to change the name of the Club. Calling it BubitsClub International would mean that we'd have to let the Glock riff-raff in as well. :joker:

Bet I shouldn't have said that. :chair:

9. Narsil

Narsil Premium Member

My vote goes for CDNN! :lol: Caracal's for $349!!

10. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I am already here....

:D

11. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

I knew you would be, but I couldn't resist. :thumbsup:

12. scottmaxim24

scottmaxim24 New Member

Why lie? I want to get my hand on one of these pistols REAL BAD!! I'm a huge fan of Wilhelm Bulbits' designs and love my Steyr, so naturally, I'm VERY interested in Caracal's offerings!

The question was asked: What does this pistol offer that the Steyr and Glocks do not? Well, let's take a look at the Caracal SC's features and it becomes more apparent.

First of all, Bulbits has designed a sight for the SC that bucks what is considered "normal". Traditionally, sights on a pistol have a front and a rear with the belief that the further apart the two are, the more accurately you can expect to shoot. However, on the Caracal SC's, the rear sight has been moved to the front and the result is what they call their "quick sights". You can see pictures of it at the following links:

http://www.caracal.ae/web/products.asp?caracal-sc/425

http://www.janes.com/events/exhibitions/idex2009/sections/daily/day2/caracal-launches-subcompa.shtml

How is this an innovation? The only thing I could think of would be the greater level of focus one would experience with the rear sight moved so close to the front. Both would appear in focus to the shooter and more accurate shooting would be the result. Thus, I would like to try one of these SC's for myself to see if this is, in fact, the case.

In addition, Caracal is moving to polymer firing pins in their pistols with the SC being the first with this feature. I have no reason to believe that this would not be a successful innovation considering the advancements in polymer and the new uses we're seeing for it in firearms (Think Ruger LCR y'all!). It is claimed this will reduce the cost of producing the gun, and I agree.

Finally, check the position of the trigger safety on the SC. (You can see it in the picture on the second link above. It's blue.) It's located just below the trigger guard, and dare I say it, the position makes a lot of sense! It's passive, so by gripping the gun, the safety is disabled. Pretty neat! However, this feature is not shown on the pistol on the Caracal page, so it may be an option or something (HOPEFULLY) for the American market to keep the lawyers at bay.

All in all, I'm anxiously awaiting my opportunity to get my hands on one of these heaters. I think it's going to be a winner and will further endear me to Wilhelm Bubits' design work.

13. Zundfolge

Zundfolge New Member

I don't like the rear sight. Looks ugly ... like IWI/IMI Barak ugly. ... Plus if you want to swap out the rear sight for something else you can't.

Earlier versions of this pistol had a standard dovetailed rear sight. I liked it a lot better back then.

And this later version with the super short sight radius ... thats just dumb.

14. Caliber.666

Caliber.666 New Member

I agree with this 100%
    Until I fondle/molest/shoot one of course.
    Last time I checked, weren't there like 3 different size models?
    -Wes

15. scottmaxim24

scottmaxim24 New Member

Originally Posted by Zundfolge:
    I don't like the rear sight. Looks ugly ... like IWI/IMI Barak ugly. ... Plus if you want to swap out the rear sight for something else you can't.

Earlier versions of this pistol had a standard dovetailed rear sight. I liked it a lot better back then.

And this later version with the super short sight radius ... thats just dumb.

Funny thing Zundfolge, many people said the trap sights on the Steyr were "dumb" or "didn't make sense" or that they wouldn't work as well as three dot sights. After TRYING it, I have found them to be the best type of sight available.

That being said, without experiencing the Caracal for yourself to see how the "quick sight" works, your comment is nothing but the rant of a very short sighted man.

Yes, pun intended.

16. Flexmoney

Flexmoney New Member

The thing that interests me...and I'm not convinced...is the claim of the SC version being 23.5mm wide.

That is about the same as a single-stack Kahr.

:tinfoil:

17. 10mm4ever

10mm4ever New Member

I think it will be available sooner than most think. The US is the major target of ANY manufacturer, whether here or abroad. The Caracal passed the toughest NATO(german)tests with flying colors and if there's any combat auto out there that might best our beloved Steyrs, it would have to be designed by Bubits!

18. Seraph

Seraph <span style="color:yellow;">Vendor Status Suspende

I think you might be right.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010