Broken M9-A1 Firing Pin

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by nuj, Feb 11, 2008.

1. nuj

nuj New Member

hello, i was wondering if anyone experienced a broken firing pin. i was just about to go to the local range today and as i was checking my gun and dry firing it, a snap cap inside, noticed the pin protruding out. once dismantled, this is what i found
    [​IMG]
    bummer!!! where can i buy a replacement firing pin? needs help badly :cry:

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Relax....

Just call Jeff at SAI and they will hook you up!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

EDIT:

Crap!!! Your in the Phillipines.... That might suck for you....

:stupid: :stupid:

You will probably have to contact Steyr Austria and/or your local reseller and see what they can do for you...

I am SOOOOOO HAPPY we have SAI here in USA!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

3. nuj

nuj New Member

i hate you guys hehehe :D , yes it really sucks my friends and thinking that i have one if not the best defense pistol in whole world. it all goes back to murphy's law i think, "shit happens" anyway, if i can't find a replacement which is 100% zero here in the philippines, i might as well contact steyr of austria. i wonder if this will cover by warranty as defective part. or, i can have it made locally by our gunsmith.
    from what i saw, it has a fractured line that started the thing. sorry can't zoom my camera that far even using its macro setting. also i might try SAi, can any give me there website or e-mail add, much appreciate it . will keep you posted

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

Please see this thread for SAI contact information.

5. steyrile

steyrile Member

Sure would be great if SAI offered a parts kit which included a firing pin, extractor, misc springs, etc for about $9.99. Heck, I'd go $19.99 and perhaps more if they'd throw in a Steyr Pistols patch.
    Let us know how your firing pin replacement experience goes. Could be a batch of improperly heat treated pins out there so get a couple if you can.
    Health, Peace Out
    steyrile

6. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

Been a member of this website for some time now and this a new one to me. Can't remember ever seeing a Steyr firing pin issue before that as similiar either here or at GlockTalk.

Yes, it would be nice if Steyr sold their parts outright. I understand why they want to keep parts in house for warranty reasons, but having to ship a whole handgun as a non-FFL private citizen isn't cheap. :(

7. jologs

jologs New Member

8. nuj

nuj New Member

hi there jologs,
    kabayan, thanks for the info, actually i was planning on calling them but was too busy with work. from the looks of it, they don't sell any parts for the steyr since the last time i was in their store, they informed me that they only carry magazine and locally made holster for the M-A1 . however, yesterday may gunsmith made for me an exact copy of the firing pin. the only problem, once we put all the parts together, it didn't fit and in process of fixing all the errors, broke the thing in half. he told me today that i'll be getting another piece either made from stainless steel or ordinance steel, both metals will be heat treated for strength.
    i sometimes wonder if what i got is a lemon, i was informed by my friend i the gun business that these were the very first batch of steyr M9-A1 in the philippines back then. i think steyr should address this issue seriously.

9. steyrile

steyrile Member

nuj,
    I don't recall but just for curiosity sake, is your frame fitted with the safety above the trigger?
    Great you have a gunsmith handy to make a part like this and has the know how to heat treat it properly. I do know trhat oftentimes heat treated parts have to be ground after that process since they have warped a bit.
    Good luck with the firing pin.
    Health, Peace
    steyrile

10. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Nuj, What is your Steyr Serial Number and Date Code?

:think: :think:

11. Syntax360

Syntax360 Moderator

And let's not lose sight of the fact that this is the first broken firing pin we've seen on a M/S(-A1) pistol... One broken firing pin out of countless thousands of pistols hardly warrants a panic or even the label of "serious issue"...

12. nuj

nuj New Member

hello to all,
    first of all, my unit is a M9-A1 without the manual safety on top of the trigger housing. Secondly, i now have a new firing pin made by my gunsmith after fourth consecutive tires, he finally got it right i'm happy to say. So here it is
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the 1st photo is my broken firing pin with the newly made one, the second is the new firing again and the third, the primer indentation made by the firing pin which 1st tested after assembling it. Now all I have to do is go to the range and put a few thousand of rounds through it :party:

13. nuj

nuj New Member

by the way, the serial # is 044680 GOF, forgot to include it, sorry

14. m00t

m00t New Member

Boy, that is one talented gunsmith - to be able to make a firing pin from scratch for an obscure pistol, have it fit right, and interact with the sear mechanism correctly, and be heat treated, too.... mad props to him! :clap: :notworthy:

15. nuj

nuj New Member

hi there,
    finally i was able to checked out the new firing pin and from my testing, it seems ok for now. i was able to test fire at least 200 rounds of reloaded ammuitions , i only had 5 failures due to dud primers. upon checking the firing pin, it was obvious that the original one in much harder but brittle, just like what my gunsmith told me .
    there's been some metal to metal contact between the new firing pin and the sear ( triangle ) it's ok now. my gunsmith said that the material he used is touch but not brittle like the original part. only time will tell, and another thing, this comes with a warranty and it only cost me less tha $10.00
    as for my e-mail at SAI, it's a negative. it seems they have failed me when it comes to costumer relationship. maybe for them one in a thousand is not all that important. lets pray that mines a lemon

16. steyrile

steyrile Member

$10 is an amazing price for all that work! Your gunsmith must really enjoy what he is doing...
    Are you saying SAI refused to send you a replacement firing pin? Any explanation given? Some regulation?
    Brittle is not good.
    Health, Peace Out
    steyrile

17. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I was under the impression SAI only serves USA........

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

18. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

made a firing pin? and heat treated it? 4 tries? $10? AND IT WORKS?!!!

you owe this guy, BIGTIME!!

glad you got something up and running.

19. nuj

nuj New Member

yes until now i'm waiting for a reply from SAI Austria. it seems that they're not interested in one in a thousand lemon :doh:
    as for the firing pin, it's still in good condition and i'm planning to shoot it to death until it starts showing signs problems, then i can have one made from other materials like titanium, tungsten or cobalt . :)
    definetly the my firing pin has a weakness in its material construction. and from its design, it must have been hitting something inside the channel front section. once it goes forward it doesnt return like a normal firing pin. it float inside its own channel. check it out, dismantle the gun and try shaking the slide up and down.the firing pin just goes up and down too just like a glock. the recoil is what returns it to firing position once locked by the sear.
    well there you have it guys, steyr 1st broken firing pin. cost of repair $10 less and no reply from SAI. :wall:
    can anyone help me acquire a brand new firig pin, i'm will to pay for the cost and shipping. your help will greatly be appreciated

20. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

that is an impressive gunsmith, but I would send that firing pin back to Steyr........they might send you a new one, but the way they work they might want the gun too. I'd send it to them and have an extra firing pin.......
    what did the smithy charge you for making that piece???? :think: