.40 Cal Review & Decision

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by GB-Kev, Nov 18, 2009.

1. GB-Kev

GB-Kev New Member

Looking to buy a good .40 cal pistol. Have narrowed down to Glock 22/22c; Jericho/baby eagle; Steyr M40-A1. I have a Steyr GB and love it! Would like to buy another steyr, but am having difficulty justifying it over the other two pistols. Looking for personal experience, or links to good reviews. Thanks.

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

even glock fans will concede that the unsupported chamber in the glock 40's is a disadvantage over other manufacturer's 40's that feature a fully supported chamber, which the steyr does.

i have no experience with the baby eagle but their followers seem to like them.

when you ask steyr owners, we're likely to say get the steyr.

SAI has top notch customer service which you're unlikely to ever use as the pistols are very good.

3. 10mm4ever

10mm4ever New Member

Over the years I've had Glocks in every caliber but .357SIG and although they've always been reliable,etc I've always found them lacking in ergonomics, never liked the chincy stock plastic sights, the trigger(regardless of polishing jobs or connectors) and the fact that it's polymer frame flexes like an unsupported garden hose during firing. The Steyr addresses each of these issues in a way that no other polymer frame auto has to date! I have an M9, not a .40 but I can tell you that I was curious about the Steyr for some time before I finally took the plunge. All I can say is that I wish I had jumped in LONG ago when they could be had easily and inexpensively! I've no experience with the Baby eagle, but you're comparing vastly different platforms once the Baby eagle enters the discussion. If Steyr ever offered an enlarged M for the 10mm cartridge, I'd trade my only Glocks in a heartbeat! You can still find new or like new Steyr for 400 or less and if Steyr doesnt decide to begin reimportation at some time in the future, these pistols will become a SOLID investment.

4. GB-Kev

GB-Kev New Member

Thanks BigTaco. This helps. Do you know where I can purchase accessories and upgrades for the 40-MA1. I saw your videos today...would like to upgrade springs, etc. if I get the Steyr.

5. GB-Kev

GB-Kev New Member

Thanks 10mm4ever...your input helps. Where can you purchase MA1 accesories & upgrades...even if they are limited?

6. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer New Member

The Steyr MA1 in .40 over a Glock .40, any day. Both for ergos and for the chamber, and ability to shoot lead bullets from the Steyr. The M&P .40 is a good consideration, IMO. The Baby Eagle is not one I've handled or shot.

Handle a Steyr MA1 series. If you like the feel and the sights, I'd say that is the answer. If you add the BigTaco spring cups, you have a pretty dang good striker trigger. Add the spring, and you can cut the pull weight markedly.

IMO, the Steyr offers: lowest bore axis, nice grip angle, good value, tight chamber with good inherent accuracy, and it is something different. The customer svc support from SAI is world class, there simply is no better.

The Steyr problems: Less holster availability, tight chamber can make it vulnerable to FTFire/FTExtract problems, few alternative sight options, occasional parts supply delays from Austria to SAI, no current pistols imported from Austria to SAI.

I think it is an excellent carry pistol, and a fine competition gun. The trigger is better than the typical Glock, and perhaps better than the typical M&P. The grip angle and low bore axis make for quicker recovery in rapid fire, and the low(er) price appeals to me. So consequently I now have 4 complete M/MA1 pistols and 2 slide/barrel assemblies.

7. MPD575

MPD575 New Member

I have owned a Baby Eagle in the past and currently own a Glock 22 (.40) and a Steyr M40A1. I prefer the Steyr for accuracy and feel over the Glock. The Steyr fits my hand perfect and I love everything about it. The Steyr is my favorite pistol I own, by far, although I have shot more rounds through a Glock 22 than any other pistol made and can't really say anything bad about the Glocks. They are excellent for what they were made for (combat handgun) but as you have read they don't have the supported chamber which insn't necessarily a big deal for typical use. Parts and service are widely available for the Glock and pretty much unlimited choices when it comes to holsters and accessories. I owned a Baby Eagle compact .40 a few years back and it shot well. It was heavy because it wasn't polymer and there were some milling marks on the inside etc. The imperfections did not affect function but did make me question quality when I first got it. You will have less choices of holsters and accessories than the Glock but more than the Steyr. Obviously it all depends on your application but the Glocks and Steyr would be the more durable and easiest to maintain of the 3 in my opinion. Glocks and Steyr's are easily broken down for maintenance, lighter, and striker fired. The Baby Eagle is heavier, although there is a polymer version available, or atleast used to be, and it has the traditional SA/DA hammer action. Different strokes for different folks, handle all three, and shoot all three if possible.

8. Keltyke

Keltyke New Member

My wife and I have 9 Steyrs and we love them all! It's the most ergonomic gun I've ever held. Tightly built, 100% reliable, and damned accurate. The trigger pull makes the Block feel like sandpaper in molasses. The recoil from the M40-A1 feels like most other manufacturer's 9mm. I can't say enough about them. You won't be sorry.

9. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i make some stuff for the steyrs which you can see at btguiderods.com.

the guns are good right out of the box. changing the recoil spring wouldn't be warranted unless you were shooting loads dramatically lighter or hotter than factory.

many people like to change the rod to a stainless while keeping the factory spring rate.

the glide rites are nice. i've got grip plugs available if you don't like the hole in the grip.

thaiboxer is working on putting together a steyr limited gun. he's testing out alternative mags and i'm supposed to get a magwell together.

extended controls are on the list of things coming "soon". but soon in steyr accessories time means after christmas.

SAI has all the replacement parts you'd ever need in stock so don't be concerned about parts availability.

i'd say try to shoot a steyr and if you like shooting it it's probably the gun for you.

10. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Yes, the Glocks are combat handguns, not for competition.

Yes, the Steyr in .40 S&W is superior to the Glock, as the Steyr was built around the .40 S&W cartridge and later adapted to 9x19mm, where as the Glock was developed around the 9x19mm cartridge and later (poorly) adapted to the .40 S&W....

In defense of the Baby Eagle (I.E. Jericho 941, UZI Pistol, or EAA Witness), they do have polymer versions for those who do not want the extra weight associated with the steel frame.

They are tack drivers, have safety decockers, offer second strike capability, and if quality is a concern, you should know they are the official sidearm of the Israeli Military.

I must admit, I am more accurate with my Baby Eagles than any of my other pistols.

But that is me, and everyone should use what THEY are most comfortable with.

So, I guess ya really just need to find a way to try them all.

Good Luck!

11. rickgonz

rickgonz New Member

I have an EAA Witness (CZ design just like the Baby Eagle/Jericho) in 9 mm and a Steyr M9. My personal experience is that with the Steyr I have to be very careful with my trigger finger, not jerk it in any way because it will easily cause my aim to go off center from the target. Try dry firing both guns and you might know what I'm saying.

Perhaps because the Witness is not top heavy, with the weight distributed well it just feels better. With the heavier metal frame of the Witness (36oz vs 26oz), the "jerk" does not affect my aim at all when pulling the trigger. My Steyr aim sometimes ends up to the right or down from where I want it to be, because of my trigger pull.

I also feel the Steyr is a better point-aim gun (not using the sights). The weight difference of course means I will never tuck the Witness in my waist band with or without a holster.

On the other hand, the Jericho is also available with a polymer frame now so the weight diff would not be too much. Someone who's got that particular pistol would give you a better experience comparison.

12. Stonewally

Stonewally New Member

:drool: Cant wait to see this !!!! :drool:

13. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

not a 40cal fan, being a Glock fan, but not a 23 or C anything fan, frankly i'd get a Glock in 357sig if that was a choice. Steyr has the edge here for me if we are talking 40cal. I don't like the Baby Eagle much single/double triggers in particular. Glock 22/23 definitely don't like. I think if you are talking 40cal you might want to add the S&W MP for consideration, since they have "borrowed" many of Stery's designs in an updated handgun.

14. spamsammich

spamsammich New Member

I would also consider the M&P 40 if I were OP. That was one of the softest shooting 40s I tested, next to my M40-A1. I even liked it better than my USP 40. Plus you get a non-proprietary rail for your weapon lights and inter-changeable back straps to customize the fit. The Achilles heel for the M&P is the trigger pull and reset aren't as nice as an M40 or Glock and there have been sporadic reports of finicky feeding with certain 40 loads. To credit S&W, they have a great CS department and everybody I have polled regarding feed issues had them rectified by a prepaid trip to S&W for a bit of polish and tuning. It may also be worth noting that there are many LE departments across the country that have transitioned to the M&P 40 after bad experiences with the G22/23. I have an M&P 9 and found the trigger to markedly improve with shooting over time. I eventually tuned the reset with a simple mod to the sear.

15. GROUPER TROOPER 32

GROUPER TROOPER 32 New Member

If I were to purchase a .40 or a 9mm today, it would be the Steyr. I have owned Glocks in 9mm, .40 and .45. I only own them in .45 today because I cannot get the Steyr in that caliber, YET! My duty gun is a Glock 22. I have had no malfunctions with thousands of rounds through it. That being said, the finger grooves do not fit me and the unsupported chamber is a factor. The Steyr is a much better pistol, but just not as popular for aftermarket items. Big Taco is filling that void nicely though. Price wise......are you kidding me, call Dunns, NOW!

16. Jbabbler

Jbabbler New Member

I would also have a look at the Pre-A1 Steyr M-series. The M-series gives you a manual safety in the trigger guard that you don't get with the A1 (most). I have several Steyr pistols (not as many as babj) and I like the standard M much better. I'll admit they don't "look as cool" but I for one think they all look the same from the receiving end :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  17. breacher

breacher New Member

About a week ago I came across the 2nd M series I'd ever seen. (I own 2 MA1 series Steyrs). It was a 40 cal. with a real low 4 digit serial number for $450 out the door with 3 mags. Decent deal?

Anyway, I was really impressed with how well it fit my hand. I did not have a MA1 handy to compare at the time but I really liked the shape of the grip. Add a little texturing to the smooth areas andn it would be perfect.

Stiil thinking about it...... the shop owner says it has been gathering dust for over a year in his case. If it was a M357 I would own it already. 40 is not my favorite round....

18. Jbabbler

Jbabbler New Member

Sounds like too much to me. Waaaaaaay too much. There are severalon Gunbroker for $300-350.

19. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer New Member

Sounds high to me also. I'd offer $325.

20. breacher

breacher New Member

true- i definately would not go any higher than 4 but i think 375 would be more like it with 3 hi-cap mags. by the time i pay shipping and ffl fees we are adding about $50 to anything on GB